Unapproached elements in the Zeke Elliott developments. NFL players brace for labor troubles

RoboQB

Reaction score
Sorry, with the social violence that is rampant along with terrorism, things aren't to be sneezed at. Yakuza presents a discussion along with the points that he presents and walks the second mile...

but as to the 60's, we walked the road of attempted peaceful protest with dog bites and clubs...then there was the Black Panthers and La Raza outside of the 'criminal' elements. Coming out of Viet Nam, we had to change an entire NCO corp that only wanted to go to the bush and kill. Oh, I had to walk the course of nose to nose confrontations with disagreements.

Sticking to principals is American, and I have fought for the right to freedom of speech. But don't ask me also to ignore also, the emotional excusing of pure anger.

The legal aspects were negotiated away, somewhat, with the past contract. That aspect is being used now, and doesn't seem to also be recognized in the discussion as well.

That's great and all.

Maybe we can keep on topic. This is a forum for football fans. Social violence and terrorism are not on topic here.
Thank you for your service, sir.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
We're going to have a strike to protect less than 1% of the players who are bad boys?

Cowboy fans really need to get over themselves with this Elliott case. It's never been about a guilty or innocent verdict.

This conduct policy is merely an attempt by the NFL to present a perception the league is being tough on a very hot topic in society.

If Patriot fans can survive Brady's suspension , lost draft pick and public ridicule over deflating balls I'm sure Cowboy fans will survive this.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It's really self centered to even begin a narrative or debate about a work stoppage over a labor dispute as a result of this controversial conduct policy or drug testing. It effects such a small percentage of the players.

We want to fix something that's servicing 99% of the players just fine. Where in society or in your workplace do we go to such extremes when such a low minority are feeling wrongfully treated?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The NFL is a very lucrative business now not only for the owners and players but everyone involved from networks to sponsors. This is not the league I grew up with where owners were more of a hobby to indulge the local fans with a minimal investment of only $50,000 by the original Cowboy owner and part time players that needed regular jobs in the off season to support their families earning then what would be below the poverty level now.

This is not just a football game the NFL is a multi billion sports entertainment business . And with that comes a responsibility to the public to set some guidelines to adhere to the laws of the land and hot topics with the popularity and exposure the NFL has now in popular culture.

With that comes a greater commitment and responsibility not only to the fans but to those who are invested and supporting financially.

Personally I'd be fine going back to an age where all games aren't televised being a local fan where I first attended for a single dollar sitting in the endzone or a reserved seat for five dollars which I still have stubs from. Up until the new NFL blackout rule in 1973 all home games were blacked out locally .

Do fans really want to go back to an age without the technology and access of this generation ? I don't think so. The point is the league has evolved into this huge conglomerate because of the popularity and success of the sport. I truly don't see us rolling it back at this point but with this new age does come some sacrifices which includes the media 24/7 hype and the political impact which includes these social hot spots which we're going to have to deal with or risk it all.

I think the owners or at least most of them realize this who have had to play this role being in business most of their lives. And they've empowered their Commissioner to take on this multi facet role which includes an Enforcer to take the heat off of each owner individually with the public as it could effect their revenue and sponsors more directly. Imagine the heat Kraft would have taken locally if he was the one who suspended Brady or Jerry Elliott?

I was in business all of my adult life . Very fortunate growing up in a family business and I was exposed to sports, college football and the NFL at a very young age when I first begin meeting players when I was still in Jr High and high school because of my Uncles involvement as an explayer and his connection and access doing business with some of them not to mention a season ticket holder for over 40 years and traveling with the team on many road games .

I've been very fortunate. I've lived a wonderful Cowboys fan life meeting many of the players from the 60's and 70's with my Uncle including Landry then on my own in the 80's and 90's ushering Jerry in and joining his newly created Dallas Cowboys Travel Club which provided us up close contact with players coaches and even our newly HOF Jerry Jone$ who I've so often criticized but was a fan and supporter of his early on.

I like to think my personal experiences have provided me an insight and instinct that helps bring a perspective to take a step back for all of us to a more unbiased opinion . I understand how deeply convicted we can become with our team and certain players with our conviction to win but we must like the owners look at the bigger picture for the NFL future and survival in a complex world and social climate.

Last edited:

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Recently, the pendulum has shifted somewhat in favor of the owners during the last CBA negotiations.
I wonder if the players will address before their contract is up by changing the leadership. Smith got schooled.

ThreeandOut

Reaction score
We're going to have a strike to protect less than 1% of the players who are bad boys?

Cowboy fans really need to get over themselves with this Elliott case. It's never been about a guilty or innocent verdict.

This conduct policy is merely an attempt by the NFL to present a perception the league is being tough on a very hot topic in society.

If Patriot fans can survive Brady's suspension , lost draft pick and public ridicule over deflating balls I'm sure Cowboy fans will survive this.

But 100% of the players can potentially be railroaded like they are doing with Zeke and 100% could potentially be blackmailed with a false accusation.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
But 100% of the players can potentially be railroaded like they are doing with Zeke and 100% could potentially be blackmailed with a false accusation.
Yep but they aren't . Wonder why?

My advice is to tread carefully while in NFL. Choose wisely.

And if your with a women who ends up with bruises you better be prepared to prove your innocence.

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
I've posted before on this matter, and I'm generally in agreement with @Yakuza Rich, though I try to be a bit careful with my tone because of the seriousness of domestic abuse.

In short, I don't think Zeke hit Tiffany, and I think the NFL is absolutely trying to forge ahead with a case because of the profile of it. If you successfully suspend a dynamic name on the most dynamic franchise in football, you score all of the cool points with fans and the media...unless there are way too many plot holes in your own plan.

This will backfire, because the evidence isn't there. When even female sports journalists are calling it questionable, that's how you know the NFL's decision is wildly problematic. Many of the same journos who rode the Greg Hardy* train from start to finish are tapping the brakes on this one. I think that's significant.

*I still, to this day, believe that Greg Hardy did not abuse that woman. I also firmly believe that he is still an asshat and shouldn't have been on this team.

One of the issues I have with NFL is that part of their investigation is making Zeke explain how she Tiffany Thompson has bruises? Why is this his responsibility? There is evidence that indicates a reason that has nothing to do with Zeke. THE NFL SHOULD BE TRYING TO PROVE THAT ZEKE ACTUALLY DID IT. Not Zeke prove that he didn't.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
One of the issues I have with NFL is that part of their investigation is making Zeke explain how she Tiffany Thompson has bruises? Why is this his responsibility? There is evidence that indicates a reason that has nothing to do with Zeke. THE NFL SHOULD BE TRYING TO PROVE THAT ZEKE ACTUALLY DID IT. Not Zeke prove that he didn't.

Exactly. The burden of proof of a preponderance of the evidence is on the petitioner/plaintiff in the legal system.

The NFL is a disaster.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Exactly. The burden of proof of a preponderance of the evidence is on the petitioner/plaintiff in the legal system.

The NFL is a disaster.

habeas corpus...Latin: show me the body

By the constitution, Article one, section 9, paragraph 2...which can only be ignored during war or rebellion stemming from treason.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't see a work stoppage because:

1. Players only play 3-4 years on average, so they aren't going to sacrifice the prime earning years of their life for other dudes to come later.

2. I think the owners want out of the police game. I think the league will loosen the rules on off-field behavior and let the police handle much of it.

3. Marijuana will no longer be tested for.

4. See #1.

The owners want the players to give up money in order to get #2 and #3.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They're very different indeed. Very similar to nonjudicial punishment in the military under the UCMJ -- if the Commander just "feels like" a trooper did the "crime", then he can be found guilty with the flimsiest of evidence.

I wish they would hire me to fix their system. I have a great idea that lives in a MS Word document on my computer.

I think the big discussions for the next CBA will be CTE and long term care for players post-career/in retirement, marijuana/cannabis regulation and testing, and of course player discipline.

IMO, the Owners want the players to be totally focused on the Discipline Issues and Weed Issue to the point that the players forget about the CTE issue. Also, the owners always want more concessions in terms of money. The players can get whatever they want in terms of changing the discipline polity and weed policy IF they're willing to give up enough money.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
IMO, the Owners want the players to be totally focused on the Discipline Issues and Weed Issue to the point that the players forget about the CTE issue. Also, the owners always want more concessions in terms of money. The players can get whatever they want in terms of changing the discipline polity and weed policy IF they're willing to give up enough money.

They may give up money, but want a higher guaranteed percentage.

It's like monopoly money in the NFL with non-guaranteed contracts.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They may give up money, but want a higher guaranteed percentage.

It's like monopoly money in the NFL with non-guaranteed contracts.

Yes, the owners screwed themselves when the did the first contracts with guaranteed money. The salary cap rules made it a given that teams would start giving out signing bonuses.

The players obviously see the NBA and MLB where contracts are fully guaranteed. The NFL product would suffer significantly if they ever had fully guarantee contracts.

The owners will likely want to save both total and guaranteed money in exchange for improved discipline procedures and for eliminating weed testing. In fact it's high likely from everything I've heard/read over the years that the NFL put in Weed testing just so to use it as a negotiating tool in the next CBA.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's really self centered to even begin a narrative or debate about a work stoppage over a labor dispute as a result of this controversial conduct policy or drug testing. It effects such a small percentage of the players.

We want to fix something that's servicing 99% of the players just fine. Where in society or in your workplace do we go to such extremes when such a low minority are feeling wrongfully treated?

Conduct unbecoming the league with no definition or limit and based solely on the Commissioner's discretion is a huge issue that affects every single player on every single team. In Zeke's case, what's unusual is that the suspension was based entirely off an an unproven allegation when all the witness affidavits support the player and where there's direct evidence that the accuser was both willing to lie, willing to extort the player for money, and intended to do so specifically to damage his career. It's probably the single worst example the league could have set for the players. The fact that it happened to a Cowboy is academic.

You're fooling yourself if you don't think this is the kind of issue the players union is going to dig in over. They absolutely have to.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Conduct unbecoming the league with no definition or limit and based solely on the Commissioner's discretion is a huge issue that affects every single player on every single team. In Zeke's case, what's unusual is that the suspension was based entirely off an an unproven allegation when all the witness affidavits support the player and where there's direct evidence that the accuser was both willing to lie, willing to extort the player for money, and intended to do so specifically to damage his career. It's probably the single worst example the league could have set for the players. The fact that it happened to a Cowboy is academic.

You're fooling yourself if you don't think this is the kind of issue the players union is going to dig in over. They absolutely have to.
We'll see but if it means a lower % for the players I'm not sure the majority of players would agree .

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The owners wouldn't care less as long as these guys were helping them win as long as the fans, networks and sponsors continued to support at the same level.

But Sponsors don't want their product endorsing such conduct. Look how Sponsors aborted Tiger.

Another great example is on Fox how sponsors pulled the plug on the networks top news personality .

Fans either aren't getting or not wanting to get why the league is policing themselves and why they'll continue to do so.

diefree666

Reaction score
If you look around at the various forums for the NFL teams you will find that there is certainly a lot of rumbling that is coming from players regarding NFL and Goodell as regards so called discipline and punishment. A lot of those considered LEADERS in the NFLPA have shown distinct worry on this subject. So those claiming that the NFLPA will ignore this or not make it a major issue in the next CBA are deluded.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Sow me the body, or see Article 1, section 9, paragraph 2 of the Constitution!!!