Tyler smith reminds me of flo

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
This pick in my mind will be linked to Jermaine Johnson. It will be interesting how it turns out.

Gaede

Reaction score
This pick in my mind will be linked to Jermaine Johnson. It will be interesting how it turns out.

I didn't love JJ, so I'm OK passing over him. I did love Linderbaum, and I think he should've been the pick. We had a chance to upgrade the roster there in a big way. But the team did nothing in free agency to fill G, so they HAD to get one.

Ultimately, they didn't really have a ton of great choices, so it's not the worst pick.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Kiper had him 33rd on his final prospect list.

So we took him as a reach, perpetuated by the fear that NE may be looking for O-LINE (taking Strange at 29).

Kiper can say what he wants in a vacuum, but in reality the guy has DEVELOPMENTAL (positional and technique) written all over him and we're relying on Philbin who proceeded over an O-Line that from Week 9 gave up and which he couldn't rectify.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Tennessee was taking him at 26.

Yep, and possibly NE at 29, who also drafted a reach Guard and may also have preferred Smith.....The fact that this pick was highly rumored in the media, and combined with Jerry's comment about "out of the box thinking" at least it looks as if this is the guy they wanted.

What it means is that the FO (inc McClay and Philbin) cant fall back on the "we were wiped out" excuse, this who you wanted and a lot of their reputations are based on this 1st Rounder (Taco or Frederick 2.0).

Its a hard sell to the fanbase especially when: the FO were pushed into this move due to the lack of FA activity, there were a number of 1 or 1/2 grades still on the board and more so......as a developmental player we're giving him to Philbin.

Reactions: BAT

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
So we took him as a reach, perpetuated by the fear that NE may be looking for O-LINE (taking Strange at 29).

Kiper can say what he wants in a vacuum, but in reality the guy has DEVELOPMENTAL (positional and technique) written all over him and we're relying on Philbin who proceeded over an O-Line that from Week 9 gave up and which he couldn't rectify.

No, we just didn't take him where Kiper had him rated. Jerry says we had him rated 16th, so he wouldn't be a reach. The Titans tried to trade up in front of us and then tried to trade with us. They reportedly admitted to the Joneses afterward that Smith was the player they were targeting.

Reactions: BAT

jrumann59

Reaction score

Even top 5 players have holes. At the bottom of the 1st with talent levels bunching together all the players will have developmental things that need work. This guys biggest issue is hand placement and footwork, things that can be fixed as opposed to motor or strength in some cases. This kid literally had zero OL coaching at the college level

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Everyone who thinks this guy was a bad pick isn't paying attention.

And if they are, they're just reacting about how they feel about not getting their favorite x player..

We got a good player here. It was a smart pick.

Here's why: Tyler Smith gives you position flex across the offensive line..If you need him to, you can move guys around and plug in your swing guy if someone gets hurt. The Patriots want position flex along the o-line, too. That's what Smith has.. That's why the Patriots jumped up and grabbed Cole Strange, because Strange, too, can play all the positions on the line.

Much like our boy Tyler Smith has here.

I believe maybe the Patriots wanted Smith or Strange, because of position flex.. and when we moved up for Smith, they drafted Strange.

That was actually a good pick for them.

Just like this was a good pick for us.

This guy's technique isn't really THAT bad for college, because his strength makes up for it.

He's going to be a huge asset to this team.

You just watch.

You guys are just too reactionary to realize it.

Last edited:

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Tennessee was taking him at 26.

And Pats at 29, I'm going to say.

The reason they drafted their player is due to position flex.

Same thing we got with this bulldozer. This guy reminds me of refrigerator Perry. Like as far as his nastiness. lol

Like, for real. He's a big ole' meanie.

We had to because the Eagles got ther guy. This pick was to deal with them.

I agree. His technique is not perfect. But he still wins 95% of his snaps.

The other thing to keep in mind is, yes, his technique is not perfect. But he's only 20-years-old.

And we have a five year option on him. He plugs in at guard from the start. And gives you flex pretty much everywhere on the line, cept maybe center.

So you can bring less olinemen to the game, and more players at other positions.

It's brilliant. Gives you more players come gametime.

Pats are doing the same thing.

Last edited:

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Just thinking of Linderbaum vs Jordan Davis is a ball shrinker.

I didn't love JJ, so I'm OK passing over him. I did love Linderbaum, and I think he should've been the pick. We had a chance to upgrade the roster there in a big way. But the team did nothing in free agency to fill G, so they HAD to get one.

Ultimately, they didn't really have a ton of great choices, so it's not the worst pick.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I'm flabbergasted. Was this guy not projected as a third round pick? JJII was sitting there as an arguable top -10 pick at a position of need...

and we took Tyler Smith? Y'all talk me down. May be good pick, but where is the value?
Where is this 3rd round nonsense coming from?