Ty Montgomery

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
What do you think of him as a small scale signing. He is a guy we like as a WR coming out of college. To me, if he is a target then I would like to utilize him more as a receiver than teams have in the past. Ive never seen him as a true HB.

Either way, I think there is some production that could be had here.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Depends if we actually use him or not. Tired of signing guys then rarely using them to help the team.

John813

Reaction score
I like him as a 3rd down back/possible mismatch if they put him in the game with Zeke here and there.
Have both in the backfield and then split him out wide.

Just tell him to not return a kickoff from the endzone.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
They're not creative enough to get the most out of him.

MaaS

Reaction score
I would love this. He'd bring a nice complementary skill set to Zeke and can line up all over the field. He runs surprisingly hard for a former WR as well.

Reactions: BAT

DasSchnitzel

Reaction score
Could we expand the scope of this thread to free agent RBs in general?

I think Montgomery could be interesting as a change up.

I'm curious about Tevin Coleman and Latavius Murray.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Could we expand the scope of this thread to free agent RBs in general?

I think Montgomery could be interesting as a change up.

I'm curious about Tevin Coleman and Latavius Murray.
Murray may be a guy willing to be a #2, but I think Coleman will want to start and may get Lamar Miller level money.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I like him as a 3rd down back/possible mismatch if they put him in the game with Zeke here and there.

One thing with Ty, I would get another back to be the true backup because I see him more as a hybrid player than a true HB. That kickoff not withstanding, he has also been a good ST contributor throughout his career.

His money would be a key point. His production doesnt scream anything more than a nominal vet contract. At that price Im very interested. However he is a "name" and may wind up getting more than he is worth for a team projecting possible production. If thats the case, he doesnt do enough of anything to tie serious into him.

DasSchnitzel

Reaction score
Murray may be a guy willing to be a #2, but I think Coleman will want to start and may get Lamar Miller level money.

Murray has also said he wants to be a starter.

It's probably unlikely that either is cheap enough to make sense but if so they've both done well as a 2nd RB.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Murray has also said he wants to be a starter.

It's probably unlikely that either is cheap enough to make sense but if so they've both done well as a 2nd RB.
With some of these guys the market might not be there for them

MaaS

Reaction score
I agree. The whole NFL likes to talk about plugging in a midround draft pick at RB, it's hard to imagine a midround RB2 getting a lot of money on their second contract. Hard to predict though.

Agreed, I haven't the slightest idea what type of contract a guy like Coleman is going to get. My guess is he goes to the Chiefs. He's a good system fit and they need a back. I'd assume he has a couple offers on the table and playing behind Zeke won't be the one he takes.

DasSchnitzel

Reaction score
What about Jay Ajayi? After last year he might be very affordable. I never felt like he was good enough to be "the guy" but as an RB2 he seems like a good option.

I dont have a strong opinion yet, I just pulled his name off a "top 100 free agents 2019" list. Mark Ingram was on there too, that caught my eye. He could be cheap as well since he's about to be 30.

cowboyschmps3

Reaction score
What do you think of him as a small scale signing. He is a guy we like as a WR coming out of college. To me, if he is a target then I would like to utilize him more as a receiver than teams have in the past. Ive never seen him as a true HB.

Either way, I think there is some production that could be had here.

Still better than lance dunbar lol

Rayman70

Reaction score
Montgomery IS a special teams guy now. I think that's why he has gone unsigned. He is JAG. Good punt return guy if your looking for a sure handed safe option. I wouldn't sign him thinking he will get enough PT to help. PASS.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
No, would rather get a young guy in the draft. Nobody the Cowboys can get will be anywhere near Zeke's performance level, so if Zeke goes down for any appreciable length of time, we're sunk. As far as getting a "complimentary" back, we've got Austin, and the draftee could also be a complimentary back.

If the line is back up to snuff, it won't matter that much anyway, Montgomery himself was a wr that the Packers turned to in desperation, and he did pretty well, but the Packers' o-line was very good, which may be a big part of why Montgomery did well changing to rb...

Dak_Attack_09

Reaction score

He would add another dimension to the offense, Cowboys can use a 2 back set to and go run or pass with motions.