Tyron's health and plan B at LT

ThatJerryKid

cowboys31
Reaction score
McCarthy will overcome Smith’s absence in a few games each year. Garrett couldn’t. You see, McCarthy isn’t a moron.....

Dak_Attack_09

Reaction score
Not sure how much longer Tyrons back holds up.

Fleming is probably the back up option for the coming season in the event of injury, but I wouldn't think he would be a plan for a starting LT if Smith decides to retire before this season or next.....

Is Collins a LT in this league, or would we look for a replacement?

I've heard many of you say Williams is not a G. Is he a T? Did he play LT at Texas?

McGovern projects as a starting LG, and we are set at RG and C.

Would Collins at LT and Williams at RT work....capability wise that is? Obviously Tyron is the best solution but his body may have other ideas.

Xavier Su’a Fulio can play LG at all pro level, move Connor Williams to Left Tackle.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Where do you X and Os guys think Connor Williams should play?

Especially all of you that repeatedly said he isnt a guard.

reddyuta

Reaction score
imo the draft is the best option,we need to draft a guy who can actually play in the mid RDs.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Better than Cam “I get destroyed every time I’m on field” Fleming. I’m not a Dak fan, but Dak was getting killed on almost every play during the Jets game when Tyron was out. Dak literally almost got a concussion on the 1st or 2nd drive of the game because of him.

Looney didn't even play OT in college. At 6'3" his arms are way too short to effectively play on the outside.

You do know OL positions require different types of players, right?

DCCowboys11

Reaction score
In my opinion Connor Williams is and should be the future at LT. He is not and never was a guard. He’s got the feet and athleticism to play LT. The Cowboys need to start this transition now and consider moving on from Tyron after this year.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Fleming is probably the back up option for the coming season in the event of injury, but I wouldn't think he would be a plan for a starting LT if Smith decides to retire before this season or next.....

I've heard many of you say Williams is not a G. Is he a T? Did he play LT at Texas?

Would Collins at LT and Williams at RT work....capability wise that is? Obviously Tyron is the best solution but his body may have other ideas.

Collins is not an NFL LT.

Connor Williams
He has LT feet (quickness) but not the prototype arm-length; although one of the All-Time great LTs had shorter arms (Joe Thomas) and many others have started at LT with "medium" arm length.

Note: CW and La'el have basically the same arm length.

Probably would have practiced some at LT in 2020 but coming off the ACL injury will limit him in the off-season.

Fleming is not good at LT. He is better suited to play RT.

Mitch Hyatt has good measurables for LT and showed excellent foot quickness in college; however, he was terrible in the preseason. Despite 28 bench reps pre-draft, he was very weak against NFL players. His lower body strength was terrible. He was out-played by fellow udfa Brandon Knight who, in college, appeared to be less talented. To be fair, Hyatt played LT in the preseason while Knight played RT & OG.

I would like to see them acquire a developmental OT with high potential upside (The OT equivalent of 2019 OG draft pick Connor McGovern).

The issue with a high-ish upside developmental player is that developmental means not a player to count on in 2020.

The Cowboys still miss the days of having a swing Tackle that was better than their starting RT and that could play both LT and RT better than many teams starters at those positions.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

If and when the time comes that Smith isn't a Cowboy, the answer would be obvious to me.

I move Martin to LT and have Williams and McGovern at guard.

DuncanIso

Reaction score

he will be fine.

we have bigger problems.

starfan1

Reaction score
Williams is fine and at this point healthier and probably Better than Smith....

been in the league 9 years played 2 complete seasons you’re basically getting what your letting go he and Tyron are similar in fact I’d lean smiths way.

plus what you’re going to have to give up? What’s his contract situation? I think I’d stick with smith and like mentioned smith although not what he once was isn’t at the top of the list in terms of cowboy problems

fix the defense first then get some quality depth in other spots

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Zeke is fat. We can try him and Pollard goes for 2k

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Williams is our best bet, IMO, for replacing Smith at LT. However, I believe that Smith is a long way away from the end of his career. To be honest, I would be more worried about the Center position and the long term implications of Fred Beard. It may well be that Fredbeard regains his strength and returns to his lofty level of play but if you are really paying attention, the biggest problem we had along the OL last year was Center. That has to improve next year if we are to contend at any level.

Kareemovweet

Reaction score
been in the league 9 years played 2 complete seasons you’re basically getting what your letting go he and Tyron are similar in fact I’d lean smiths way.

plus what you’re going to have to give up? What’s his contract situation? I think I’d stick with smith and like mentioned smith although not what he once was isn’t at the top of the list in terms of cowboy problems

fix the defense first then get some quality depth in other spots
Yeah I hear you but I just think Smith, especially at the end of he season is just about done. I would take a chance on Williams... Now the Skins might not want to give him up, but it sure doesnt seem like he wants to be there.. Maybe now that they had Rivera that might change also...

mattjames2010

Reaction score
We have this thread literally every offseason for a guy who hasn't missed any significant time in his entire career.