Two Runningbacks the Cowboys should try to acquire

TheSport78

The Excellence of Execution
Reaction score
1) Roshon Johnson: now the 3rd string after acquiring D'Andre Swift, Johnson is a young back with lots of potential. I remember the Cowboys being high on him entering the draft a few years ago.

2) Tyler Allgeier: this one is probably less likely, but Robinson will probably handle the bulk of the carries. Falcons will be more pass-heavy with Cousins this year and might look to get some value for their backup

Thoughts?

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Tyler Allgeier would be the better choice of the two in every rushing back category, although Roshon Johnson is the better blocker in passing situations in my opinion.

quickccc

Reaction score
i don't see Cowboys trading for a C-tier backs .. they are already too over cautious about draft picks and even vet minimum cap dollars

they are gonna to rely on coaches " scheming" these JAG running backs that are/will be on the current roster (ala Zeke) and
make do until they address the worse AFTER the season.

_sturt_

Reaction score
1) Roshon Johnson: now the 3rd string after acquiring D'Andre Swift, Johnson is a young back with lots of potential. I remember the Cowboys being high on him entering the draft a few years ago.

2) Tyler Allgeier: this one is probably less likely, but Robinson will probably handle the bulk of the carries. Falcons will be more pass-heavy with Cousins this year and might look to get some value for their backup

Thoughts?
Most teams will keep 3 RBs, which is why I think you have to look at the guy(s) who just got bumped down to 4th on the depth chart for options.

And, by definition, of course, that doesn't bode well for the likelihood that whoever you would pick up is actually going to see the field, let alone rise up in training camp to be your RB1 or even RB2.

If we assume Zeke in the barn, that's one. (Snoop Conner, you're still very young, so, work hard, and maybe you can stick as a practice squad guy and get a better shot next season.) Then, assuming either Luepke or Freeman will win the FB/ST (not RB) role, you'll have Dowdle... two... and one other "change of pace" guy. Vaughn will get a better chance, I believe, to impress in training camp this summer. He could be that one other guy. But there's a BOLO for a speed guy who can give him competition.

The Jets' Abanikanda is the prototype target, imo... not yet turning heads... but also not making much money and not likely to cost more than a very late round future draft pick... but has the traits you're looking for.

nathanlt

Reaction score
Abanikanda with the Jets... try to get him on the roster, I think he's a good choice.