TYS: Running game

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I've been consistent on this subject since day 1. You are the one twisting the facts to suit your take that it's a passing league now and that's what wins.

You know what? Today is a good will day. I'm not going to go down this road again. My posts on the topic are there for anybody to read if you (or they) think my argument has changed a bit after the impressive win last night, feel free to dig them up if you really care too. From where I'm sitting, as I said earlier, nothing has changed. I think you continue to misunderstand the argument that was made, all along, but it's not important enough to disagree about all that much on a day where I'd rather just enjoy beating a talented Saints team.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
You know what? Today is a good will day. I'm not going to go down this road again. My posts on the topic are there for anybody to read if you (or they) think my argument has changed a bit after the impressive win last night, feel free to dig them up if you really care too. From where I'm sitting, as I said earlier, nothing has changed. I think you continue to misunderstand the argument that was made, all along, but it's not important enough to disagree about all that much on a day where I'd rather just enjoy beating a talented Saints team.

Again, I didn't misunderstand anything. So you still believe it's a passing league then?

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
To me, the difference between the week 1 loss and the other games are the turnovers. When it's all on Romo, we don't play well. When he is not the main focal point of the offense, we do very well. Linehan gets a lot of credit here IMO. He's the one that's drawing up the game plans and he's the one who has made a change in the offense that seems to indicate a commitment to the run game. In past years, you would see the Offense abandon it (you can say it was Romo or you can say it was Garrett, doesn't matter). Now, based on the early performances, we are no longer doing this.

It's paying off in the early going.

waving monkey

Reaction score
These pass happy posters were saying the past couple of years it's a passing league now and the running game isn't as important. If this site had any kind of decent search mechanism I'd post the threads. Several posters lambasted me for championing the running game and even some mods.

I know that, but nobody denies the important s of the run and it is a passing league.
We got so far away from the run because we weren't very good at it.
The great failure was we couln't run it in the red zone,that killed us
But if you want to feel good about always pointing out the lak of running ,OK your right.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
I discussed this with Pat Kirwan a few years ago.

He told me that ALL of the QB's he talked to (Rodgers, Brady, Brees, etc) said they would rather have more receivers than blockers when facing the blitz. They didn't like having less options of players to throw to. So, I think a lot of these pass happy offenses are due to the QB's telling the coaches and owners that is what they prefer.

What I have seen from the Cowboys, ironically, is that they are more like a Joe Gibbs offense. They run the ball and gain first downs with the running game. Then they have added extra blockers and when the opponent blitzes, Romo has all day to throw the ball. And because the defense is blitzing, it is leaving single man-to-man coverage on the outside. I personally prefer protecting my QB and having Williams and Dez winning one-on-one battles (particularly in today's Pass Interference happy league).

The big thing about this game (and the Rams game as well) is that we kept running the ball even against 8-man fronts. It's apparent that defenses are really concerned about us establishing the stretch running play. So even if they have an 8-man front and we only gain 1-yard, it sets up for more plays later on because you're telling the defense that we may run or pass the ball against an 8-man front instead of throwing it every time we see an 8-man front.

We are protecting the QB, not only from pass rushers and pass defenders, but from himself. In the pass-happy, 4 WR set happy league and defenses geared to stop that, we are dominating on offense by running the ball and adding extra blockers to protect Romo and show threat of a run. Defenses are not designed to stop that at this time.

YR

Gibbs ran an offense based on Air Coryell, just like Norv did with the Cowboys. Curious why you liken our current offense to Gibbs instead of Norv and Zampese. All three stressed the run as well as a vertical passing attack.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Gibbs ran an offense based on Air Coryell, just like Norv did with the Cowboys. Curious why you liken our current offense to Gibbs instead of Norv and Zampese. All three stressed the run as well as a vertical passing attack.

I don't think Zampese or Norv stressed the extra blockers on pass patterns like Gibbs did. It's one of the things that Pat had mentioned in our conversation in that you can either 'go the Joe Gibbs route' and add extra blockers or you can 'do what they are doing today and using extra receivers.'

YR