Under what circumstances does Garrett avoid getting the axe after this season?

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
Jerry will renew Garrett as long as he continues to have Postseason success even with how minimal that has been. This team would have to lose more than 8-9 games for Jerry to move on, even then it would take several subpar seasons, at least 2-3 in a row...

Jipper

Reaction score
I think he probably has to win a divisional playoff game

Valkyr

Reaction score
Garrett would never find another owner that would let him hang around for 10 years and not win anything significant, so he'll never leave on his own.

Jerry needs someone he's 'comfortable' with (i.e., feed his massive, completely undeserved ego), so he's not going to get anyone else.

Garrett re-signing no matter what happens this season is just a formality.

MCMetal69

Reaction score
Super Bowl or get rid of him......................The same ole same ole is way played out.............................

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
I think he has to at least make the playoffs but who knows the owner is senile and his son is not much better jerry is going to do what jerry wants because he knows there is nothing that will happen other than some grumbling from some fans the goal of the dallas is not to compete or win championships under the current format its to make money and be relevant in the news media

fairviewfarmer

Reaction score
A playoff win will get Garrett signed to a new contract with the Cowboys. In my opinion, he doesn't have many other NFL teams looking to hire him as HC.

_sturt_

Reaction score
8-8 or better?
Winning record, regardless of playoff status?
At least a playoff appearance?
At least one playoff win (for the second straight year)?
At least a close-fought defeat in the divisional round (like the 2014 and 2016 Green Bay games, but a better showing than last year)?

Correct Answer: At least a NFCCG appearance
At least a NFCCG appearance and a close-fought defeat?
At least a Super Bowl appearance?
At least a Super Bowl appearance and a close-fought defeat?
Super Bowl victory?

What about excuses based on if Zeke is there or not? What about other injuries?

Discuss.

This question has been asked more than a couple of times over the off-season as I recall, and my answer is the same as ever.

Can't ever rule out extenuating circumstances until one knows what those might be, but I'd say they'd have to be pretty extreme to matter.

What will be interesting, if Red is made to step aside as HC, is whether he remains with the team in some other capacity.

Altestic

Reaction score
This question has been asked more than a couple of times over the off-season as I recall, and my answer is the same as ever.

Can't ever rule out extenuating circumstances until one knows what those might be, but I'd say they'd have to be pretty extreme to matter.

What will be interesting, if Red is made to step aside as HC, is whether he remains with the team in some other capacity.
Extenuating circumstances don't include "Zeke didn't show up", correct. But they would include "Dak tore his ACL in week 2 scrambling for a first down" or something like that?

_sturt_

Reaction score
Extenuating circumstances don't include "Zeke didn't show up", correct. But they would include "Dak tore his ACL in week 2 scrambling for a first down" or something like that?

That's probably accurate.

I might say if he has to show up in a hospital bed and coach from the press box, that might be the line in the sand.

Altestic

Reaction score
That's probably accurate.

I might say if he has to show up in a hospital bed and coach from the press box, that might be the line in the sand.
I just thought about it... if at any time we lose Dak for significant time then either Cooper Rush or Clayton Thorson is our QB. Which means we're toast.

_sturt_

Reaction score
I just thought about it... if at any time we lose Dak for significant time then either Cooper Rush or Clayton Thorson is our QB. Which means we're toast.

Right.

Exception being, I don't totally rule out Romo coming back if it were late in the season and we were widely thought to be on the cusp of a Super Bowl.

Praxit

Reaction score
..there is to much talent on the team, to not least get to 1st round playoff or NFC champion game. Anything less, you're fired.

Altestic

Reaction score
Right.

Exception being, I don't totally rule out Romo coming back if it were late in the season and we were widely thought to be on the cusp of a Super Bowl.
He's been out of football 3 years and is 39 and comfortable. If you don't want Rolando McClain back, why would you want Romo back?