July 3, 2010
MGM Grand Garden Arena,
Las Vegas, Nevada, United States

horzLine.gif

UFC 116 FIGHT CARD

horzLine.gif

Matchups:
UFC Heavyweight Championship
Brock Lesnar (No. 2 HW) vs. Shane Carwin (No. 4 HW)

Yoshihiro Akiyama (No. 10 MW) vs. Chris Leben
Chris Lytle vs. Matt Brown
Stephan Bonnar vs. Krzysztof Soszynski
George Sotiropoulos vs. Kurt Pellegrino
Brendan Schaub vs. Chris Tuchscherer
Ricardo Romero vs. Seth Petruzelli
Kendall Grove vs. Goran Reljic
Gerald Harris vs. Dave Branch
Daniel Roberts vs. Forrest Petz
Jon Madsen vs. Karlos Vemola

BigWillie

Reaction score
Love some of these matchups.

Lytle vs Brown will be a war. Both those guys are always 'game' fighters and always do something exciting.

Sotiropoulos and Pellegrino could turn into a grappling clinic. I know that will not interest most, but if you love the ground game, you will likely love this fight.

Akiyama and Leben probably will not be the prettiest fight. Leben's takedown defense looked much improved, but can it hold up against Akiyama? I know Akiyama is getting more confident in his standup, but does he really want to bang with Leben's two nuclear warhead of fists he has?

And Lesnar - Carwin. I'm really interested to see where Lesnar is, and what he has improved on in all this time. The one thing that I hate about Lesnar's camp is the guys he has with him. It's basically a large concentration of heavyweight wrestlers, and not a group of guys who will allow him to evolve. IIRC, Erik Paulson is even his kickboxing coach, which isn't the best guy to have helping with your striking.

It's a good group of guys if you are looking to improve upon takedown defense and wrestling, but Brock will be teaching all of them in that department more than they can help him learn anything.

Really wish Brock would go somewhere like ATT or Alliance to focus in on his striking to see how good he really could become.

Another thing is Brock admitted he has lost about 15lbs, and now doesn't need to stay in the sauna burning off weight to get to 265lbs. Dude is still gonna be as big an as strong as ever, but how much would that extra weight help push around a guy who will be as big as him in Carwin? You can definitely notice in his neck and shoulders that Brock is not as big as he was.

In the end, I still think Brock's wrestling can outdo anyone in the division as long as he relies on it. If Brock oes his game and what he is best at, he takes this pretty easily.

But if Brock stands for too long, I have no doubt Carwin will find his chin and test it rather hard.

I'll say Brock by TKO mid way through the 2nd.

rkell87

Reaction score
cant wait, getting to the bar early to get a seat. i hope brock is 100 percent, he didnt look too enthusiastic at the weigh in

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
BigWillie;3449873 said:
Love some of these matchups.

Lytle vs Brown will be a war. Both those guys are always 'game' fighters and always do something exciting.

Sotiropoulos and Pellegrino could turn into a grappling clinic. I know that will not interest most, but if you love the ground game, you will likely love this fight.

Akiyama and Leben probably will not be the prettiest fight. Leben's takedown defense looked much improved, but can it hold up against Akiyama? I know Akiyama is getting more confident in his standup, but does he really want to bang with Leben's two nuclear warhead of fists he has?

And Lesnar - Carwin. I'm really interested to see where Lesnar is, and what he has improved on in all this time. The one thing that I hate about Lesnar's camp is the guys he has with him. It's basically a large concentration of heavyweight wrestlers, and not a group of guys who will allow him to evolve. IIRC, Erik Paulson is even his kickboxing coach, which isn't the best guy to have helping with your striking.

It's a good group of guys if you are looking to improve upon takedown defense and wrestling, but Brock will be teaching all of them in that department more than they can help him learn anything.

Really wish Brock would go somewhere like ATT or Alliance to focus in on his striking to see how good he really could become.

Another thing is Brock admitted he has lost about 15lbs, and now doesn't need to stay in the sauna burning off weight to get to 265lbs. Dude is still gonna be as big an as strong as ever, but how much would that extra weight help push around a guy who will be as big as him in Carwin? You can definitely notice in his neck and shoulders that Brock is not as big as he was.

In the end, I still think Brock's wrestling can outdo anyone in the division as long as he relies on it. If Brock oes his game and what he is best at, he takes this pretty easily.

But if Brock stands for too long, I have no doubt Carwin will find his chin and test it rather hard.

I'll say Brock by TKO mid way through the 2nd.

regarding Lesnar Couture came in and trained with him for this fight. also the "extra weight" isn't that much of a difference cause he said he used to have to cut 10 to maybe 15 pounds before fights and now he cuts 5 pounds. If anything he's probably a little faster yet still as strong:eek:

BigWillie

Reaction score
Rampage;3449977 said:
regarding Lesnar Couture came in and trained with him for this fight. also the "extra weight" isn't that much of a difference cause he said he used to have to cut 10 to maybe 15 pounds before fights and now he cuts 5 pounds. If anything he's probably a little faster yet still as strong:eek:

Bringing in Couture isn't going to improve striking, nor as a sparring partner will he provide anything to get him ready for a guy like Carwin.

Couture is basically just a 220lbs version of Lesnar. Insane wrestler, great clinchwork. But a 265lbs+ man with insane punching power he is not.

Heck, go grab Juanito Ibarra and let him refine just his boxing. While Ibarra may be a giant POS, the guy did wonders for Rampage's defense and striking. Erik Paulson is not the guy to take him to the next level in that regard. If he was working on his ground game, maybe. But Paulson should not even be a striking coach.

And I agree. Lesnar actually looked quicker on the ground, in some limited training videos I saw of him. But quickness isn't something that will be overly used in this fight, especially with two giant heavyweights in the cage. That added weight would help him push Carwin around the cage, keep him down, and test his cardio, if it goes that long.

That is unless Lesnar really is willing to test his standup against Carwin. But I don't see why a wrestler of Lesnar's caliber would even think about that.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
I can see where you're coming from but a guy like Brock could soak up some of the knowlege Randy has when it comes to mma. he can tell Brock what he needs to improve on and show him some things.

I wouldn't be suprised if Lesnar decides to stand and throw a few atleast early on. although Carwin hits hard his boxing and footwork are very sloppy. he's been hurt several times but his punching power got him out of trouble. now Brock's standup is nothing special either(we are talking about 270 pound fighters lol) but I could see him dropping Carwin.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Excited to see Daniel Roberts again, hopefully he's gotten more rounded but his grappling is top notch.

This is actually a very good card, a little disappointed I may not get to watch it live. Stupid family obligations.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Brock Lesnar (No. 2 HW) vs. Shane Carwin (No. 4 HW)

Yoshihiro Akiyama (No. 10 MW) vs. Chris Leben
Chris Lytle vs. Matt Brown
Stephan Bonnar vs. Krzysztof Soszynski
George Sotiropoulos vs. Kurt Pellegrino
Brendan Schaub vs. Chris Tuchscherer
Ricardo Romero vs. Seth Petruzelli
Kendall Grove vs. Goran Reljic
Gerald Harris vs. Dave Branch
Daniel Roberts vs. Forrest Petz
Jon Madsen vs. Karlos Vemola

Pretty decent card. It's not off the charts awesome but there are some really solid fights in this thing.

Akiyama vs Leben will be fun to watch though I was definately looking forward to him and Silva. Lytle and Brown will be an amazing fight and I'm a HUGE fan of Krzysztof so I'm looking forward to that fight as well.

As for the main I've been waiting for this one for nearly a year. This one should be really great. I'm torn as to who will win but I know I'll be rooting for Brock (though I do like Carwin).

I think it comes down to where the fight takes place. If Brock decides he wants to try and throw with Carwin I believe Carwin will knock him out and win. If Brock does what he does best, takes him down, and does some ground and pounding then I believe Brock will win this one.

I don't think Brock will have trouble getting him down. Carwin has been taken down before, by a guy not nearly as good as Brock with that, and Brock will be strong enough to do some things to Carwin on the ground.

It should be a very entertaining fight.

One area where I do believe Randy can really help Brock is the dirty boxing, and against the cage work. Remember that is where Carwin absolutely demolished Frank Mir was against the cage with some close up striking.

Now Mir is obviously no Lesnar (in terms of size and strength and what not) but none the less some polishing up in those areas can't ever hurt a fighter.

Cover 2

Pessimists Unite!!!
Reaction score
I'm really looking forward to the Reljic-Grove fight and the Sotiropoulos-Pellegrino fights. Of course though the most interesting one is the main event.

I always enjoy watching Reljic fight. His stand up reminds me of a cheap version of a prime Cro Cop (this is actually a compliment) and he is also an accomplished grappler. I see him beating Grove by decision though.

Even though Batman is a good grappler he is no matchup for Sotiropoulos. Sotiropoulos is amazing on the ground and he is definitely a legit BJJ black belt. I wouldn't be surprised to see him submit Batman, but I think he wins by decision.

I think Brock is a better fighter than Carwin even though Carwin has been extremely impressive. The one issue I have with Brock in this fight is his illness. I have no idea if he is where he was prior to getting sick. If he is I see him winning. If not it could go either way. One thing though is that neither fighter are polished on the feet, but they both have extraordinary power. All it would take is one good shot from either fighter, especially since both have been rocked in their career. I see Brock winning by TKO, but I would not be surprised to see Carwin win.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
I wanna say Lesnar wins this, but he's been off awhile. Carwin takes it in a 2nd round TKO.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Any streams working?

Probably..........hasn't started yet......

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
zrinkill;3450425 said:
http://i11.***BLOCKED***/albums/a185/glenner79/gorillas-fighting1.jpg

That is a wicked arse pic.

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
Hoofbite;3450514 said:
Any streams working?

Probably..........hasn't started yet......

Not having much luck tonight :(

DavidS

Reaction score
what time do u think Lesnar will finally be fighting?

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
zrinkill;3450425 said:
http://i11.***BLOCKED***/albums/a185/glenner79/gorillas-fighting1.jpg

I can only imagine the strength in that fight. Unbelievable.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Did that guy just pimp a politician in his post-fight speech.

What an ***-hat.