Tyron is looking good

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Tyron is looking like the Tyron of old. PFF rates him 91.6/2nd. The "old man, bad back" look is gone.

So big for the team to get Tyron back to being Tyron. All Pro LT. All Pro G in Martin. Decent play from 3 others. That's a good oline.

And Tyron is now a *cheap* olineman as well. At least his contract was, though we've raided the Cap Bank of Tyron for over 20mil over the years.

Tyron healthy means those loans don't come immediately due. We don't have to spend a big pick on oline. We get All Pro play. And could be set for a few more years this way.

Yuge.

https://www.pff.com/nfl/players/tyron-smith/6161

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I don't recall cutting him as a want (though it wouldn't surprise me around here), but I do still believe grooming his replacement is an important thing. The season is still young.

How often do teams "groom" LTs? I think it's a position that you spend a 1st and develop. I'm not spending a 1st to sit him to groom.

Sure, it would be nice to get a quality starting LT out of a groomed 3rd or 4th round pick, but I think the pool of talent at those measurables is just too limited for that.

I'm for taking a swing. Ball is a swing. Probably won't pan out. But I expect to have to use a top pick to get a new LT.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
If we put a poll out on CZ and voted on off-season moves…. And the team had to act on the results of the polls, we would struggle to win three games in any given season.

And maybe I’m overestimating that.

We haven’t exactly been the winningest bunch if you haven’t noticed so I’d relax on the I told you so’s.

We’re having a great season and I’m going to enjoy it but until they actually win something I’ll hold back on calling out everyone who questions them.

Right now they have a perfect storm for things going their way and it starts with Dan Quinn & Micah Parsons.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Tyron is looking like the Tyron of old. PFF rates him 91.6/2nd. The "old man, bad back" look is gone.

So big for the team to get Tyron back to being Tyron. All Pro LT. All Pro G in Martin. Decent play from 3 others. That's a good oline.

And Tyron is now a *cheap* olineman as well. At least his contract was, though we've raided the Cap Bank of Tyron for over 20mil over the years.

Tyron healthy means those loans don't come immediately due. We don't have to spend a big pick on oline. We get All Pro play. And could be set for a few more years this way.

Yuge.

https://www.pff.com/nfl/players/tyron-smith/6161
What does “Yuge” mean:huh:

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I doubted his health from the get go, clearly pleased he looks healthy as a horse right now and happy to say I have been wrong
Maybe not, we are only in week 5 of the season. Tyron's health is good fortune but could spin on a dime at any time now... then won't you look smart doubting his ability to stay healthy. Just saying. ;)

Cebrin

Reaction score
How often do teams "groom" LTs? I think it's a position that you spend a 1st and develop. I'm not spending a 1st to sit him to groom.

Sure, it would be nice to get a quality starting LT out of a groomed 3rd or 4th round pick, but I think the pool of talent at those measurables is just too limited for that.

I'm for taking a swing. Ball is a swing. Probably won't pan out. But I expect to have to use a top pick to get a new LT.

I don't entirely disagree. Even with a top 10 pick it's a crap shoot. With most college teams hardly ever playing in a 3 point stance it has become incredibly more difficult to evaluate talent. It still wouldn't hurt to drag the waters now and then instead of drafting 30 WR's for the practice squad. We'll see what Ball has soon enough.