UConn Hoops Player Opts for NFL

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Updated: April 13, 2006, 7:40 PM ET
UConn's Nelson decides to leave hoops for NFL

Associated Press

STORRS, Conn. -- Connecticut basketball player Ed Nelson has decided to pursue a career in the National Football League, playing a sport he hasn't competed in since his freshman year of high school.

The 6-foot-8, 265-pound senior power forward plans to work out for NFL teams April 21 on the UConn campus.

"I have gotten great feedback in the last week that I am an individual that NFL teams could and will be very interested in," Nelson said Thursday. "I am anxious for the chance to show scouts next week that I can help their team in the future."

School officials said Nelson played youth football and played one year of high school football before focusing on basketball full-time.

Nelson's agent, Joe Linta, represents dozens of NFL players and coaches, including linemen Will Shields of the Kansas City Chiefs and Matt Birk of the Minnesota Vikings and Cleveland Browns head coach Romeo Crennel.

"I came up to work out Ed with little expectations and came away convinced that he is an NFL prospect at the tight end position," Linta said. "He is very quick, has outstanding hands and great lower body strength."
Nelson, from Fort Lauderdale, Fla., played 29 games as a reserve for the UConn basketball team after transferring from Georgia Tech, where he was the ACC rookie of the year in 2001-02. He averaged three points and three rebounds per game at Connecticut.

At St. Thomas Aquinas High School, he averaged 26 points and 11 rebounds in his senior year and led the team to the Class 5A state title. He was named Florida Player of the Year for Class 6A-5A-4A by the Fort Lauderdale Sun-Sentinel.

"He clearly has the talent to play basketball at the professional level, but if anyone can make the transition, it's him," UConn basketball coach Jim Calhoun said.

DragonCowboy

Reaction score
TE? Oh god, please, Bill, don't draft him in the first round, please!!

just kidding. I don't think we have any needs at TE for the most part, but you can bet Parcells will be interested...

aznhalf

Reaction score
Thanks to Gates every decently sized hoops player is going to think he can make it in the NFL, great.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
aznhalf said:
Thanks to Gates every decently sized hoops player is going to think he can make it in the NFL, great.
I was thinking the same thing.

Take a flyer on him Day 2. What the heck?

Bluefin

Reaction score
With the enormous success of Antonio Gates in San Diego, I'm surprised more basketball players aren't trying to make the switch and latch on in the NFL.

Ed Nelson has the size to be a force at tight end, but I have no idea how quickly or if he can pick up and survive the NFL game.

It would be no small feat.

Otherwise, it would be a regular occurance every training camp.

DragonCowboy

Reaction score
Does anyone know the answer to this question?

If a drafted player and his team cannot come to a deal, and the player leaves that team, is that player immediately eligible to move to another team, or is there some rule preventing that?

Because then, players could have all the leverage they wanted...

Anyone know, because I was just wondering about that...

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
DragonCowboy said:

If a drafted player and his team cannot come to a deal, and the player leaves that team, is that player immediately eligible to move to another team, or is there some rule preventing that?

If a team drafts a player they own his rights until the next Draft. If he never signs with that team he cannot sign anywhere.

2 examples are Bo Jackson and Drew Henson.

Bo Jackson was drafted by Tampa but did not sign. He played baseball instead. The next year Oakland drafted him.

Drew Henson was draftedby Houston. In order for Dallas to acquire him he had to sign with Houston. Other wiese he'd have been back in the Draft and could not choose his team.

Bluefin

Reaction score
DragonCowboy said:

The player would remain proterty of the team until some point during the season and then no longer be eligible to sign with anyone if memory serves.

The player's rights would revert back to the NFL draft and he would have to wait until the following season and go through the process all over again.

DragonCowboy

Reaction score
Hostile said:
If a team drafts a player they own his rights until the next Draft. If he never signs with that team he cannot sign anywhere.

2 examples are Bo Jackson and Drew Henson.

Bo Jackson was drafted by Tampa but did not sign. He played baseball instead. The next year Oakland drafted him.

Drew Henson was draftedby Houston. In order for Dallas to acquire him he had to sign with Houston. Other wiese he'd have been back in the Draft and could not choose his team.

Bluefin said:
The player would remain proterty of the team until some point during the season and then no longer be eligible to sign with anyone if memory serves.

The player's rights would revert back to the NFL draft and he would have to wait until the following season and go through the process all over again.

Thanks guys, told you I was a n00b :laugh2:

hendog

Reaction score
Hostile said:
We all are at some point. No problem at all.

I hope you don't have to reach like something like 20,000 posts before you're not a noob anymore.:bow: :D

Thomas82

Reaction score
aznhalf said:

Tony Gonzales was a power forward in college before he got to the NFL, so I think it was him that got this trend started.

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
Julius Peppers was a basketball player at UNC as well.

I always thought Karl Malone would have made an excellent DE, another Too Tall.

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
hendog said:
I hope you don't have to reach like something like 20,000 posts before you're not a noob anymore.:bow: :D

Naw, the cutoff is 3600 posts or more...

For a clue what I'm talking about, refer to my post count... :D

calico

Reaction score
THUMPER said:
Julius Peppers was a basketball player at UNC as well.

I always thought Karl Malone would have made an excellent DE, another Too Tall.

Barkley would have been a great NT...

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
calico said:
Barkley would have been a great NT...

Barkley would of been devastated if he played NT.

He probably would of been a good OLB or TE though.

dwmyers

Reaction score
aznhalf said:

People seem to be forgetting their Cowboys history.

What about Cornell Green? All-American in basketball from Utah State?

Pete Gent, a hoopster from Michigan State?

Tex Schramm was fond of this kind of conversion project.

As far as Barkley goes, he was small as basketball players go, only 6' 5" or so. But he could leap. His training routine in high school included jumping over the chain link fence in his back yard. He wasn't from a rich family, and jumping fences was cheap. I can only imagine what his vertical leap was like after all that.

If he had focused on football, I can only imagine what his training routine would have been. Tugging cars down the street?

David.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
Ed Nelson. What happened to him. He looked A LOT heavier to me this year at UCONN.

Up here in CT UCONN is the only national program we have. I hardly ever miss a basketball game. Like the article said he was the ACC rookie of the year. Not sure why he tranfered to UCONN but he was like the 7th to 8th man off the bench here.

He not that fast and has little to no verticle leap. Plays with great heart tho and is very strong.

Good move for him if it works out, he is not an NBA talent.