Ultimate Offseason

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Dough Boy said:
The only addition I would make, would be to acquire Reggie Hayward during the FA period. He is the next Bert Berry coming out of Denver. He had 9 sacks last year in a reserve role and 11 sacks this year replacing Berry as the starter. Don't quote me on the stats, but I think they are close. Per a Denver News paper, the Broncos are considering moving to a 3-4, and they think he would be the perfect OLB for that scheme. So he can play both 3-4 and 4-3. Denver signed him to a one year tender last year, so he is unrestricted this year.

I thought about adding an OLB in free agency in the scenario I mentioned. However, if we take an OLB in round one, I feel like we could use Hartwell at the inside spot more than we could use another OLB opposite Merriman (or D. Johnson). Bradie James and/or Kalen Thornton should do just fine at the other outside position if we have Merriman... at least that's what I think.

With Hartwell and Merriman, Dallas should be able to find the other two starters from what we have on hand... or later in the draft. If we got Merriman and Hayward, we'd have somewhat of a hole in the middle of the defense IMO.

Obviously you'd like both, but with so many holes... I can't see us getting more than one free agent LB.

Dough Boy

Seldom Seen
Reaction score
trickblue said:
hmmm... so Glover is over-rated... and Douglas was not a couple of years back?

AJM, Is Kearse not over-rated now? How many sacks did Kearse have? How many did Glover have.

I love your consistency and your abilty to make a point at all 'lost' cause.

First Douglas and now Kearse....

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
Dough Boy said:
and Kearse is not over-rated now. How many sacks did Kearse have? How many did Glover have.

I love your consistency and your abilty to make a point at all 'lost' cause.

ummm... you miss MY point doughy...

Dough Boy

Seldom Seen
Reaction score
AsthmaField said:
I thought about adding an OLB in free agency in the scenario I mentioned. However, if we take an OLB in round one, I feel like we could use Hartwell at the inside spot more than we could use another OLB opposite Merriman (or D. Johnson). Bradie James and/or Kalen Thornton should do just fine at the other outside position if we have Merriman... at least that's what I think.

With Hartwell and Merriman, Dallas should be able to find the other two starters from what we have on hand... or later in the draft. If we got Merriman and Hayward, we'd have somewhat of a hole in the middle of the defense IMO.

Obviously you'd like both, but with so many holes... I can't see us getting more than one free agent LB.

but you need two OLB that can get to the QB. I think Hayward is a still. He has proven value in the 4-3 with 11 sacks this year. I'm not sold on either James or Thornton. I think they are no more than solid backups. James did not impress me with playing time this year. Plus, I think he is more suited for the ILB position. I don't know about Thornotn. He did not get to the QB at all this year. Maybe he will grow. But do you want to hang the D on those two. I'd rather have a known commodity with Hayward. After all, Merriman is a unknown commodity to the pro ranks.

Dough Boy

Seldom Seen
Reaction score
trickblue said:
ummm... you miss MY point doughy...

I came across wrong. I was aiming at the Iggle :iggles: Boy and not you. If AJM thinks Glover is overrated, he must think that Kearse is also...

Sorry Trick, you know you my Dawg.....

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
So you're saying get Hayward and Merriman and play Dat and James at ILB?

Hmmmm...

Perhaps James could play ILB... He played in the middle some at LSU, but Hartwell is just a rock in the middle.

Frankly, if we go to a 3-4 I'll be less worried about the pass rush than I will be about the run defense. I think we'll have a pass rush, but I'm afraid we'll allow 4.8 YPC.

Gawd that felt funny to say that.

Dough Boy

Seldom Seen
Reaction score
AsthmaField said:
So you're saying get Hayward and Merriman and play Dat and James at ILB?

Hmmmm...

Perhaps James could play ILB... He played in the middle some at LSU, but Hartwell is just a rock in the middle.

Frankly, if we go to a 3-4 I'll be less worried about the pass rush than I will be about the run defense. I think we'll have a pass rush, but I'm afraid we'll allow 4.8 YPC.

Gawd that felt funny to say that.

I would still bring in either Kendrell Bell (when healthy he is a beast) or Hartwell. I like both of them. At the LB position I would start

Dat - ILB
Hartwell - ILB
Merriman - OLB
Hayward - OLB

If James is the real deal and just needs another year to season himself, Dat's contract is coming up soon and you can phase Dat out next year and start James. Under no circumstances do I want to pin this season to James being an integral part of the D. If he steps up, I think that is great. To turn this ship around, the LB have to fire on all cylinders. I don't know if James is ready for this stage. Gotta have some insurance.

trickblue

Reaction score
Dough Boy said:
I came across wrong. I was aiming at the Iggle :iggles: Boy and not you. If AJM thinks Glover is overrated, he must think that Kearse is also...

Sorry Trick, you know you my Dawg.....

oh it's cool... I took no offense... you are a good poster here...

It was probably a result of me not getting MY point across...

AJM is a good fan... and a good poster on this board... but he is tends to be a homer at times... he said that Glover was over-rated... but he would have defended Douglas to the max...

My comparison was Glover to Douglas...

There have been many theories bantered about here... I didn't mean to start a war here... but rather tout the much-forgotten Ellis...

He, IMHO, is a MUCH better value than Kearse... and that is not a knock on Kearse's ability...

Reaction score
It will be interesting to see what happens, because we know that Parcells has seen enough of zimmy's wussy @$$ D...

Frankly, I have seen enough of both tiny dat & Dex as well...

Many changes are coming! Can't wait to become a tough Defense again!

Dough Boy

Seldom Seen
Reaction score
trickblue said:
oh it's cool... I took no offense... you are a good poster here...

It was probably a result of me not getting MY point across...

AJM is a good fan... and a good poster on this board... but he is tends to be a homer at times... he said that Glover was over-rated... but he would have defended Douglas to the max...

My comparison was Glover to Douglas...

There have been many theories bantered about here... I didn't mean to start a war here... but rather tout the much-forgotten Ellis...

He, IMHO, is a MUCH better value than Kearse... and that is not a knock on Kearse's ability...

I follow you. I think you are right on the Glover to Douglas comparison. I like
AJM. He is a little myopic (toward the Iggles), rightfully so - but this is home turf and must be defend. :)

Onto the Ellis thought. He is one of the most under aprreciated guys in the league. I don't think fans understand that Ellis is a nightmare for other teams. During the Iggles game this year vs Dallas in Philly, I remember Moose saying that the Iggles wanted to make sure they knew if Ellis was inside or outside, b/c they had to account for him. A couple of plays later, Ellis sacked McChunky Soup and caused a fumble which we recovered.

Somtimes, I don't even think our own fans realize how good this guy is. If we had 10 other Ellis's on D, we wouldn't have any worries... JMHO

trickblue

Reaction score
Dough Boy said:
I follow you. I think you are right on the Glover to Douglas comparison. I like
AJM. He is a little myopic (toward the Iggles), rightfully so - but this is home turf and must be defend. :)

Onto the Ellis thought. He is one of the most under aprreciated guys in the league. I don't think fans under stand that Ellis is a nightmare for other teams. During the Iggles game this year vs Dallas in Philly, I remember Moose saying that the Iggles wanted to make sure they knew if Ellis was inside or outside, b/c they had to account for him. A couple of plays later, Ellis sacked McChunky Soup and caused a fumble which we recovered.

Somtimes, I don't even think our own fans realize how good this guy is. If we had 10 other Ellis's on D, we wouldn't have any worries... JMHO

You are right... they don't...

Which is why we still have the Ellis/Moss argument... it defies logic...

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
AJM1613 said:

Glover is better then any DT on the Eagles roster. Don't know why you'd think he's overvalued.

b_virtue

Reaction score
here is the best.

1(11) Trade down 2 spots so Houston can steal Mike williams from San Diego. we get the 13th pick and their 2nd round. they have extra picks anyway. with the 1(13) pick we get Derrick Johnson (OLB)

1(20) Trade down 2 spots so Baltimore can get Heath Miller from Jacksonville. we get their 1(22) pick and their 3rd rounder. with the 1(22) pick we take David Pollock (DE)

2(11) Anttaj Hawthorne (DT)

2(13) Elton Brown (OG)

3(22) Antonio Perkins (CB)

4(11) James Butler (FS)

then in the free Agency
Pat Williams (DT)
Ken Lucas (CB)
Plaxico Burress (WR)
Drew Bledsoe (QB)

Now i know this is a stretch, but we are saying the ultimate offseason

Our line up will be:

Woodson/Butler Williams/Dixon
Lucas/Hunter/Frazier Newman/Reeves/Perkins
Johnson/Coakley Nuygen/O'Neil James/Singleton
Pollock/Wiley Williams/Hawthorne Glover/Carson Ellis/Ogbogo

Adams/Rodgers Adams/Walter Johnson/Walter Brown/Gurode Vollers/Tucker
Bledsoe/Henson/Romo Witten/Campbell/Ryan
Keyshawn/Morgan/Copper Burress/Glen/Crayton
Barnes/Anderson
Jones/Bickerstaff/Anderson

i would love to see that Defense. Plus our offense will have a little more spark. Our weekness this year will be our O-Line. but if they can give bledsoe just enough time to get the ball to either, Witten, Keyshawn, Burress, or Glen, we will be awsome. i think bledsoe would jump at the opportunity to have this WR crew.