TX & OU apparently staying in Big 12 thru 2025

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I’ve seen several unsubstantiated reports including one reference to ESPN that the Big 12 is not going to release or provide them a discount to leave early .

And both schools appear unwilling to pay the hefty reported 80 million exit fees to bolt to SEC early.

So we could have a very interesting 14 team conference as the new teams will join before these departures. Hopefully more official news will be coming out soon.

All I’ve seen thus far is unofficial tweets and Facebook post citing ESPN but I’ve been unable to confirm so I’d caution it’s unofficial.

I’ll provide photo shot of one sources such speculation.
8e9NTg1.jpg

Last edited:

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I've said since day 1 that the earliest departure is 2023 but 2024 is more realistic.
OUT signed the grant of rights and would have to pay a fortune to get out early.
They may STILL do so for 2024 but it won't be at cut-rate prices.
And ESPN/SEC have no desire to just fund the Big 12 with 80M.

Largely because the Big 12 will sign a new deal vastly below the SEC TV deal but with an ESPN competitor like Fox, Amazon or NBC Universal/Hulu.

The 4 incoming teams all want a shot at OUT.
OUT have to want out wayyyy worse then the B12 wants them gone.
Especially UT who is every B12 team's favorite mark.
So it's pretty much pay the full freight or sit tight.

Still there will be a deal to be made in 2024 IMHO just not likely before.
OUT are worth too much to the teams in this conference as the massive villains they are to get let out for cheap.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I’ve seen several unsubstantiated reports including one reference to ESPN that the Big 12 is not going to release or provide them a discount to leave early .

And both schools appear unwilling to pay the hefty reported 80 million exit fees to bolt to SEC early.

So we could have a very interesting 14 team conference as the new teams will join before these departures. Hopefully more official news will be coming out soon.

All I’ve seen thus far is unofficial tweets and Facebook post citing ESPN but I’ve been unable to confirm so I’d caution it’s unofficial.

I’ll provide photo shot of one sources such speculation.
8e9NTg1.jpg
If true, this means new national #1 recruit, QB Arch Manning, who just committed today to the University of Texas, will be playing most of his college career in the Big 12 against the bigger and more competitive Big 12! Should be fun to watch.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
If true, this means new national #1 recruit, QB Arch Manning, who just committed today to the University of Texas, will be playing most of his college career in the Big 12 against the bigger and more competitive Big 12! Should be fun to watch.
I’ve been busy. Hadn’t heard . Thanks

He won’t join until 2023. So yea, he could only play one year in SEC.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
He won't hit campus (unless he reclassifies) until August of 2023.
And rumors are he will redshirt by design.
So he'd likely get 1 year of Big 12 play in 2024 then move into the SEC as the established starter.

Not a bad plan for a kid with money already who should enjoy college quite a bit.