Ufc 114

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
I figured we could start the thread tonight and start the hyping of the May 29th fight card that is being headlined by the long awaited Rampage vs. Evans fight.

I was listening to the conference call today and Dana confirmed that the winner of the fight will face Shogun for the Lightheavyweight Title. Rumor was that Shogun wanted to defend his belt the first time against Randy Couture but Dana White said no and announced that the winner of Rampage vs. Evans will get the shot.

So when Rampage knocks out Evans, as I believe he will, he'll get his long awaited chance to avenge a loss to Shogun.

It will be a very difficult fight to avenge a loss in, because Shogun is healthy now and doing awesome, but a motivated Rampage is pretty dangerous.

Ren

Reaction score
Evans is a much more talented fighter, but Rampage only needs to hit him cleanly once and it's over and that's gonna happen

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
Ren;3411796 said:
Evans is a much more talented athlete, but Rampage only needs to hit him cleanly once and it's over and that's gonna happen
fixed it

BigWillie

Reaction score
Rampage;3411797 said:

No, he's right.

As a complete fighter, Rashad is better because is much more well rounded when you put in all aspects - wrestling, submission (although he never uses this part), and striking.

The difference going into this fight is the first two aspects I mentioned will never be used. Both these guys despise each other and they are going to be hunting for a KO.

And in the striking part alone, Rampage IS a better fighter.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
BigWillie;3412106 said:
No, he's right.

As a complete fighter, Rashad is better because is much more well rounded when you put in all aspects - wrestling, submission (although he never uses this part), and striking.

The difference going into this fight is the first two aspects I mentioned will never be used. Both these guys despise each other and they are going to be hunting for a KO.

i'd say Rampage has better wrestling than Rashad and Rashad has never even subbed anybody. I highly doubt Rashad chooses to stand with Rampage since he was hurt in each of his last 2 fights by fighters who have less power than Quinton(Machida and Silva). he's probably gonna try to lay n pray him like he did to Thiago Silva.

the kid 05

Individuals play the game, but teams beat the odds
Reaction score
BigWillie;3412106 said:
No, he's right.

your kidding right? Rashad isn't even close to being close to a better or even more rounded fighter.

Rampage is an excellent grappler and i'm willing to bet that Rashad has a tough time bringing him down if he even does at all.

Rampage doesn't train to do submissions he trains to get out of them, best offense is a great defense.

We dont even need to discuss striking as everyone knows rampage is in the top tier of strikers.

I seriously believe all the talking Rashad is doing is taking away from his prep and taking away energy that could be used to focus on training. He could have also saved 20$ by not sending Rampage that snuggie and saved it for him self.

BigWillie

Reaction score
Rampage;3412350 said:
i'd say Rampage has better wrestling than Rashad and Rashad has never even subbed anybody. I highly doubt Rashad chooses to stand with Rampage since he was hurt in each of his last 2 fights by fighters who have less power than Quinton(Machida and Silva). he's probably gonna try to lay n pray him like he did to Thiago Silva.

People get Rampage's insane slams he once utilized so frequently as he has great wrestling skills.

Comparative to backgrounds and time spent wrestling, it isn't even debate that Rashad has more experience and is much more well regarded as a wrestler.

On the submissions - just because you have a lack of submission victories does not mean you lack submission skills. Remember, Rashad is a black-belt under the Gracie's.

And yes, Rashad will stand. Too much pride and hate is involved in this fight for anything else to happen.

Plus, if we are in the business of bring up past fights, you would have to mention that Rampage struggled or lost against inferior strikers (in ability and especially speed) to Rashad. His showings against Forrest, Jardine and Hendo left quite a bit to be desired.

Still, based off of reputation and ability shown, Rampage is the better striker.

the kid 05;3412473 said:
your kidding right? Rashad isn't even close to being close to a better or even more rounded fighter.

Rampage is an excellent grappler and i'm willing to bet that Rashad has a tough time bringing him down if he even does at all.

Rampage doesn't train to do submissions he trains to get out of them, best offense is a great defense.

We dont even need to discuss striking as everyone knows rampage is in the top tier of strikers.

I seriously believe all the talking Rashad is doing is taking away from his prep and taking away energy that could be used to focus on training. He could have also saved 20$ by not sending Rampage that snuggie and saved it for him self.

Rampage is not an 'excellent' grappler. Yes, he has some background as a wrestler, but not to the extent of many others. That includes Rashad. Grappling also falls in line with submissions, fyi.

And Rampage's defense is fine - if you choose to believe that. Although I choose to believe a Gracie black-belt may be more well versed and well rounded on the ground. ;)

No, Rampage isn't an elite level 'striker'. He is an elite level BOXER, in MMA. Striking would encompass every aspect from leg kicks, elbows, knees, etc., which Rampage rarely, if ever utilizes.

But still, Rashad is essentially the same in he rarely goes outside of boxing in his fights, relying on his hand speed to get him by. Sean Salmon be dammed. :) And in boxing alone, Rampage IS better than Rashad.

But if Rashad attempts to follow his teammates gameplan, the fight may get a little bit interesting.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
I'm hosting a UFC party for this card, you're all invited if you can make it to NY. ;)

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
BigWillie;3413494 said:
People get Rampage's insane slams he once utilized so frequently as he has great wrestling skills.

Comparative to backgrounds and time spent wrestling, it isn't even debate that Rashad has more experience and is much more well regarded as a wrestler.

On the submissions - just because you have a lack of submission victories does not mean you lack submission skills. Remember, Rashad is a black-belt under the Gracie's.

And yes, Rashad will stand. Too much pride and hate is involved in this fight for anything else to happen.

Plus, if we are in the business of bring up past fights, you would have to mention that Rampage struggled or lost against inferior strikers (in ability and especially speed) to Rashad. His showings against Forrest, Jardine and Hendo left quite a bit to be desired.

Still, based off of reputation and ability shown, Rampage is the better striker.

Rampage is not an 'excellent' grappler. Yes, he has some background as a wrestler, but not to the extent of many others. That includes Rashad. Grappling also falls in line with submissions, fyi.

And Rampage's defense is fine - if you choose to believe that. Although I choose to believe a Gracie black-belt may be more well versed and well rounded on the ground. ;)

No, Rampage isn't an elite level 'striker'. He is an elite level BOXER, in MMA. Striking would encompass every aspect from leg kicks, elbows, knees, etc., which Rampage rarely, if ever utilizes.

But still, Rashad is essentially the same in he rarely goes outside of boxing in his fights, relying on his hand speed to get him by. Sean Salmon be dammed. :) And in boxing alone, Rampage IS better than Rashad.

But if Rashad attempts to follow his teammates gameplan, the fight may get a little bit interesting.
:lmao2:if you really believe Rashad has black belt bjj skills. how long did it take him to get his black belt.......a couple months?

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Both seem to be nozzles that run off at the mouth too much.

Should be a good fight though. I would like to see them both knock each other out or at the very least break each others jaws so they had to be wired shut and we would not have to hear them flapping their gums.

BigWillie

Reaction score
Rampage;3413796 said:
:lmao2:if you really believe Rashad has black belt bjj skills. how long did it take him to get his black belt.......a couple months?

rolles-gracie-e-rashad-evans-1264424645548_300x300.jpg

Picture of Rolles Gracie (son of Rolls; grandson of Helio) handing Rashad his black-belt. You think the Gracie's hand out black-belts like candy or something?

Rashad may never compete in BJJ gi competitions, where everyone feels the real art of BJJ is learned. It is also where everyone thinks you have to earn a black-belt in BJJ. But as Rolles pointed out, Rashad was awarded a black-belt for his skills in 'no gi' BJJ. Rolles felt that with the evolution of MMA, 'no gi' BJJ should evolve it's belt standards as well.

Now if you want to choose to act like you know more about BJJ than a Gracie disciple, be my guest. :laugh2:

Regardless of whether he's a brown-belt or black-belt, is really indifferent considering what we are discussing. Rashad's submission skills>>>>>Rampage's submission skills. /story

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
BigWillie;3415935 said:
rolles-gracie-e-rashad-evans-1264424645548_300x300.jpg

Picture of Rolles Gracie (son of Rolls; grandson of Helio) handing Rashad his black-belt. You think the Gracie's hand out black-belts like candy or something?

Rashad may never compete in BJJ gi competitions, where everyone feels the real art of BJJ is learned. It is also where everyone thinks you have to earn a black-belt in BJJ. But as Rolles pointed out, Rashad was awarded a black-belt for his skills in 'no gi' BJJ. Rolles felt that with the evolution of MMA, 'no gi' BJJ should evolve it's belt standards as well.

Now if you want to choose to act like you know more about BJJ than a Gracie disciple, be my guest. :laugh2:

Regardless of whether he's a brown-belt or black-belt, is really indifferent considering what we are discussing. Rashad's submission skills>>>>>Rampage's submission skills. /story

just cause you get a belt from a gracie doesn't make you a submission expert. Matt serra got his black belt from a gracie and hasn't subbed anyone in mma since 2002. as you should know their's 2 types of guys when it comes to bjj. #1 guys who are good at the grappling aspect but can't get subs. #2 guys who are good at the grappling aspect and can get subs. Rashad hasn't even attempted a sub probably because he's afraid he's gonna screw it up and lose his positioning(the inner wrestler in him lol). so he's not a sub bbj so how about his grappling? he's nothing but takedowns. he struggled to even hold Bisping and Thiago Silva down after he got the takedown. Rashad's whole grappling game(wrestling and bjj) is very overrated. getting a belt from a Gracie don't mean nearly as much as it used too.

Rampage is no sub expert(though he has became one at avoiding them) but neither is Rashad.

Ren

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;3413878 said:
Both seem to be nozzles that run off at the mouth too much.

Should be a good fight though. I would like to see them both knock each other out or at the very least break each others jaws so they had to be wired shut and we would not have to hear them flapping their gums.

I love Rampages smack talk that dude is funny as hell, Rashad is really out of his element trying to talk smack back though, he needs to shut up

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Rampage;3411072 said:
WAR RAMPAGE! even Rashad's son picked Rampage to win.

BigWillie;3412106 said:
No, he's right.

Actually I think Dan Henderson is a much better wrestler than Rashad and Quintin did just fine against him and beat him in a 5 round championship fight.

Rashad is a solid wrestler but he's nothing spectacular. He struggled to keep Bisping and Silva down with his wrestling and neither of those guys are anywhere near as good as Quintin when it comes to fighting.

As far as being a submission kind of guy, please. Rashad hasn't even attempted any during his career cause it's not his game. If he was any good at them he'd be trying them more regularly. He doesn't attempt to end fights that way because he's not good enough to end fights that way.

The striking isn't even a question, as you said. Rampage hits harder than Chuck, Silva, Griffin, and Machida and these are all guys who were giving Rashad trouble, including Machida absolutely destroying him with it.

Rampage is going to knock Rashad clean out.

Rampage;3412350 said:

He also had some struggles on his feet against Chuck and Forrest as well before he was able to catch them. Chuck doesn't have the power he used to and Forrest isn't any kind of Knock out guy. If the same situations happen to Rashad against Rampage, as he had against his last 4 opponents, then Rashad is going to sleep, again, just like he did against Machida.

BigWillie

Reaction score
Rampage;3416038 said:
just cause you get a belt from a gracie doesn't make you a submission expert. Matt serra got his black belt from a gracie and hasn't subbed anyone in mma since 2002. as you should know their's 2 types of guys when it comes to bjj. #1 guys who are good at the grappling aspect but can't get subs. #2 guys who are good at the grappling aspect and can get subs. Rashad hasn't even attempted a sub probably because he's afraid he's gonna screw it up and lose his positioning(the inner wrestler in him lol). so he's not a sub bbj so how about his grappling? he's nothing but takedowns. he struggled to even hold Bisping and Thiago Silva down after he got the takedown. Rashad's whole grappling game(wrestling and bjj) is very overrated. getting a belt from a Gracie don't mean nearly as much as it used too.

Rampage is no sub expert(though he has became one at avoiding them) but neither is Rashad.

FF crashed (I need a new browser!) on me, so my lengthier post was lost. Gonna make this quick ..

Serra is one of the more accomplished BJJ fighters in MMA. Background in BJJ competitions speaks for itself. Horrid example to show that a Gracie black-belt means nothing.

Bisping - he put down regularly, or had in the clinch for the majority of that fight. He gassed late in round 2, but went into round 3 and was still able to put Bisping on his back 3-4 times, IIRC.

Silva - BJJ black-belt, so a bad example that you want to use. But since you do, you know that Evans put him on his back nearly 10 times in that fight. Used clinch quite a bit. But never easy to hold down a well known BJJ black-belt.

Gracie is the mecca of BJJ. Gracies are infamous for being hard on students, and holding back students who deserve promotion. Nate Diaz knows this lesson, hard.

BraveHeartFan;3416320 said:
Actually I think Dan Henderson is a much better wrestler than Rashad and Quintin did just fine against him and beat him in a 5 round championship fight.

Rashad is a solid wrestler but he's nothing spectacular. He struggled to keep Bisping and Silva down with his wrestling and neither of those guys are anywhere near as good as Quintin when it comes to fighting.

As far as being a submission kind of guy, please. Rashad hasn't even attempted any during his career cause it's not his game. If he was any good at them he'd be trying them more regularly. He doesn't attempt to end fights that way because he's not good enough to end fights that way.

The striking isn't even a question, as you said. Rampage hits harder than Chuck, Silva, Griffin, and Machida and these are all guys who were giving Rashad trouble, including Machida absolutely destroying him with it.

Rampage is going to knock Rashad clean out.

Very valid point on Hendo. However, the one constant downfall throughout Hendo's career is that anyone who has pressured him with a ground game, and moreso able to get him on his back, he has horrid luck with. The fight with Jake Shields being a prime example of that. A natural '70er was able to keep him down, and hold him down.

However, Hendo is still an accomplished wrestler who Rampage held up well against.

But again, grappling simply isn't about wrestling. It encompasses more than that, which makes Rashad a better grappler.

Silva and Bisping - read above in my response to the other guy. Not good points to make.

Saying 'because he doesnt use them means he aint good at em' is a strawman argument.

Napao, Thiago Silva, Serra, Shogun, Anderson Silva, Diego, Wandy, among others are all experienced BJJ brown or black belts who very seldom use their ground skills. Just because you don't use them doesn't mean you don't have them. Even more, I won't argue with a Gracie about BJJ, just like I wouldn't argue with Peyton Manning on how to throw a football or Larry Bird how to shoot a basketball.

I did not say the striking wasn't in question. I said Rampage is a superior boxing. His boxing and defense ARE superior to Rashad's. However, if Rashad develops a strategy like his buddy Jardine did, it is a different story.

Rampage can tear anyone apart that is willing to stand and BOX with him. But it is why he has struggled against so many Muay Thai fighters throughout his career that will beat his lead leg to death.

BraveHeartFan;3416320 said:
He also had some struggles on his feet against Chuck and Forrest as well before he was able to catch them. Chuck doesn't have the power he used to and Forrest isn't any kind of Knock out guy. If the same situations happen to Rashad against Rampage, as he had against his last 4 opponents, then Rashad is going to sleep, again, just like he did against Machida.

Rampage lost to Forrest, and struggled mightily with Jardine (who some thought he lost to). The tit-for-tat game can always be done.

And I'm glad someone brings up the Liddell fight by saying Rashad struggled, as I will definitely take the time to talk about that one, as I still have that fight saved on hard drive.

If you re-watch that fight, you actually see an incredible ability of a plan developed, a plan executed, and a plan finished. Rashad actually won that fight not because of a lucky punch, but because he spent the fight up until the point he KO'd Chuck in setting up one punch.

Go back to watch when Rashad leads. He would either lead with a jab or left hook, and follow it up with another. When he did this, he would circle to his left (Chuck's right) while putting his head down. He made this routine.

Go to the 2nd round, and you see Rashad slowly begin to work his 1-2, and even threw one right before the KO. Chuck begins to think he can catch an uppercut as Rashad throws the first jab. He was reluctant to pull the trigger right before this on an uppercut, but began to do it the second time. Unfortunately for him, he wasn't quick enough on that one. :laugh2:

Chuck went in, was willing to eat the first jab, just to land the uppercut. Rashad feints the jab, throws the overhand right that puts Chuck to sleep.

Essentially, Rashad and Greg Jackson was able to set up the fight hunting for that single punch. And Rashad used that gameplan to perfection. That thing was absolutely beautiful, if you look at it outside of 'it was just lucky', because luck had absolutely nothing to do with that. It had more to do with Greg Jackson and his camp being absolute monsters in making the right gameplan and getting their fighters to stick to it.