Tyler Smith not running with the 1s

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well, if you watch our OL the lack of BASIC technique is evident, not to mention discipline. Philbin along with others made a living off the HUG technique they used in Green Bay.
The problem being refs are now calling it as it is a pure hold. McCarthy won a super bowl too. Sometimes the stars align and good things happen.. But IMO MM is not a leader of men and is a fraud as a HC, same as his buddy Philbin was.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
No shame in that, really -- McGovern supposedly has had a big summer in the weight room and has gained considerable muscle. Maybe that's a factor in him being rewarded with more reps in practice. I'm glad to hear the competition is having a good effect on the players. Tyler has to work for his reps. ;)
Thats some news that I would love to see if McGovern has gained some size and strength, any links or do you remember the source?
Not doubting you, I just havent seen any updates on him.
They invested a 3rd rounder on McGovern for a reason, the Penn State grad has the frame and the brain, just needed a solid offseason, and would be right on schedule if he added about 15lbs and increased strength.

Last edited:

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
One day of mini camp does not make a season or certainly not a career. We fans just need to take a deep breath and wait until mid August. Could be a lot of reasons for him being with the second unit at this time. One is the vet may be having a good run currently; another is Smith is still climbing the steep learning curve; a third may be the coaches are trying to get Tyler's attention in hopes he will work even harder to earn his spot as a starter. We can only guess at this time and we probably as a group of posters may never guess the true answer. In August we will all have a good grasp on Tyler as a rookie player.
Just imagine the motivation factor if rooks where just being gifted the start.
If McGovern can actually hold off the rook, and compete all summer for the role, than this OL improved quickly.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
tenor.gif

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
You don't worry till the season starts. He should get looks at LG and LT but don't read into anything till the season starts.
Tyler is going to be just fine, and will be a fixture on this quickly improving OL.
I still advocate for my RB3 upgrade that nobody here in this forum ever backs me up on,, lol
Thats how much I believe in the OL transformation and quick rebuild that is taking place.
TFred situation left us in a state of mourning, trying to figure out how we will ever recover.
Mansquatch was a beast that is basically unmatched in this league, he was a beast, I always referred to TFred as Mansquatch for those still reading that got confused.
Point being is that players like Biadasz, Farnoik, just need to work on improving their game, and holding them to Mansquatch standards is a very lofty expectation, not just for them but any C in the league.
Losing TFred crushed this OL and it suffered immensely becuase of it, but this OL is coming out of mourning and I do see the young talent that is being developed and added.

Blackrain

Reaction score
And I wasn’t making an exaggerated statement? I’m not trying to be a smart-butt, really thought I used it right lol
Not to worry brother I think everyone understood what you were trying to convey in your post.

I'm not even worrying about it slightly at this point. I just look forward to him going against Jordan Davis when we play the eagles .That will tell me something about how good our draft pick was this year.

In short we face a lot of good defensive linemen this year and if he's getting blown up or acquiring holding penalties at the same rate as the guy we got rid of then we got a serious problem.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Well, if you watch our OL the lack of BASIC technique is evident, not to mention discipline. Philbin along with others made a living off the HUG technique they used in Green Bay.
The problem being refs are now calling it as it is a pure hold. McCarthy won a super bowl too. Sometimes the stars align and good things happen.. But IMO MM is not a leader of men and is a fraud as a HC, same as his buddy Philbin was.
Indeed, and would be hard to call holding without shoulder pads on defenders.. lol
I agree with you, and actually would be smart to run multiple practices in TC with your OL vs no shoulder pad DL, just to teach tech first.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I hate to rain on the Tyler Smith parade, but he's a project. In a normal year when a stupid number of OLmen aren't drafted in round 1, he's not a first round pick. He didn't dominate the AAC which produces very few NFL DE's and DTs. He was error prone. This isn't Larry Allen coming from Sonoma State.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Not to worry brother I think everyone understood what you were trying to convey in your post.

I'm not even worrying about it slightly at this point. I just look forward to him going against Jordan Davis when we play the eagles .That will tell me something about how good our draft pick was this year.

In short we face a lot of good defensive linemen this year and if he's getting blown up or acquiring holding penalties at the same rate as the guy we got rid of then we got a serious problem.
Had to counter that punch of the Jordan Davis add, we all saw that coming, even Dallas FO before the draft.
Maybe Smith can be our Eric Williams vs Reggie White scenario.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I know it’s only Day 1 of mini camp but it’s being said that Tyler is not practicing in the “starting five” and McGovern is still the LG.

I know I’m being hyperbole but when do YOU start to worry if Tyler is still not practicing in the top 5?

I think I start getting nervous if he’s not practicing at that spot in Oxnard.
I believe Zach Martin stated he was running behind the starters at the same juncture. No need of concern, he will be starting opening night barring an injury.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
And I wasn’t making an exaggerated statement? I’m not trying to be a smart-butt, really thought I used it right lol
TBH, it didn't seem like you were exaggerating to me, but if that's how you meant to use it, then you should have usedthe word "using" instead of "being" before "hyperbole". Sorry, but that really confused me. ;)

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Indeed, and would be hard to call holding without shoulder pads on defenders.. lol
I agree with you, and actually would be smart to run multiple practices in TC with your OL vs no shoulder pad DL, just to teach tech first.
Yeah, and I'll be happy to give them the benefit of the doubt and see if they adapt. If they watched last season and make no changes the Mike & Joe show will be leaving town before the bye week

RonWashington

Reaction score
Seriously hope a # 1 wasn’t spent on line “ depth “‘….let’s see what unfolds in camp in Oxnard . It is early to break the glass and pull the alarm . Smith has to study the playbook get comfortable and win a starting job in CAMP next month .

RonWashington

Reaction score
As the line shapes up Faniok & McGovern depth at G and Ball & Waletsco at T with several UDFA trying to grab the C job or one makes the team as depth. I like the way Dallas has built it let’s see how it performs in live action .

I have a sense that Tyler Smiths versatility at either G/T gave him the edge on draft night and I suspect his days as a starter are very soon . # 77 is who should worry MM .

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Thats some news that I would love to see if McGovern has gained some size and strength, any links or do you remember the source?
Not doubting you, I just havent seen any updates on him.
They invested a 3rd rounder on McGovern for a reason, the Penn State grad has the frame and the brain, just needed a solid offseason, and would be right on schedule if he added about 15lbs and increased strength.

I saw an article in BTB yesterday that referenced that story on McGovern. It gave him recognition of his dedicated offseason work in the weight room and the fact that he had gained strength during that process. He was given 1st string reps at LG, while Tyler didn't, as yet, at that point in time. Maybe Tyler will be given his turn when the time comes, but it didn't mention when. I suppose time will tell, regarding that aspect of their training. It's early yet.

Last edited: