UNC Players Gone

LatinG187

Defense Wins Championships
Reaction score
Felton, May, Williams all leaving Carolina
KEITH PARSONS / Associated Press
Posted: 2 minutes ago

RALEIGH, N.C. - Fans of the North Carolina Tar Heels will find out Friday what type of team they'll cheer for in 2005-06. They may not like the news.

The school has already confirmed that Raymond Felton, Sean May and freshman Marvin Williams will hold a news conference at 1:30 p.m. ET Friday to make their draft intentions known.
Also...

According to an ESPN report, Felton and May plan to hire agents and will declare for the NBA draft.

There is conflicting information regarding Williams, according to the report, who could be the highest pick of the three. Williams, who considered going pro out of high school, averaged 11.3 points and 6.6 rebounds off the bench.

Guard Rashad McCants already has declared for the NBA draft, and Jawad Williams, Jackie Manuel and Melvin Scott completed their eligibility.

If May, Felton and Williams join McCants in leaving early, the national champ Tar Heels will lose their top seven scorers from this past season.

May was adamant immediately after the season that he would be back, but he has backed off a bit recently. He was magnificent during the NCAA tournament, averaging 22.3 points and 10.7 rebounds while shooting 67 percent.

Felton, a speedy point guard who scored 13 points per game, made his decision last week but wanted to wait to announce it.

"It was difficult, but I think it's what's best for me," Felton said then. "It's something I wanted."

Chris Monter, who publishes an NBA draft newsletter and also edits a Web site devoted to college basketball, lists Felton third among point guards, behind Wake Forest's Chris Paul and Illinois' Deron Williams.

Williams never started as a freshman for North Carolina and averaged 11 points in a reserve role. He likely would have been a lottery pick had he entered the NBA right out of high school, and a few mock drafts on the Internet have him listed as the No. 2 selection, after Utah's Andrew Bogut.

"I would think he's going to be a top-five pick, you kind of wonder if he would really want to come back after winning a national title, particularly if the others leave," Monter said.

jacs

I'd Hit It
Reaction score
it indeed sucks Terry can fill McCants shoes and Thomas can provide the quickness that Fleton gave but needs the experience, Noel can provide the defense that Manuel gave every game but with some more offense but replacing May and the 2 Williams is going to be hard.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
I'm choked that the top 7 guys are gone but how can I be mad at players who gave me a championship and now want to cash in on their fame.

Unlike Krezewski at Duke who does all he can to ensure his players stay mostly for his own glory, UNC has always ensured the players do what is right for themselves.

As the old saying goes, it's the Carolina way.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I wouldn't be too upset UNC fans. Coach Williams was in Houston at this big time AAU tournament I was reffing in. It's one of the largest in the country. There were kids from all over the nation and the talent was awesome. So, don't worry, I do believe Roy Williams is on the job.

Also saw Lute Olsen and a bunch of other top college coaches here. real cool thing. :)

Mamba

RatisBeast
Reaction score
This type of stuff happens when you have a good season. I honestly don't think they will be good in the NBA. They were great college players but I just don't see them panning out to being anything more than somewhat above average. From all i think McCants has the talent but not the mental part down. Felton would be the guy to have a shot of being something. Guards are quicker in the NBA so we'll see how he adjusts.