Ummm, We're 6-2 with Tony Romo as our starting Quarterback

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
This is how tenuous our shot at the playoffs really is.

Let's say we lose 1 more game and are 11-5. We could still miss the playoffs with that record. Especially if we lose to another NFC team.

Okay, so let's say we lose to the Steelers and win all the other games. Cowboys are 11-5.

Giants are going to win the NFC East. No way do they lose 4 of their last 5 games.

I said before it is to our advantage that we are at least tied with the Buccaneers. Now you will see why. Let's say Tampa also loses 1 more. To the Falcons. That puts them at 12-4.

If Carolina's only loss is to the Buccaneers and the Falcons win out that would put both of them at 12-4.

No matter what Arizona and the eventual winner of the NFC North do, Dallas would be eliminated.

So let's look at this. By some miracle this would have the Giants losing 3 games.

NFC East, Giants, 12-4.
NFC North, Bears or Vikings, doesn't matter.
NFC West, Cardinals are in. Doesn't matter.
NFC South, 3 teams at 12-4. 1 would be the division winner, the other 2 would be the Wildcards.

Is it likely? No. Is it possible? Of course it is.

Now let's say Dallas loses to the Giants but wins their other games. Still at 11-5. 7-5 in the NFC.

Again, it is to our advantage to be at least tied with Tampa Bay. If Carolina and Atlanta also finish at 11-5 we again are in jeopardy because of the 7-5 record against the NFC.

The Falcons would have to lose 2 more games to be 10-6 before we hold any tie breaker on them. Carolina would also have to lose both of their games to NFC opponents. Then it would come down to common record between Carolina and Dallas.

If they beat the Giants, but we lose to them the common opponents would be...

Green Bay
Arizona
Tampa Bay
NY Giants

Dallas wins would be Green Bay and Tampa Bay. Dallas losses would be Arizona and twice to the Giants. 2-3.

Panthers wins would be Arizona, and NY. Carolina losses would be twice to Tampa Bay. Our entire playoff life could hinge on whether they beat Green Bay this week or not. They beat Green Bay, that puts them 3-2 against common opponents.

We're out again.

There is literally no room for error. These scenarios do not even bring up the Commanders who hold the tiebreaker over us at this point and they do not allow for the Bears or Vikings to get hot.

12-4 and we are in. 11-5 and we have some ways to get screwed. 10-6 and I think we are done and out of the Playoffs.

Hence the "doom and gloom."

Billy Bullocks

Reaction score
With Romo in, you can see how and why this team won 13 game last year.

Do I like the fact that we can afford 1-2 losses down the stretch to get into the playoffs? No.

But with Romo playing back there, I think we have a really good shot at winning alot of the tought games.

Sure Pittburgh and Baltimore are tought opponents. With Romo, I still think that we are better than them.

I can also see us getting some revenge on the Giants.

As long as we win the "winable" games, I think we should be fine. And with Romo, I think we have a really good shot to win those "unwinable" ones too.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
Hostile;2442063 said:
The "doom and gloom" isn't about whether we are or aren't a better team with Tony at QB. That isn't even debatable. Of course we are.
Here are the current Division Leaders

1. Giants, 10-1
2. Buccaneers, 8-3
3. Cardinals, 7-4
4. Bears, 6-5

You know what's really infuriating here? Currently, the second seeded team in the NFC is the Bucs, whom the Cowboys defeated with Brad Johnson at QB and virtually no offensive production.

In essence, the Cowboys beat the second-best team in the NFC (according to playoff standings) with only half a team, and they're still two games out of the final wild card spot.

Unbelievable.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
If Dallas is good enough to win a playoff game, they'll be good enough to get to the playoffs. It really is that simple.

I am glad this team needs to play with urgency but I am far from gloom and doom. The NFC South has to face each other a good deal over the final 5 games.

If Dallas beats Seattle as it well should it will have 10 days to prepare for Pittsburgh. It will be sitting 8-4 and probably staring at a wildcard position by the time they tip off.

Tie-breakers will change a great deal over the final 5 weeks and if we keep winning they won't matter anyways.

It is pointless to fret this at this point. Day 1 of the season there were all sorts of scenarios where Dallas could have missed the playoffs but you have to let the season play out and that still applies at this point. The week after Thanksgiving we can start to look more closely at numbers and have some idea but right now 5-6 teams have a chance to make the playoffs.

The only dead birds are the guys who are stressing this nonsense this far out. Relax, let the team play and all will be well.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
Hostile;2442710 said:
Let's say Tampa also loses 1 more. To the Falcons. That puts them at 12-4.

If Carolina's only loss is to the Buccaneers and the Falcons win out that would put both of them at 12-4.

For that to happen, all three of them would have to beat the 6-5 Saints, who have the No. 1 offense and have won their past two games by an average of 16 points. Two of them would have to win in New Orleans, where the Saints are 5-1. The only one that would be at home against the Saints is Tampa Bay, which already lost to New Orleans once.

In addition, Carolina (which has a losing record on the road) would have to win AT Green Bay and AT the 10-1 Giants (who are undefeated at home), AND would have to beat the Broncos.

In addition, Atlanta (which has a losing record on the road) would not only have to beat the Saints on the road, they'd also have to beat San Diego on the road AND Minnesota on the road. Both of those teams have winning records at home, and both of San Diego's home losses came on the final play of the game against teams that are a combined 15-7.

What are the odds that all 13 of their games will fall EXACTLY wrong for us? At even generous odds for each particular game falling wrong for us, I get a 1.18 percent chance of all 13 doing so.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
AdamJT13;2442847 said:
For that to happen, all three of them would have to beat the 6-5 Saints, who have the No. 1 offense and have won their past two games by an average of 16 points. Two of them would have to win in New Orleans, where the Saints are 5-1. The only one that would be at home against the Saints is Tampa Bay, which already lost to New Orleans once.

In addition, Carolina (which has a losing record on the road) would have to win AT Green Bay and AT the 10-1 Giants (who are undefeated at home), AND would have to beat the Broncos.

In addition, Atlanta (which has a losing record on the road) would not only have to beat the Saints on the road, they'd also have to beat San Diego on the road AND Minnesota on the road. Both of those teams have winning records at home, and both of San Diego's home losses came on the final play of the game against teams that are a combined 15-7.

What are the odds that all 13 of their games will fall EXACTLY wrong for us? At even generous odds for each particular game falling wrong for us, I get a 1.18 percent chance of all 13 doing so.
I said it was long odds. I will feel a lot better about our chances if we keep winning and teams I want to lose like Tampa, Washington, and Atlanta will stop it.

I won't be comfortable until we control our own destiny. Win and we are in. At that point, I will relax a little. Until then, doom and gloom is on the menu.