Twitter: Tyron Smith: "I’m going to do my best to play all 17 games.”

John813

Reaction score
I think it is about "NFL mileage" vs just pure age.

Think about Terrence Newman. Came in the league at 25, and started games for 16 seasons until he was 39.

And I would doubt that Tyron plays 16 seasons in the NFL, let alone until he is 39. That's just too much mileage for a body to take, especially in the trenches.

Sort of like Andrew Whitworth. He came into the league at 25 in 2006, and still is playing at a good level at age 39.

But, imo it sort of is like genetics, injury luck and how much punishment guys want to take. Richie Incognito is 38, been in the league for 16 years and still is a very good guard.

I can't see Smith going for 16 years either unless he can shake the injury bug from his neck to his back. IMO he would retire early than have another surgery on his back. Doesn't seem like a guy who would trade more playing time for invasive surgeries.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
When you say it year after year, it's a bit hard to believe, then again what is he supposed to say?

Smith has not made those comments in the past he also did not have the off season procedure he just had. I will say in the game of football any player predicting being healthy the entire season and not missing any time is a long shot. The game is physical and players get hurt and miss time. Last season was the most time he has ever missed playing in only 2 games.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I think it is about "NFL mileage" vs just pure age.

Think about Terrence Newman. Came in the league at 25, and started games for 16 seasons until he was 39.

And I would doubt that Tyron plays 16 seasons in the NFL, let alone until he is 39. That's just too much mileage for a body to take, especially in the trenches.

Have no ideal how long Tyron will play

SlammedZero

Reaction score
Well he knows his body better than, well anybody, so if he says he is feeling great I will take his word for it. Let's hope he can make it down the stretch as he is a very integral part of this offense (not that this is a secret).

Soth

Reaction score
If T. Smith and Collins play all 17 games I am fairly confident we make the playoffs.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
That is one big dude! Rooting for him.

Trying to think of someone of his pedigree that struggled with injuries like that for a few years then came back fully healthy for a year or two in his 30's?

Can't think of anyone. Neck or back related is usually the kiss of death.

I would also like to see another lineman in the HOF, so hoping he can pull it back together for a few more years.

Tussinman

Reaction score
If he's back to past form, and according to Randy Gregory Tyron has been as impossible to beat as there is, this is huge. A definite HOFer and may go down as a top 3 LT of all time.
Yeah I always laugh when users on here are like "ehhh he will probably get in" or "he might make it".

Dude was the 2nd best LT of the entire 2010 decade and accolades include 1st team all-decade, 7x pro bowl, and 7x NFL top 100. Dude is easily a hall of famer currently and could very well add to his accolades if he plays another couple of years.

Tussinman

Reaction score
I had been saying for several years now that he should have had surgery on his neck years ago, but the many doctors in here said no because there was no guarantee he would come out better...but quite possibly worse.

Well...

I'm not going to say it...but you know...

Glad Tyron FINALLY had the courage to have injury correction surgery on his neck. Hope he stays healthy.
It was a double edge sword. Cowboys coming off a #1 seed in 2016 meant the team wanted to keep the ball rolling. The surgery basically requires you to have it during the season in order to be ready for the next. Tyron along with the franchise thought 2017-2019 was there window to win so he choose to tough it out

Those same fans saying "he should of already had the surgery" would have been the same ones crucifying him if he had had it during that window (we would of heard "why is he having an elective surgery during our window to win" and "back in my day the players would have toughed it out, this generation is soft").

It's easy in hindsight to say he should of had it years ago because we know the combined team result was medicore during that stretch.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
It was a double edge sword. Cowboys coming off a #1 seed in 2016 meant the team wanted to keep the ball rolling. The surgery basically requires you to have it during the season in order to be ready for the next. Tyron along with the franchise thought 2017-2019 was there window to win so he choose to tough it out

Those same fans saying "he should of already had the surgery" would have been the same ones crucifying him if he had had it during that window (we would of heard "why is he having an elective surgery during our window to win" and "back in my day the players would have toughed it out, this generation is soft").

It's easy in hindsight to say he should of had it years ago because we know the combined team result was medicore during that stretch.

I don't blame him. I thought it was our year too. 2016 was one of those magic years. Most dominant oline in the league with 2 guys tied for ROY at QB and RB. I really thought we were going all the way, and crushed when it didn't happen. We hadn't seen much of D-Ware, Jaylon or Irving yet and had high hopes. No one realized Dez & Witten were washed up yet.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score

I said he should have done the surgery because of my experience with a lower back surgery. Today's technology is so advanced that it mostly does what it recently did for Tyron: fixed his neck issue and required very little time to heal and recover back to 100%. Stop judging people when you don't know their reasoning. You sound ridiculous.