Two Cowboys fan behaviors that have always puzzled me

sideon

Reaction score
Funny. Particularly #2.
It muses me when fans use "we" and "us".
I guess many fans invest their emotion into the game. Thus, feel like they're part of the team.

I'm a fan, but I know the Cowboys organization couldn't careless about my well-being.
I hate that, if you're not on the roster then you're not a part of the team.

kskboys

Reaction score
The way I see it, many of us have invested so much time, energy, tears and happiness, money and years into this team. I personally have been a fan since I was really young. I was a cheerleader from K-12 and it was a dream of mine to be a Dallas Cowboys Cheerleader. I had posters of them on my wall when was five. Living in Texas, we would go to the games every season. I have vested many hours in conversation with my dad, brothers, aunts and uncles, friends and haters about this team. I buy the gear, I wear the jerseys, I sport the stickers and flags, I spend my Sundays butt firmly planted in front of my tv.. Damn right, I say “us” and “we”. lol We are a part of this organization. The unorganized part, but still very much a part of the Dallas Cowboys.

But I understand your point. Some people are more literal than others. Like my husband, (Saints fan but I’m convinced he’s a closet Cowboys fan) and when I say “us” and “we” he says “oh so now you play for the Cowboys?” Every. Frikkin. Time. So I just smile and say “You’re just jealous that I love them more than you.” :D;)
Will you marry me.

OK, I know, we need to check w/ our spouses first!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3rd_n_inches

Reaction score
If you tune into the Cowboys you are emotionally invested to some extent. I try not to use “we” when discussing the team with other team fans but for example if I have on Cowboy gear and someone walks by stops me and say’s “I didn’t catch the game did y’all win?” My response 100% of the time will be “Yes we or no we. . .”

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
IMO, a victory over a team at full strength means more, especially when that team is ranked high. That kind of win seems to give the team a spark that an easy win over a weak opponent does not.

kskboys

Reaction score
If you tune into the Cowboys you are emotionally invested to some extent. I try not to use “we” when discussing the team with other team fans but for example if I have on Cowboy gear and someone walks by stops me and say’s “I didn’t catch the game did y’all win?” My response 100% of the time will be “Yes we or no we. . .”
It's really just semantics(word meanings), and I can't for the life of me see why it bothers anyone. Why would you care if I refer to the Cowboys as "we"? Seriously, what does it matter? Simply the way people talk. We fans who are saying "we" and "us" are not seeing ourselves as Cowboy employees!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shane612

Reaction score
I was born in 1964, so ostensibly I've been a fan since the early 70's. Complete loyalty. I believe I've earned the right to say "we" and "us".

I've invested far more than emotion into this team!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unless you work for them, you're an outsider.
I like your spirit, tho.

kskboys

Reaction score
Unless you work for them, you're an outsider.
I like your spirit, tho.
Of course. However, saying we and us is nothing more than simple word usage. I often use those terms simply for the ease of use. It's easier to say "We dominated" than "the Cowboys dominated". I mean, that's 2 syllables I'm saving!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shane612

Reaction score
Of course. However, saying we and us is nothing more than simple word usage. I often use those terms simply for the ease of use. It's easier to say "We dominated" than "the Cowboys dominated". I mean, that's 2 syllables I'm saving!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:flagwave:

Rajveer

Reaction score
In the many years that I've been a member of Cowboys message boards, I've always seen two recurring fan sentiments that baffle me:

1. "I would rather that our opponent be at full strength and have all of their players healthy so that they have no excuse when we beat them, than play an injury-weakened opponent" - really? You'd rather face a strong opponent and have only a 50% chance of beating them, than an injury-weakened opponent and have a 70% chance of beating them? A win is a win and a loss is a loss in the W-L column, no matter how you got there. Injuries don't factor into tiebreakers.
  2. "We can't afford to look ahead - we need to focus on our weak opponent this week. Let's not talk about the games that lie further ahead and focus only on one game at a time." If people who say this are referring to Cowboys players and coaches, then I absolutely agree - one game at a time. But oftentimes, it seems that people who say this are referring to Cowboys fans - they seem to think that if Cowboys fans get ahead of ourselves and start talking about Thanksgiving or December or January when it's still Week 3, that somehow our behavior on an Internet message board will cause the Cowboys players and coaches to lose games by losing focus - what gives?
Point one can be made on either side of the argument. If you have a comfortable path towards the playoffs, then I would rather play a team at full strength. Playing a team at full strength and beating them generates more confidence, that helps making a deep run in the playoffs. Playing a team with an injury bug and beating them generates more hype which can hurt you in the playoffs.

On the flip side if you are still trying to make the playoffs and every win counts, then I am with you in your argument.

Jumbo075

Reaction score
1) They want to be able to talk trash to their buddies about a Cowboys win, and they know a key injury to the opponent will be used by their buddies as an excuse.

2) They like pretending they’re on this journey with the players/coaches and their fandom somehow contributes to the team’s success.

#2 is why I refer to the Cowboys as "they", not "we." I'm a fan. But I don't pretend to be part of the team, or that my fandom impacts the game. That is a pure fantasy. I try not to live in a fantasy world. But that's just me. Some people have lives that suck so bad, the only way they can cope is through fantasy. So I let them...

Doomsday101

Reaction score
In the many years that I've been a member of Cowboys message boards, I've always seen two recurring fan sentiments that baffle me:

1. "I would rather that our opponent be at full strength and have all of their players healthy so that they have no excuse when we beat them, than play an injury-weakened opponent" - really? You'd rather face a strong opponent and have only a 50% chance of beating them, than an injury-weakened opponent and have a 70% chance of beating them? A win is a win and a loss is a loss in the W-L column, no matter how you got there. Injuries don't factor into tiebreakers.
  2. "We can't afford to look ahead - we need to focus on our weak opponent this week. Let's not talk about the games that lie further ahead and focus only on one game at a time." If people who say this are referring to Cowboys players and coaches, then I absolutely agree - one game at a time. But oftentimes, it seems that people who say this are referring to Cowboys fans - they seem to think that if Cowboys fans get ahead of ourselves and start talking about Thanksgiving or December or January when it's still Week 3, that somehow our behavior on an Internet message board will cause the Cowboys players and coaches to lose games by losing focus - what gives?

True, we fans can look down the road, next years draft or even next year. Myself I have watched the NFL long enough to know even so called sure things are not always that sure of a thing. As for playing a team at full strength or less than full strength? All I can say is no one cries for Cowboy injuries and fans here are quick to say injuries are not an excuse so I don't really care one way or the other about the injuries of other teams, it is all part of the game.

GenoT

Reaction score
Here’s what I find puzzling...

1) The idea that various approaches to being a sports fan other than one’s own can — although different or even opposing — be equally valid really seems to bother the hell outta some people.

2) The above is especially puzzling when it concerns something as relatively frivolous as sports fandom.

Last edited:

3rd_n_inches

Reaction score
It's really just semantics(word meanings), and I can't for the life of me see why it bothers anyone. Why would you care if I refer to the Cowboys as "we"? Seriously, what does it matter? Simply the way people talk. We fans who are saying "we" and "us" are not seeing ourselves as Cowboy employees!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I agree and honestly the fanbase and the organization are yin and yang with each other. To receive a check from the organization doesn’t necessarily mean your are a fan of it and vice versa

Established1971

fiveandcounting
Reaction score

agree on both counts, but people like cliches

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

You always want to face the best opponent you possibly can. How do you expect to react in the playoffs if you don't play the best during the season. Reversal baffle. You can't be serious

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

One game at a time, that's for players the franchise. Us fans we don't have to live by that rule. Disagree again