uh, yeah (Team Needs)

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
5 offensive lineman

Nah, but seriously. Is there any way to go in this draft but OL heavy?

Columbo may have played his last down, who know how he comes back

Flozell is done

OG play is solid but not spectacular and there is no depth

Gurode again is solid but no depth

The Realist

Reaction score
Both of our OT's are done?

Little premature.

Free looks good.

I probably start looking for OL in 3.

Near the top of the list is a RT groomed to start in 2011.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
1) LT
2) C
3) FS

Gurode was nearly as bad as Flo today, just nearly....:banghead:

UnoDallas

Benched
Reaction score
The Realist;3079790 said:

Little premature.

Free looks good.

I think Free could be the swing T - Free needs to get a mean streak
I say we go LT - G - G/C

UnoDallas

Benched
Reaction score
Boy I hate to say it but this years draft should be the O line draft
like last years draft was Lb er heavy

G - Iupati - Beadles
LT - Davis or Fox
RT - Young - Jolly - Ulatoski,
G/C - Hall or Olsen or Hickman

I know we have Bright an Brewster as our FA G's but don't think either of them can play OT there just to small

Iupati is the only true gaurd I would draft - I say draft a smaller Tackle an put them at gaurd - they seem to hav the better feet

boy I wanted Vollmer last year the LT playing tonight for Pats

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
The Realist;3079790 said:

Little premature.

Free looks good.

I dont think so. Have you seen Adams play, you can argue he has been done since week 1. Columbo was playing solid but yet again in his career has gone down with a injury and is no young buck.

If you wait till there gone to replace them and not plan ahead your setting yourself up for failure. IMO Dallas has already waited too long by not looking for a stud in the draft early.

Free is a life time back up. He just does not have the size or athleitc ability to be a full time OT in this league and the next few weeks will show it. Orakpo is going to turn him on his head.

The Realist

Reaction score
SDogo;3081799 said:
I dont think so. Have you seen Adams play, you can argue he has been done since week 1. Columbo was playing solid but yet again in his career has gone down with a injury and is no young buck.

If you wait till there gone to replace them and not plan ahead your setting yourself up for failure. IMO Dallas has already waited too long by not looking for a stud in the draft early.

Free is a life time back up. He just does not have the size or athleitc ability to be a full time OT in this league and the next few weeks will show it. Orakpo is going to turn him on his head.

Our offense was ranked what.....4th? Hard to do with a washed up LT.

Colombo has started 57 straight games and just had a 325 pound man fall on his ankle.

Free isn't athletic........got it.

For those who keep harping on them..........

Davis/Iupti won't be on the board when we pick.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
The Realist;3081838 said:
Davis/Iupti won't be on the board when we pick.

Don't know about that. This is a deep, talented draft class. We will get a quality player in the 1st round, even if we are drafting 32nd.

The Realist

Reaction score
Chris in SoCal;3082641 said:
Don't know about that. This is a deep, talented draft class. We will get a quality player in the 1st round, even if we are drafting 32nd.

If a game changing FS falls to us bottom of 1 I can see it.

Other than that I don't see us standing pat in first round.

Anthony Davis maybe, but I don't see him falling.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
The Realist;3082779 said:
If a game changing FS falls to us bottom of 1 I can see it.

Other than that I don't see us standing pat in first round.

Anthony Davis maybe, but I don't see him falling.

I also think we will be moving up. Primetime Draft and our Owner is a scary mix.

The Realist

Reaction score
Chris in SoCal;3082889 said:
I also think we will be moving up. Primetime Draft and our Owner is a scary mix.

Do you have any idea how expensive it is in terms of picks to move from bottom of 1 to any spot moving into (top 10-15).

Really talking top 10 because guys at 15 and 30 are pretty similar.

SLATEmosphere

Benched
Reaction score
Chris in SoCal;3082889 said:

The Realist;3082900 said:
Do you have any idea how expensive it is in terms of picks to move from bottom of 1 to any spot moving into (top 10-15).

Do not test Mr.Chris in Socal, Mr. Realist. He will make you look like a fool!

The Realist

Reaction score
SLATEmosphere;3082918 said:
Do not test Mr.Chris in Socal, Mr. Realist. He will make you look like a fool!

I'm game.

Cost of moving from lets say 28 to get to #10.

Someone do the math.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
The Realist;3082900 said:

I think you misunderstood me. We won't have to trade up that high. This draft will have more talent than any we have seen in a while and won't see again. A player picked 20th this year would be top 5 in the 2011 draft.

I've already heard stories of agents getting to the families of USC underclassmen. I'm sure that's happening nation wide. Even for those who don't get pressure from agents or their familes, it is pretty much a foregone conclusion that starting with the 2011 draft there will be a strict rookie cap. The NFLPA is made up of Veteran players, they want this. The owners definitely want this. The NFLPA will use it as a bargaining chip but they will agree to it. The new NFLPA President even said something to the effect: "We want this but we know the owners want it more so what are you willing to give up to get it."

Expect a record number of underclassmen this draft and expect a lot of talented underclassmen. Hopefully, a lot of QB's (since we don't need one) declare so that pushes more and more talent down to us. I can't stand Bill Bellichek but that evil genius saw this coming and loaded up. He has 2 extra 2nd rounders this year and a an extra 1st in 2011 he could use to move up.

You are exactly right that trading into the Top 10 would be way too expensive. What I'm saying is that you don't have to be drafting in the top 10 this year to get an impact player.

So you take a draft full of talent, a draft in it's first year of Primetime television, and our Owner/GM, who quite simply loves the sound of his name and the sight of his mug on TV, and I'm calling it now. We will be trading up.

The Realist

Reaction score
Chris in SoCal;3083081 said:
A player picked 20th this year would be top 5 in the 2011 draft.

I hear all you say, but I disagree with this statement.

We aren't getting either of the S's at 20.

We aren't getting Suh at 20.

Etc, etc.........

And if the draft is so deep it should make one want to have more picks 2-4 to load up on the value that falls.

1's fall to 2 every year per Jerry (Flo/Andre).

2's fall to 3-4 every year (Witten, MBIII, Choice, Canty).

We're really talking about finding future starters at 2 positions that will be ready in 1-2 years (FS/RT).

We've already established Mays/Berry aren't falling.

Cowboys haven't drafted OL in one in 20 something years.

Jerry has said in past he wouldn't draft a RT in one.

The one exception to that would be if he thought he was drafting a Pro Bowler (Anthony Davis).........that's my call.

So net-net, my call for our first round pick which should be 25 or lower is Anthony Davis, Brandon Spikes, or Rolando McClain.

I can't see either of the LB's falling but if they did I would be all over them. Creates a log jam at ILB, but at that point I think you have to cut bait on Brookings and get younger there. We lose his fire but Spikes/McClain bring a lot of their own.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Chris in SoCal;3083081 said:
I can't stand Bill Bellichek but that evil genius saw this coming and loaded up. He has 2 extra 2nd rounders this year and a an extra 1st in 2011 he could use to move up.

This is not something he just thought of to do for the upcoming draft though. They have been doing this for some time and continue to trade picks away for future picks during the draft.

Now with that little blurb, that you probably already knew anyway, out of the way.

I too think we go heavy on O-Linemen depending on how they feel about Free as he finishes out the year...if he finishes out the year.

Hopefully he will pan out and that is one less player to worry about, even if he does pan out, don't mistake that I believe that means we don't have to draft o-linemen. I still think we need to draft at least two in the first few rounds. Flo is not getting any younger, Kosier is not getting any younger and the only depth we have at this time is Proctor, Free and Brewster...we really know nothing about Brewster, Proctor we know is not a future starter and we will find out about Free.

This next draft, unless something dramatic happens between then and now, I just don't see how they can't go O-Line in the top rounds.

But this is the cowboys so anything can go.:laugh1:

The Realist

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;3083187 said:
This is not something he just thought of to do for the upcoming draft though. They have been doing this for some time and continue to trade picks away for future picks during the draft.

Now with that little blurb, that you probably already knew anyway, out of the way.

I too think we go heavy on O-Linemen depending on how they feel about Free as he finishes out the year...if he finishes out the year.

Hopefully he will pan out and that is one less player to worry about, even if he does pan out, don't mistake that I believe that means we don't have to draft o-linemen. I still think we need to draft at least two in the first few rounds. Flo is not getting any younger, Kosier is not getting any younger and the only depth we have at this time is Proctor, Free and Brewster...we really know nothing about Brewster, Proctor we know is not a future starter and we will find out about Free.

This next draft, unless something dramatic happens between then and now, I just don't see how they can't go O-Line in the top rounds.

But this is the cowboys so anything can go.:laugh1:

Agreed, and I would add a FS that can be groomed into future starter.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
The Realist;3083184 said:
We aren't getting either of the S's at 20.

We've already established Mays/Berry aren't falling.

Actually with the way Mays is playing or more importantly is being allowed to play, he may slip. Also, the more my draft geek sees and convinces the Trojan fan in me, Mays is probably a linebacker in the NFL. He's 6'3", 235 lbs and wants to hit people. He just doesn't look for the ball ever, rather he chooses to always try to kill someone. He's a bigger, faster Roy Williams. The popular rumor at USC is that the training stafff has to work very hard to keep Mays' weight down to 235. I can see him being a similar player to Brian Urlacher at the next level.

Back to safeties...
Don't forget Berry and Mays aren't the only potential safeties in this draft. Georgia Tech's Morgan Burnett,(no-good)Longhorn Earl Thomas, LSU's Chad Jones, and UNC's Deunta Williams have all had pretty good years and could sneak into the lower 1st round. I think Earl Thomas would look really good at Free Safety for us for the next decade.