Video: Tyler Smith playing this well this early at LT is legitimately shocking

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Yep, needs to work on his technique and footwork. His power and punch let's him get away with lots of stuff.

But for long term success he needs to play and just dominate at LG so he can focus on his fundamentals in a smaller area first.

Move him back to LT after full off season of honing technique and footwork.

Do not trust Philbin, more likely he ruins him for next OL coach.
That is what is scary about Tyler. At 21 years old he is holding his own at left tackle with just his raw ability. Imagine him in two seasons after he works on his craft.:omg:At first I was against him moving back to guard but playing next to Peters is to intriguing to pass over. I actually think him and McGovern would have been interesting to watch, they were whipping butt until the injury.

Reactions: BAT

Acceptablename

Reaction score
I’m relieved he’s this good early and hope they keep him right at LT and put Peters at guard.
If Peters can’t play Guard that’s another story

Scotman

Reaction score
Somebody here was a big fan of Tyler Smith before the Cowboys drafted him.

Check out this thread created on April 21st (The draft started on the 28th).
https://cowboyszone.com/threads/tyler-smith-physically-similar-to-larry-allen.495888/
I missed that thread initially.

I wasn't high on Smith simply because I hadn't heard of him. I don't watch college ball and all I have to go on is what the pundits say. Even I know enough to know that the pundits all seemingly parrot the first guy with an opinion.

The film on him, to my untrained eye, shows a guy with some of the worst technique I've ever seen. But 90% of that problem looks like he just needs to move his hands inside. If he does that, it looks like the penalties and getting out of position improves dramatically and immediately. I have no idea how hard that is to correct, but it should be coachable. Can a coach make him wear handcuffs during a game? :)

I'm loving what I'm seeing so far. I can't imagine what happens if you get an o-lineman whose strength approaches Larry Allen who also has a temperament that approaches Erik Williams.

Proof

Reaction score
Not shocking at all. Could be outstanding once he refines his skills. You can see the ability now.

what isn't shocking about it to you? considering his college limitations, relative inexperience, and zero reps prior to game 1? Especially going against some pretty talented fronts. I don't see how it's anything other than (pleasantly) shocking.

terra

Reaction score
what isn't shocking about it to you? considering his college limitations, relative inexperience, and zero reps prior to game 1? Especially going against some pretty talented fronts. I don't see how it's anything other than (pleasantly) shocking.
Shocking is an unheralded guy coming in and playing at a Pro Bowl level right away. Smith was highly regarded for his potential; a legitimate 1st rd pick.
They are supposed to do well right off.

Proof

Reaction score

Proof

Reaction score
Shocking is an unheralded guy coming in and playing at a Pro Bowl level right away. Smith was highly regarded for his potential; a legitimate 1st rd pick.
They are supposed to do well right off.

gotcha. that's a really narrow way to look at it imo. he was a back end 1st round guy who went after quite a few other OL and was expected to play guard. but splitting hairs I suppose.

RS12

Reaction score
I liked what I saw of him at Tulsa, combine drills etc. When I saw his interviews he came off as likable, intelligent and confident. When asked about being hurried into playing LT at the pro level he kind of shrugged and that's what I played at Tulsa no big deal and I believed him. So for me not shocked. What can I say. Gonna be only athetic freaks that can give him trouble because the bull rush not gonna work against him.

quickccc

Reaction score
It's a "pleasant" surprise that rookie Tyler has did this well, this soon, without the benefit of training camp and preseason in preparation of immediate LT work.

Sure he still has the tech work to nail down, but he's really looking like a natural at OT.

Now If we could only nail down that LG spot now.... :confused:

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I admit I was concerned with Smith at LT, felt he would do well at LG but needed more time before getting moved outside. Thus far he has played very well for a rookie thrown into the fire right off the bat. Right now I would say I would keep him at LT, bring Peters in to play LG

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Here’s a good video breaking down the line including Smith against Cincy, and I have to say it’s just remarkable. Smith did not have good tape at tackle in college even against fairly poor competition. He showed every major flaw you can exhibit at tackle. I thought he would struggle mightily this year. And yet somehow he’s performing not just well but exceptionally well.

I am happy to eat all the crow on this one. I did not think he could survive at LT out the gate. I thought he would be a good guard for us right away but not at tackle.

Props to this kid to working his behind off in the offseason because his hand placement has improved significantly from colllege.

Ken

Reaction score
The thing I LOVE seeing in this video that I didn't really pick up on before...was the running of counter tre's. We ran it to both sides using both G's and Ts.

This is something I don't remember us doing before....am I mistaken?
Here is Baldy talking about it....

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
Not saying the comparison is the same, but didn't we say something like this last year in regards to #11? Let's keep hope he continues to develop

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Because he has done an overall great job with the recent drafts.
That's a universal opinion and not just mine.

you are missing my point. Is he the only person deciding on draft picks? Nobody else had any says so? Nobody else had an opinion? I find it hilarious how we pick and chose who gets the credit when a pick is good and who gets the blame when a pick stinks.

terra

Reaction score
gotcha. that's a really narrow way to look at it imo. he was a back end 1st round guy who went after quite a few other OL and was expected to play guard. but splitting hairs I suppose.
Virtually all the scouting services had him as a first rd pick. You expect any first rd pick to if not start play a lot their first year. So ipsofacto Smith starting is no surprise at all.
Given his physical gifts, also not surprising he can handle that part of the position. What was up in the air was his technique and of course penalties. So far penalties are not a problem and he has shown decent if not great technique.

Reactions: BAT

Proof

Reaction score
Virtually all the scouting services had him as a first rd pick. You expect any first rd pick to if not start play a lot their first year. So ipsofacto Smith starting is no surprise at all.
Given his physical gifts, also not surprising he can handle that part of the position. What was up in the air was his technique and of course penalties. So far penalties are not a problem and he has shown decent if not great technique.

Smith’s technique is inconsistent enough that he probably shouldn’t be relied upon as a Day 1 starter at the NFL level.

There is some bust potential present, but the ceiling could draw a team to him on Day 2 of the draft.

GRADE: 7.4 (High-Level Backup/Potential Starter - 3rd Round)

OVERALL RANK: 64

If Smith is drafted on his potential alone teams could argue he has value in the first round but currently, we consider him as a likely third-round selection in the 2022 NFL Draft.

This upside could warrant a late first-round pick, but he’s more likely to come off the board early on Day 2.

Projection: Top 50

these are blurbs from the first 5 “Tyler Smith scouting reports” google results. Virtually all of the scouting reports did not have him as a first rounder. Sone had him as a fringe first rounder. ALL of them harped on his rawness and Dallas specifically drafted him to play OG. Him starting is not a surprise. Him playing so well this quickly is the surprise. Considering what “virtually all of the scouting services” actually said about him, along with the noted technique and penalty issues..Kudos if you saw it coming though.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
you are missing my point. Is he the only person deciding on draft picks? Nobody else had any says so? Nobody else had an opinion? I find it hilarious how we pick and chose who gets the credit when a pick is good and who gets the blame when a pick stinks.
I give credit to Will, Good or Bad.
Ultimate credit to Jerry for paying Will to stay.
That's how I see it.
How about you ?

Proof

Reaction score
I liked what I saw of him at Tulsa, combine drills etc. When I saw his interviews he came off as likable, intelligent and confident. When asked about being hurried into playing LT at the pro level he kind of shrugged and that's what I played at Tulsa no big deal and I believed him. So for me not shocked. What can I say. Gonna be only athetic freaks that can give him trouble because the bull rush not gonna work against him.

yeah, oddly enough his personality is what won me over. just seemed like a likeabke, level headed kid who wasn’t overwhelmed at all. still thought there’s be growing pains though. what i especially love is that it can kill any remaining chatter (not that there’s much left) about passing on slater