Two teams with targets on them

cowboybish

Reaction score
Every year there are two teams that always have a target on them. The defending Super Bowl champ, and the Dallas Cowboys. Every team that plays the defending Super Bowl champion will always be up for the game because they want to knock off the champ.

The same can be said for the Cowboys. The Cowboys will never get a break because every team wants to knock them off. To some teams knocking off the Cowboys is their Super Bowl. Is it safe to say that the Cowboys will always be at least one loss worse than their record indicates just because of who they are?

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
I don't know why we're on the hit list, not like we've been relevant in the let's say last 28 seasons!! People are hating us because of our past success which jerry our owner makes it seem like we've done something great recently

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
I think you are giving this too much credibility. Dallas hasn't won squat in nearly 30 years, hardly the feared juggernaut they used to be. Taking down Dallas in a regular season game has about as much meaning as the winner of a game between the Patriots and Broncos.

The latest game against SF, for example, was being propped up by the media as this huge battle between the Dallas and SF, with the winner as a potential super bowl favorite for the NFC. SF decided to put their best foot forward while Dallas cowered down and hid under a rock. But in the end it was the media who was making this out to be such a huge matchup. It was big for Dallas for obvious reasons, though, but I doubt SF was looking at that game as their super bowl.

I will agree with the first part of your post - everyone wants to beat the reigning champs. It's always been that way. But Dallas? These days Dallas is just a name on the schedule. No one puts any more thought into that game than they would for anyone else on the schedule.

Last edited:

Tangle_Foot

Reaction score
We never get a break because of the intensity of our opponents.
We never get a break with scheduling.
We never get a break with officiating.
We never get a break with injury.
We never get a break because of ownership.
Nothing's easy in the NFL, and despite ownership it's time this team makes his own breaks. So tap the brakes on the breaks the Cowboys don't receive ;)

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It is the truth. Most teams don’t get to play all their games in front of national TV audiences. Teams like AZ are lucky if their games are even shown locally. So, when they get to play Dallas, players take it as a showcase game where they can get some attention and recognition. A great game against Dallas on national tv can build a players brand significantly and lead to interest from other teams when contracts time rolls around.

Jipper

Reaction score
It is the truth. Most teams don’t get to play all their games in front of national TV audiences. Teams like AZ are lucky if their games are even shown locally. So, when they get to play Dallas, players take it as a showcase game where they can get some attention and recognition. A great game against Dallas on national tv can build a players brand significantly and lead to interest from other teams when contracts time rolls around.
I agree - i dont think its as much about "dallas" as much as it is about the prime time games..i think i could literally go the whole season without sunday ticket and miss maybe 2 games bc they are always on late or night.

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
I can see it now in a contract negotiation somewhere - "son, we're going to pay you 50% above market value because you were able to beat Dallas that one time on national TV. We'll just forget it was the only game you won that season".

Pretty ridiculous, right? Sorry, beating Dallas doesn't have the same meaning it would have had back in 1993 or 1994.

cowboybish

Reaction score
I don't know why we're on the hit list, not like we've been relevant in the let's say last 28 seasons!! People are hating us because of our past success which jerry our owner makes it seem like we've done something great recently
Because we have that GD moniker - Americas Team and are constantly in the media news. We get coverage when Jerry farts that's why.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Now it's because no team wants the shame of losing to us. We can barely score and if you think our fans don't think much of our QB you should hear other fan bases.

Hardline

Reaction score
The term "America's Team" painted a target on the Cowboys back. Tom Landry hated it.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that any time a team plays the Cowboys, they're going to get more viewers than usual, so they give it their best shot.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree - i dont think its as much about "dallas" as much as it is about the prime time games..i think i could literally go the whole season without sunday ticket and miss maybe 2 games bc they are always on late or night.
I dropped Sunday ticket bc every Dallas game is on national tv.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
Here’s why.

Because we, BY FAR, get the most media coverage, have most, if not all, of the highest viewer rated games, the max number of Primetime games every year, and are referred to consistently as America’s Team.

The fact that people just like you say we don’t deserve it (it’s the free market that decides this) makes it even harder to accept. It’s hating 101.

Im not sure what great philshoper said it:
“Don’t hate the player hate the game”

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Every year there are two teams that always have a target on them. The defending Super Bowl champ, and the Dallas Cowboys. Every team that plays the defending Super Bowl champion will always be up for the game because they want to knock off the champ.

The same can be said for the Cowboys. The Cowboys will never get a break because every team wants to knock them off. To some teams knocking off the Cowboys is their Super Bowl. Is it safe to say that the Cowboys will always be at least one loss worse than their record indicates just because of who they are?
KC players probably use the Nate Newton quote to opponents "Why you try so hard...You know you gonna lose..."

Proof

Reaction score
I can see it now in a contract negotiation somewhere - "son, we're going to pay you 50% above market value because you were able to beat Dallas that one time on national TV. We'll just forget it was the only game you won that season".

Pretty ridiculous, right? Sorry, beating Dallas doesn't have the same meaning it would have had back in 1993 or 1994.
not what's being said. teams just seem to enjoy beating the cowboys. not because we're some feared juggernaut, honestly probably because of the opposite. we've been lowhanging fruit and the media and fans love seeing us get bullied around, and that extends to teams and players as well.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Cowboys have had a target on them for decades. For most teams playing the Cowboys is their super bowl.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
It’s the Cowboys great history, Americas Team, Jerry Jones and the entire Cowboys mystic as to why they’re on a hit list. The Cowboys are either loved or hated. Everyone gears up for the Cowboys and they usually have a good teams.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
It’s the Cowboys great history, Americas Team, Jerry Jones and the entire Cowboys mystic as to why they’re on a hit list. The Cowboys are either loved or hated. Everyone gears up for the Cowboys and they usually have a good teams.
please define good teams