Ultimate Offseason

Qwickdraw

Benched
Reaction score
This could happen. Won't... but could.

Trade Ellis for a second round pick.
Trade Glover for a third round pick.

Draft:
1. #11- Shawne Merriman DE/LB (Maryland)
2. #20- Marcus Spears DE/DT (LSU)
3. #42- Brodney Pool FS (Oklahoma)
4. #??- Roddy White WR (Alabama-Birmingham)
5. #106- CJ Brooks OG (Maryland)

Free Agents:
1. Kendrell Bell LB (Pit)
2. Ken Lucas CB (Sea)
3. Pat Williams NT (Buf)
4. Najeh Davenport RB (GB)- have to trade one of the 2nd round picks
5. John Abraham DE (NYJ)

Wow, I got ridiculous with this one. But I must say... that's an unstoppable 3-4.

Portland Fanatic

Reaction score
cowboygert said:
This could happen. Won't... but could.

Trade Ellis for a second round pick.
Trade Glover for a third round pick.

Draft:
1. #11- Shawne Merriman DE/LB (Maryland)
2. #20- Marcus Spears DE/DT (LSU)
3. #42- Brodney Pool FS (Oklahoma)
4. #??- Roddy White WR (Alabama-Birmingham)
5. #106- CJ Brooks OG (Maryland)

Free Agents:
2. Ken Lucas CB (Sea)
3. Pat Williams NT (Buf)
4. Najeh Davenport RB (GB)- have to trade one of the 2nd round picks
5. John Abraham DE (NYJ)

Wow, I got ridiculous with this one. But I must say... that's an unstoppable 3-4.
Trading both? Don't like...trading our #11 for say 15-18 range and adding a 3rd...then trading that pic along with Glover to the Colts for the 1st I like...hehe

Draft
1a. Merriman
1b. Spears
1c. Anttajj Hawthorne
2. Pool

Free Agents:
2. Ken Lucas CB (Sea)
3. Pat Williams NT (Buf)

We are very close to being on the same page....

Gaede

Reaction score
Portland Fanatic said:
Trading both? Don't like...trading our #11 for say 15-18 range and adding a 3rd...then trading that pic along with Glover to the Colts for the 1st I like...hehe

Draft
1a. Merriman
1b. Spears
1c. Anttajj Hawthorne
2. Pool

Free Agents:
2. Ken Lucas CB (Sea)
3. Pat Williams NT (Buf)

I like this waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than the first one.

I understand trading Glover, but Ellis is one of our best guys

Qwickdraw

Benched
Reaction score
Hey, I can't argue with that but did you notice that I brought in John Abraham to replace Ellis? You can't hate that.

And I got Davenport to back up Julius. That's diesel!

Duane

Reaction score
Gaede said:
I like this waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than the first one.

I understand trading Glover, but Ellis is one of our best guys
Both guys are some of our better players but chances are that if we go to the 3-4, we're not going to use Glover at NT.

Gaede

Reaction score
cowboygert said:
Hey, I can't argue with that but did you notice that I brought in John Abraham to replace Ellis? You can't hate that.

hahaha...no, didn't read the whole thing!!

That would be okay with me...Great offseason

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
Why is everyone so high on Kendrell Bell? This guy has had some issues staying on the field. Not saying I wouldn't want him if he was healthy, but the history has to be a major red flag.

A second for Davenport? I am assuming you would just try to trade for him? He was originally a 4th round pick. I am guessing GB gives him a first round tender. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised to see him starting there in the next couple of years.

Are you looking at Abraham as a rush LBer or end in the 3-4? I don't think he would cut it at end and has had issues already as a 3-4 backer.

ghst187

Reaction score
that's exactly what we should do, trade away 2 of our top 4 defensive players to create more holes to fill.

Portland Fanatic

Reaction score
cowboygert said:

The reason I did not include Abraham is because he will be franchised and thus we'd be forced to give up both firsts...no way...blows the whole scenario.

I also meant to replace Bell with Ed Hartwell...I'd take him over Bell...Bell would be my 2nd choice if he could stay healthy...always the question.

Dough Boy

Seldom Seen
Reaction score
Portland Fanatic said:

Draft
1a. Merriman
1b. Spears
1c. Anttajj Hawthorne
2. Pool

Free Agents:
2. Ken Lucas CB (Sea)
3. Pat Williams NT (Buf)

I posted the following in another thread. Great minds think alike,

DoughBoy said:
tell me what you think of the following:

1a) Shawne Merriman (jr.), OLB, Maryland (6-3, 255) | previous rank: 14
A combo guy on the edge who will test the charts. Merriman benches 385, squats 590 and has a 41½-inch vertical jump that is the best ever for a defensive lineman in Maryland history. But don't forget his production, as he led the Terrapins with 17 tackles for loss and 9 sacks. Merriman cold play outside linebacker in either a 3-4 or 4-3 scheme, or put his hand on the ground and play end in a 4-3.

1b) Marcus Spears, DE, LSU (6-4, 295) | previous rank: unranked
Will not turn into a 10-12 sack performer at the next level because he lacks great closing speed, but Spears looks like a five-sack guy who will be an outstanding run stopper and disruptive to the passing game because of his size and long arms. He is a great athlete who began his career as a tight end and because of that will be able to play in any defensive structure and should be a solid pro. Boosted his stock with a terrific showing at the Senior Bowl.

2) Anttaj Hawthorne, DT, Wisconsin (6-2½, 315) | previous rank: unranked
Very quick for his size, Hawthorne knows how to handle double-team blocks and can create tackles for loss. Add his strength and overall athleticism to that size and experience and you have an ideal tackle for a 4-3 scheme.

This is of course saying that all are there with the pick.......

I also like the idea of Bell. I think I would take Gary Baxter over Ken Lucas. Baxter has one year of Saftey under his belt, plus he comes from a winning D. He will bring that attitude to Dallas. (I hope he does)

I would also add Reggie Hayward to the list of FA. He is an edge rusher from Denver. I think he is 6-5, 270. Instead of Pat Willimas, I would take Ferguson from Jets along with Kareem McKenie (sp) to play RT. I don't know if I over spent, but what the heck, its not my money.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
I've been tinkering with a few scenarios myself. One I like to help make a 3-4 effective this coming season is:

Free agency:
NT - Jason Ferguson, Jets. (Solid run stopper who's younger than Williams)
ILB - Ed Hartwell, Ravens. (very solid against the run and 3-4 experience)
FS - Gary Baxter, Ravens. (excellent coverage for a FS and plenty tough)
CB - Ken Lucas, Seahawks. (solid CB, who won't cost elite money)

Draft:
1. Shawne Merriman - (should be a terror chasing the QB)
1. Marcus Spears - (huge run stopper at end with great athletic ability)

That's two of the three needed DL for a 3-4. We should be able to find at least one servicable DE from players already in Dallas.

I see Glover as a player who'd play a little NT in obvious passing situations and play some DE at other times. He holds up well against double teams and has terrific athleticism to chase the QB. If he isn't a starter and in constantly, he should stay effective enough on the plays he's in.

Blade could be very good in spots on the nose if he stays in shape and motivated. Big "ifs". Still if he only plays a certain percentage of the downs, he should stay fresh.

Ellis and Coleman should be able to stop the run at one end position.

Merriman, Hartwell, Dat, and Thornton/James, should be a pretty good group of LB's. Fowler, Thornton/James, Shanle, O'Neil should be servicable as reserves.

Baxter would really free up Roy to stay near the line of scrimmage and wreak havoc. Williams could do what he does best and not worry about deep coverage because Baxter would be very good. Davis and Scott would be okay as reserves/special teamers.

Newman and Lucas would be a very good pair of starting CB's and Frazier would be a great nickle guy. Hunter and Reeves/Jones/Thornton could fight it out for a roster spot.

That's one way the offseason could fall, anyway. Those free agents wouldn't cost too terribly much... none are elite money types although they are good to very good players and will command a decent amount. Still we should have some more money to sign a couple of offensive guys if we want to.

I only went into the first round of the draft. Obviously, Dallas could use some later picks on defensive help as well.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
AJM1613 said:
You seriously over value your defensive linemen.

I suppose you were talking to me. Who do you think I overvalued? Blade? I might give you that one alright.

Who else though?

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
AsthmaField said:
I've been tinkering with a few scenarios myself. One I like to help make a 3-4 effective this coming season is:

Free agency:
NT - Jason Ferguson, Jets. (Solid run stopper who's younger than Williams)
ILB - Ed Hartwell, Ravens. (very solid against the run and 3-4 experience)
FS - Gary Baxter, Ravens. (excellent coverage for a FS and plenty tough)
CB - Ken Lucas, Seahawks. (solid CB, who won't cost elite money)

Draft:
1. Shawne Merriman - (should be a terror chasing the QB)
1. Marcus Spears - (huge run stopper at end with great athletic ability)

That's two of the three needed DL for a 3-4. We should be able to find at least one servicable DE from players already in Dallas.

I see Glover as a player who'd play a little NT in obvious passing situations and play some DE at other times. He holds up well against double teams and has terrific athleticism to chase the QB. If he isn't a starter and in constantly, he should stay effective enough on the plays he's in.

Blade could be very good in spots on the nose if he stays in shape and motivated. Big "ifs". Still if he only plays a certain percentage of the downs, he should stay fresh.

Ellis and Coleman should be able to stop the run at one end position.

Merriman, Hartwell, Dat, and Thornton/James, should be a pretty good group of LB's. Fowler, Thornton/James, Shanle, O'Neil should be servicable as reserves.

Baxter would really free up Roy to stay near the line of scrimmage and wreak havoc. Williams could do what he does best and not worry about deep coverage because Baxter would be very good. Davis and Scott would be okay as reserves/special teamers.

Newman and Lucas would be a very good pair of starting CB's and Frazier would be a great nickle guy. Hunter and Reeves/Jones/Thornton could fight it out for a roster spot.

That's one way the offseason could fall, anyway. Those free agents wouldn't cost too terribly much... none are elite money types although they are good to very good players and will command a decent amount. Still we should have some more money to sign a couple of offensive guys if we want to.

I only went into the first round of the draft. Obviously, Dallas could use some later picks on defensive help as well.

Thornton, Ogbogu, Shanle are also nice 3-4 depth parts.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
AsthmaField said:
I suppose you were talking to me. Who do you think I overvalued? Blade? I might give you that one alright.

Who else though?

Blade has the ability to be an excellent run stuffer. That's already proven.

The ONLY knock on Blade is his committment to being the best he can be. But a half assing blade is still a better run stuffer then Carson. Carson is more of a Glover type of DT.

That said, I don't want Blade to be our starter next year. I wouldn't mind him being the backup thoughl.

AJM1613

Reaction score
AsthmaField said:

Who else though?

Glover.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Rack said:
Blade has the ability to be an excellent run stuffer. That's already proven.

The ONLY knock on Blade is his committment to being the best he can be. But a half assing blade is still a better run stuffer then Carson. Carson is more of a Glover type of DT.

That said, I don't want Blade to be our starter next year. I wouldn't mind him being the backup thoughl.

My thoughts exactly Rack.

Blade coming in for Ferguson from time-to-time is ideal, assuming blade can stay on Parcell's straight and narrow. He'd have plenty of rest and he'd be a load in the fourth quarter if he's fresh.

Glover could take a few snaps a game at NT on obvious passing downs. Can you imagine Ellis, Glover, Spears, Merriman, and James all rushing the quarterback? That's some serious athletic ability going after the QB.

That would still leave Lucas, Newman, Baxter, R. Williams, Dat and Hartwell in coverage.

Blitz Roy from time-to-time and add him to the above pass rushers and it'd be Helter Skelter.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
AJM1613 said:

Ah... see we disagree there, although I'm not foolish enough to say I know I'm unequivocably right here either.

Glover holds up well against double team blocks. In my scenario, Laroi isn't a starter and would get breaks throughout the game. Coming in relatively fresh, he should be able to hold his ground against double teams at DE in the run game.

In passing situation, Glover at the nose should be able to get a push. If the OL doubles him, that leaves 3 OL to block Ellis, Spears and Merriman at least. One-on-one blocking for all unless the offense keeps in a TE or RB. If they start doing that, then Bradie James and Maybe Roy Williams can start coming after the QB.

In a nutshell, if they double Glover and leave Ellis, Spears and Merriman with one blocker that'll hurt them. It's a pick your poison issue.

Even if they do double Glover on passing plays... he's already used to that. He'll hold up fine. If they don't... he'll eat the center alive.

Certainly, don't use Glover at nose tackle in any situation except passing downs. He'll hold up at end too if he's not used on every down.

JMO.

Dough Boy

Seldom Seen
Reaction score
AsthmaField said:
Ah... see we disagree there, although I'm not foolish enough to say I know I'm unequivocably right here either.

Glover holds up well against double team blocks. In my scenario, Laroi isn't a starter and would get breaks throughout the game. Coming in relatively fresh, he should be able to hold his ground against double teams at DE in the run game.

In passing situation, Glover at the nose should be able to get a push. If the OL doubles him, that leaves 3 OL to block Ellis, Spears and Merriman at least. One-on-one blocking for all unless the offense keeps in a TE or RB. If they start doing that, then Bradie James and Maybe Roy Williams can start coming after the QB.

In a nutshell, if they double Glover and leave Ellis, Spears and Merriman with one blocker that'll hurt them. It's a pick your poison issue.

Even if they do double Glover on passing plays... he's already used to that. He'll hold up fine. If they don't... he'll eat the center alive.

Certainly, don't use Glover at nose tackle in any situation except passing downs. He'll hold up at end too if he's not used on every down.

JMO.

I could not have said it better. Glover is unblockalbe one on one. I think he has one of the best 'Bull Ruhses' in the league. This is striclty my opinion, but I think we will play some 3-4 and some 4-3. So Glover still has value.

The only addition I would make, would be to acquire Reggie Hayward during the FA period. He is the next Bert Berry coming out of Denver. He had 9 sacks last year in a reserve role and 11 sacks this year replacing Berry as the starter. Don't quote me on the stats, but I think they are close. Per a Denver News paper, the Broncos are considering moving to a 3-4, and they think he would be the perfect OLB for that scheme. So he can play both 3-4 and 4-3. Denver signed him to a one year tender last year, so he is unrestricted this year.