Uh, About That Anointing Oil...(Romo)

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
The more research you do, the more you realize how spoiled we are to have this guy. He just put up 4 straight 90+ seasons. From 2006-09, only Romo and Peyton Manning managed to do that. He just became the first QB in the history of the game to start his career with four 90+ seasons.

Romo finished 8th in the NFL in passer rating this year, making it four years in a row that he has been in the Top 8. It may not sound like much, or get any media attention, but that is an outstanding accomplishment when you consider that it has nothing to do with the era he's playing in. He is only the third QB since the merger to rank in the Top 8 his first four seasons as a starter. The other two were first-ballot Hall of Famers.

In fact, if you take the size of the league into account, he's only the fifth player of all time to hit the Top 8 in each of his first four years. (Hall of Famer Bobby Layne was Top 8 his first eight seasons, but only finished higher than 5th once in a 12-team league, for example).

And as you look at my sig, remember that all four of the other QB's are Hall of Famers who played for Hall of Fame coaches.

TD-33

Benched
Reaction score
Garland powerplay;3196394 said:
like Big Bill says save your anointing oil till after post season lol.

Parcels is greatness.
"Parcels" was wrong.

Givincer

Reaction score
Yeah, Romo is pretty amazing. Even more amazing though is the number of fans on this forum that have wanted to start a QB search in the offseason.

l2obert;3196420 said:
"Parcels" was wrong.

How was he wrong to try to keep a young player humble?

TD-33

Benched
Reaction score
Givincer;3196439 said:
Yeah, Romo is pretty amazing. Even more amazing though is the number of fans on this forum that have wanted to start a QB search in the offseason.

How was he wrong to try to keep a young player humble?
To keep Romo humble, sure. But in the context of that statement back in 2006 of 'save your anointing oil' imo Romo has been very deserving of the anointment. I don't think he got the credit he deserved.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
l2obert;3196420 said:
"Parcels" was wrong.

You aren't annointed in this league until you win a Superbowl. Even then, it can be stripped from you. Eli Manning is close to getting his stripped away. Dilfer and Brad Johnson had theirs stripped.

Garland powerplay

Reaction score
Does the anointing oil still apply with a playoff loss? Not!

Regular season is great. Hold the oil not only for Romo but the entire team.
Romo should be in pro bowl , its awesome there is no celebration in locker room that means their eyes are on the prize. The only thing that matters-playoffs or bust.

Gadfly22

Reaction score
And just think how good Romo could have been if he hadn't "regressed" earlier this season.

(In order to read the above correctly, please picture Don Rickles saying it, with a vicious sneer on this face. Thank you.)

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Until Romo wins a Superbowl he's never going to get the full credit that he deserves from the masses and there is nothing wrong with that.

I don't personally agree with a Superbowl win being what defines rather a player is great at their position or not. I mean I still think Dan Marino was pretty darn great as a QB despite never winning one. That's why Superbowls are won by teams and not individuals.

That said I understand why people do it. I'm glad we've got Romo and I'm thrilled to watch him play with The Star on his helmet.