Type of player you prefer

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Crown Royal said:
Those type of FS also often take chances and get burned. I'd rather have FS who knows his job - the defense's last line - and NEVER lets anywone past.

Play that way and you'll get your picks.

So you'd rather have a George Teague? Not a bad choice, and I wouldn't mind that. But I'd prefer an Ed Reed.

I want a nasty, mean, knuckledragging, snot blowing linebacker barely civilized enough to sit at the table and use silverware.

I hear ya! Sadly those types of LBs are extinct. I wouldn't even put Ray Lewis (in his prime) in that category.

You're talking Dick Butkus. Although I don't think Butkus knew how to use silverware.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
I'll go by what BIll stated he wants on his D, catalytic playmakers, steady is good, but playmakers get you rings

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
StanleySpadowski said:
I disagree. Who on the Steelers is really a playmaker? Defensively, Polamulu would probably be the closest thing the Steelers have to one, maybe Porter but neither made as many big plays last year as say Roy Williams or Ware.

Offensively Roethlisberger was about it. Ward doesn't make a huge amount of big plays but is steady as can be.

but the difference is, the Steelers have ALOT of steady players

btw, Willie Parker is a heck of a playmaker

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
you do need both, but I thought we were being asked which we prefered?

The answer still applies. I don't "prefer" one over the other cuz I know you need BOTH to win.

The casual fan probably would say they prefer the playmaker cuz they don't know any better. All they do is watch the sportscenter highlight of the LB intercepting a pass and taking it to the house. Not paying attention to the SOLID OLB that had his man covered and forced the QB to throw to someone else in the first place.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Rack said:
The casual fan probably would say they prefer the playmaker cuz they don't know any better. All they do is watch the sportscenter highlight of the LB intercepting a pass and taking it to the house. Not paying attention to the SOLID OLB that had his man covered and forced the QB to throw to someone else in the first place.

true, but remember Parcells saying that he wanted catalytic playmakers on D? and how the name of the game is to make more plays than the opponent? prefering a playmaker to a steady player is far from being naive

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
true, but remember Parcells saying that he wanted catalytic playmakers on D? and how the name of the game is to make more plays than the opponent? prefering a playmaker to a steady player is far from being naive

He didn't say that's ALL he wanted.

dallasfaniac

Reaction score
Barry Sanders or Emmitt Smith?

Sanders would bust out an amazing 60 yard play, leaving people shoeless......after 8 straight negative yardage plays.

Smith wouldn't always have a game with a 60 yard run, but you could count on positive yardage every play, count on picking up that third and short, count on the TD when you got within 5 of the endzone.

Both were amazing players, but personally I would take Smith any day because you knew what you were getting. Consistent production.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
dallasfaniac said:
Barry Sanders or Emmitt Smith?

Sanders would bust out an amazing 60 yard play, leaving people shoeless......after 8 straight negative yardage plays.

Smith wouldn't always have a game with a 60 yard run, but you could count on positive yardage every play, count on picking up that third and short, count on the TD when you got within 5 of the endzone.

Both were amazing players, but personally I would take Smith any day because you knew what you were getting. Consistent production.

Emmitt rushed for 25 TDs in a single season, which was a record, averaged 4 yards per carry for his career, NFL's all-time, rushing TDs leader, bad analogy

dallasfaniac

Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
Emmitt rushed for 25 TDs in a single season, which was a record, averaged 4 yards per carry for his career, NFL's all-time, rushing TDs leader, bad analogy

Bad analogy because you say so? In comparison between Emmitt and Barry which would you say is a flashy playmaker? Which would you say was consistent? How is that a bad analogy? Or maybe you think it's bad because you think someone that is consistent shouldn't have good numbers.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
dallasfaniac said:
Bad analogy because you say so? In comparison between Emmitt and Barry which would you say is a flashy playmaker? Which would you say was consistent? How is that a bad analogy? Or maybe you think it's bad because you think someone that is consistent shouldn't have good numbers.

I'm saying it's bad because Emmitt was more than consistent, he was amazing, and made a ton of plays in his career

more 50+ yard runs (Barry) aren't as good as more rushing TDs (Emmitt)

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
Rack said:
Poll doesn't make sense.

Of course you'd want BOTH types of players on your team. It all depends on what your team needs.

Yeah, I agree.

If you have too many playmakers, then you're going to lack the meat-and-potato guys that just go about cleaning up plays. Likewise, if you have nothing but rock solid players, you risk playing a brand of game that never makes any significant, game-changing plays.

The question is good, but needs to be made a little more specific. Personally, on defense, I like to have at least one playmaker on every level -- along the line, at linebacker and in the secondary (maybe even two in the secondary, one at corner and one at safety).

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Dale said:
The question is good, but needs to be made a little more specific. Personally, on defense, I like to have at least one playmaker on every level -- along the line, at linebacker and in the secondary (maybe even two in the secondary, one at corner and one at safety).

:hammer:

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
Rack said:

Ya know, and this goes back to the point you made about the casual fan, but I think the term "playmaker" is one that doesn't have a true definition anymore. It's almost cliche.

And this is not to ram the individual that started this thread....again, the intent was good and it is a good question in nature, but in thinking of a response I was driven to the following feeling.

I recall a few years back Washington's safety, Matt Stevens, had something like 5 interceptions as a backup. Yet, whenever he was on the field, he was seemingly burned play after play.

Then you have running backs who can scoot outside and pick up a 20-yard gain, but will get stuffed for a five-yard loss on 3rd and 2.

Lastly, what even constitutes as being a playmaker? Now, Roy has proven to be a playmaker at many times during his career -- providing the big hit to change momentum, running back a game-winning interception, forcing a goal line fumble in the 4th quarter that should seal a game, etc....yet I've seen many suggest that, other than providing the big hit, he does little to make plays.

Meanwhile, a guy like LaVar Arrington is considered by many to be the ultimate playmaker -- a guy who makes the highlight play, and then blows his assignment on the next. Yet he hasn't recorded an interception since 2001 and hasn't had more than 1 sack since '03.

I just think it's interesting because it seems like the perceived and real playmakers are sometimes different.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
you're right, we have to define playmaker, and rock-steady

you want Lavar as a playmaker, or Ed Reed?

you want Mike Vrabel as a player, or Matt Bowen?

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
I think Newman is a playmaker. He's struggled early on with locating the ball but a lot of CB's have that problem early on. Last year, outside of dropping the INT that was thrown behind him against Denver, he made plays. Problem was that he was so good in coverage they only threw the ball his way about 4 times a game.

I'll believe you can teach anybody just about anything. It's been proven that teachers have gotten guys to run faster 40 times, how to get better bench press numbers, etc.

The thing is that I think the learning curve is less for natural playmakers to get out of bad habits than it is for rock steady players to learn how to make plays.

Thus, I'll always take the playmaker.

Rich...........
always laughs at them showing highlights of Hall vs. Owens when T.O. had 10 catches in that game, eating up Hall all night long.