Tyler Eifert

Sydla

Reaction score
Witten's a player. How many snaps he gets shouldn't be his call.

I suspect that's what a smart franchise would do but loyalty clearly is a big factor in Dallas so as long as Witten tells them he can play, they will play him the bulk of TE snaps.

And note, it's not like he's bad. He's still a decently effective TE. But on a team like we have, with a young QB who could use some more weapons, especially at TE, Witten can no longer be the dominant guy at that spot IMO.

armadillooutlaw

Reaction score
No one said he was elite anymore. All I said is he is the starter until he retires. That is a factual statement and true. Tell Hunter Henry who sat behind Gates the past two years, the far superior player, until Gates secured the All Time TD record, was Henry "given" starter snaps. Tell all the guys who played behind Gonzalez at his end. The great ones are clearly given some latitude. Witten who will most likely be the only HOF player for the boys since the 90s will be given this status as well. A guy who is as broke down as Eifert, who never plays, isn't going to get playing time over a guy whose skills have diminished, but never misses a game, and is going to the HOF. Just wont happen. Witten will most likely start losing some snaps this year but make no mistake he will still be the "starter" and still warrant a significant role. Until he retires.
You make a good point mentioning guys like Gates and Gonzales. I just think there are certain situations where a TE with some ability downfield would help improve this offense, like on those long 3rd and 10 situations. If they had the right guy you could even have another big, athletic TE on the field with Witten.

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
You make a good point mentioning guys like Gates and Gonzales. I just think there are certain situations where a TE with some ability downfield would help improve this offense, like on those long 3rd and 10 situations. If they had the right guy you could even have another big, athletic TE on the field with Witten.
I agree I just don't see anyone replacing Witt. Just look back at how many TEs drafted here for exactly what you reference. Witten just doesn't come off the field. He is w/o question in the twilight of his career but for me the guy has earned it. He's a pro and will realize sooner than later his presence on the field really isn't helping the team. Until that clicks for him no one will get him off the field. I'd rather see more effort put for a stud LB, S, true lock down CB, a big hog DT. We are good with the depth at TE right now.

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
Nice respectful debate appreciate your opinion.

Jinxx13x

Reaction score
Until witten decides to hang it up i dont even want to Discuss the TE situation it doesnt matter they wont see the field

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Until witten decides to hang it up i dont even want to Discuss the TE situation it doesnt matter they wont see the field

Witten most likely has a year or two left in the NFL. The best time to get a TE would be now to develop behind him because most TEs don't come into the league dominating anyways.

Jinxx13x

Reaction score
Witten most likely has a year or two left in the NFL. The best time to get a TE would be now to develop behind him because most TEs don't come into the league dominating anyways.
I hear you but we drafted that kid in the 2nd that didnt work out martellus bennett didn't work we have hanna and another guy Plus isn't that what rico gathers is for ? pass on TE IMO

mattjames2010

Reaction score
I hear you but we drafted that kid in the 2nd that didnt work out martellus bennett didn't work we have hanna and another guy Plus isn't that what rico gathers is for ? pass on TE IMO

Gathers is a pet project - if he turns into something, great. Right now he's raw and can't stay healthy. That's not the same as taking a TE in the second or even trading back and taking late in the first. Much higher upside with less risk.

Witten cannot stay in this league with his stone feet and lack of speed much longer. If a good TE prospect falls into our laps, you take him.

stilltheguru88

Reaction score
I agree I just don't see anyone replacing Witt. Just look back at how many TEs drafted here for exactly what you reference. Witten just doesn't come off the field. He is w/o question in the twilight of his career but for me the guy has earned it. He's a pro and will realize sooner than later his presence on the field really isn't helping the team. Until that clicks for him no one will get him off the field. I'd rather see more effort put for a stud LB, S, true lock down CB, a big hog DT. We are good with the depth at TE right now.
You got likes for this nonsense. Smhhhhh. He’s earned the right to not let younger, more athletic players get time in front of him? You can’t tell me on 3rd and 12 that Witten is an asset.

Techsass

Reaction score
You got likes for this nonsense. Smhhhhh. He’s earned the right to not let younger, more athletic players get time in front of him? You can’t tell me on 3rd and 12 that Witten is an asset.
Are you so sure that's all on him? I see him still getting open pretty much whichever part of the field they send him to. Granted his RAC isn't that great, but he's wide open a lot.

stilltheguru88

Reaction score
Are you so sure that's all on him? I see him still getting open pretty much whichever part of the field they send him to. Granted his RAC isn't that great, but he's wide open a lot.
Is he? I wonder how many 3rd and long conversions he was responsible for compared to a guy like Greg Olsen. I’m sure people want to put that on Dak and claim Cam has a much superior arm but that’s BS. Olsen is just way better than Witten in 2018. Give Dak a healthy Eifert and watch how the offense looks.

Techsass

Reaction score
You're probably right. My point was that I think we use him as a safety valve instead of a stick mover a lot of the time. And yes he does get separation on a very consistent basis.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Is he? I wonder how many 3rd and long conversions he was responsible for compared to a guy like Greg Olsen. I’m sure people want to put that on Dak and claim Cam has a much superior arm but that’s BS. Olsen is just way better than Witten in 2018. Give Dak a healthy Eifert and watch how the offense looks.

I would bet that Witten was responsible for more 3rd and long conversions than Greg Olsen in 2017. Olsen only played in 7 games in 2017 and only had 17 receptions from 38 targets with 1 TD. Olsen was basically a non-factor all season.

The problem with Eifert is we don't know if he will be healthy. Sure if he is, then he can be a weapon. Will he be? And is it only about 2018? Maybe he gets through 2018, but then is injured in 2019.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I suspect that's what a smart franchise would do but loyalty clearly is a big factor in Dallas so as long as Witten tells them he can play, they will play him the bulk of TE snaps.

And note, it's not like he's bad. He's still a decently effective TE. But on a team like we have, with a young QB who could use some more weapons, especially at TE, Witten can no longer be the dominant guy at that spot IMO.

Witten is still OK but can't make up for a crap WR core.

Eifert could help make up for the deficiencies at WR to some extent.

If they can only improve at one or the other (TE or WR), then it should be WR.

Witten @ TE still >>>> Dez @ WR