Type of player you prefer

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Yakuza Rich said:
always laughs at them showing highlights of Hall vs. Owens when T.O. had 10 catches in that game, eating up Hall all night long.

me too, I guess if you hoot and holler enough you did a good job lol

dallasfaniac

Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
I'm saying it's bad because Emmitt was more than consistent, he was amazing, and made a ton of plays in his career

more 50+ yard runs (Barry) aren't as good as more rushing TDs (Emmitt)

I guess we view Rock Steady and Playmaker differently. I view Emmitt more as Rock Steady. He wasn't a highlight real, other than TDs, in my opinion and a large portion of them were because Irvin would be downed 1 to 5 yards from the goalline. Emmitt to me wasn't a guy I wanted busting the 50+ yard plays because we would pound the other team play after play until they submitted. He was consistently getting that 4 yards a carry and picking up those 3rd and shorts. I remember him being one of those guys that got better as the game went on, laying hits, picking up those yards. Emmitt didn't improvise most of the time, he would pick his hole, cut to the left in front of the linebacker and pick up his 20.

On the reverse I see Barry Sanders as the playmaker. The guy you would see on the highlights not because his team won, but because he was breaking ankles out there. You'd see a crowd of Bears players tackling Barry, then all of a sudden he burst out of the crowd and went the distance. You'd see another play where he'd run 200 yards total, but the play started at the 50. Barry would see his hole, cut to the left instead, see a DE coming his way, cut it back to the right, juke his way past another DE, run around the right side of the line, cut it to the left of the linebacker, sidestep the safety, spin his way past the other safety, and then outrun the corner to the endzone.

I liked both players, but if I had to classify them, Emmitt would be Rock Steady and Barry would be the Playmaker. I'd take the Rock Steady any day. But that's just me.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
Rack said:
Poll doesn't make sense.

Of course you'd want BOTH types of players on your team. It all depends on what your team needs.

Yep you are right.

And a second thing is: what playmaker means to me is someone like Deion who has the ability change the outcome of the game with great plays but doesn't make (big) mistakes.

I always take someone like that over a good (rock steady) player.

ComicBookGuy

Reaction score
I don't get why they are mutually exclusive. Deion was a playmaker but I don't remember him making many mistakes. If someobdy is good enough to be a playmaker, they are probably good enough to be consistent. I'll take a team full of playmakers.