Reaction score
I see a lot of risk for these teams with little reward.... Way to call it Randy

Law might have to lower demands
Insider
Mueller
By Randy Mueller
ESPN Insider
Archive

NFL fans looking for something to follow besides the soap opera in Philadelphia between Terrell Owens and the Eagles' front office can focus over the next few weeks on what I think is the most interesting signing to be. That would be former Patriots cornerback Ty Law and his attempt, with the help of agents Kevin and Carl Poston, to find a home for the 2005 season and beyond.

Several angles make this a case worth following. Law missed the final nine games of last season, including the playoffs and Super Bowl, because of a broken left foot. The injury required surgery, and the latest chapter unfolded about two weeks ago when he had screws removed. He reportedly has been cleared to jog straight ahead but can't cut, accelerate, turn and run or perform any other skills required to play defensive back at any level, much less in the NFL. A broken foot for a defensive back is a major concern. It's anyone's guess if Law will regain the explosiveness he needs to react and cover, and there's always the threat of re-injury.

Ty Law
Law
Other stumbling blocks remain as well. Teams have very little precious cap room at this point. As we approach June 1 and teams prepare to sign their draft picks, they are looking to create cap space, not use it up. During this part of the offseason, teams frequently must balance money added to the cap by directly subtracting, and releasing players.

Law's case gets more interesting when you consider the Poston factor. Law's representation already has taken a public stance that the injury won't have an impact on their negotiating strategy and they still are looking for a contract that pays Law among the elite at his position. And while it would seem to make sense, at least in my eyes, for a player in his situation to accept a one-year deal, the Postons have made it known that Law is not interested in a one-year deal.

As a GM, I always felt it was very hard to make a deal when the other side comes out publicly and sets parameters. There is no doubt in my mind this tactic tends to scare off teams that might have had a lukewarm interest in at least exploring the possibility of signing the player. Once the media – and, by extension, the public – is involved, pride, respect, emotions and public accountability are all in play, and the possibility of making a deal quietly behind the scenes is gone. A case in point is the Owens situation in Philadelphia. Going public with your thoughts and negotiations allows the media and public to weigh in – and keep score.

So where does that leave Law? He and his agents want some team to take all the risk, as well as taking their word that Law is going to be 100 percent healthy at some point in the future. They also want a team to pay Law as if he wasn't hurt, hadn't missed time and is still a Pro Bowl player, all at the age of 31. To do that, of course, the team signing Law likely will have to cut another player or two who might be healthy contributors in the coming season. That is a large leap of faith in my book that most teams won't be willing to take.

The most serious suitors at this point seem to be the Detroit Lions, New York Jets and Miami Dolphins. The Dolphins might be the most desperate in the aftermath of corner Will Poole's ACL injury and the trade of Patrick Surtain to Kansas City. But they might have the tightest salary cap as well, so that part will be a tough fit. The Jets are probably tired of playing against Law during all those years in the same division, so their interest is obvious, and the Lions always have showed a willingness to take a risk on injured players.

Absent are the Patriots, who have decided Law either was not worth the money he was due or not worth the medical risk. Moreover, they proved last season they can win a Super Bowl without him.

This is a classic case of risk versus reward. I think it merits following to see which team, if any, bites the bullet on his demands. Or will the Postons blink and take a discounted deal and share some of the risk associated with their client's predicament? I always enjoy making these kinds of deals with an agent who was willing to be creative and realistic about sharing risk. In NFL circles, though, the Postons don't have that reputation.