Ty Willingham out as HC of Notre Dame...

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Per the ticket.

No other details given.

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
When Meyer signed on his initial Utah contract, Notre Dame was one of three schools he could bolt for with a lower buyout (Michigan and Ohio State being the others).

I think he'll be very, very interested.

DLK150

The Quiet Man
Reaction score
I'll be dipped in...Well, you know.

Two black head coaches in I-A

ESPN.com news services
SOUTH BEND, Ind. -- Coach Tyrone Willingham was fired by Notre Dame on Tuesday after three seasons in which he failed to return one of the nation's most storied football programs to prominence.

Willingham had a record of 21-15, including 6-5 this season. The Fighting Irish lost 41-10 to No. 1 Southern California on Saturday.

It was not immediately clear whether Willingham would coach the team at the Insight Bowl on Dec. 28. Notre Dame accepted the invitation to the game on Sunday.

Athletic director Kevin White scheduled a news conference for 4 p.m. ET Tuesday.

With Willingham out -- and after the recent firing of New Mexico State's Tony Samuel and resignation of Fitz Hill from San Jose State -- there are now only two black head coaches in Division I-A: Karl Dorrell at UCLA and Sylvester Croom at Mississippi State. There are 117 football programs in I-A.

In 2002, Willingham became the only first-year Notre Dame coach to lead the program to a 10-win season, posting a 10-2 regular-season record and earning a trip to the Gator Bowl. The Irish went 5-7 in 2003.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=1935138

jacs

I'd Hit It
Reaction score
http://img.***BLOCKED***/albums/v194/dmxinsd/clap.gif http://img.***BLOCKED***/albums/v194/dmxinsd/clap.gif its about dam time

zagnut

Reaction score
Is Jerry Jones the Athletic Director there?

AD: Well, Ty, the guy we fired before you stunk and couldn't recruit...and, well, we know you're winning with his players...and we lost the BC game this year by 1 and the BYU and Pitt games by 3...and, yeah, you went 8-3 and 10-2 the previous two years...but there's a guy that won at Utah and Bowling Green, and, uh, we're gonna have to let you go.

People stopped paying attention Notre Dame about 10 years ago. I can't remember the last really good player they had. Tim Brown?

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
The reality is that hype was the only thing that sold players on Notre Dame. Why else would you want to play for Notre Dame. Notre Dame translated to NFL sucess. But now kids are learning they can go elsewhere and achieve greater exposure without the academic burden and unappealing location. They have a terrible location. They are in the middle of rural Indiana which isn't exactly exciting. Why would I want to live in South Bend when I can live near South Beach in Miami. This is a different generation of kids and they didn't grow up idolizing Notre Dame. They grew up idolizing the Florida schools, Nebraksa, OU, Michigan etc.

Then let's discuss the obvious. Notre Dame's strict academic credentials, while noble, are not going to attract top high school football players. Most college players view academics as a burden. Why would they add to that burden by attending a school that demands more of them academically.

So while I applaud Notre Dame for their strict guidelines. I think they are also heavily misguided if they expect to win like they have in the past particularly with the schedule they play every year. I can understand firing Willingham but what are they going to do; fire a coach every 3 years now? That's what is going to happen because Notre Dame is not going to improve by much over what they are currently achieving.