Underrated Possible DE signing: John Simon

tm1119

Reaction score
Has been playing in Houston's 3-4 D since his rookie year, but played as a pure 4-3 DE for Ohio State so the position wouldn't be new to him. Everyone will say that he's too short at 6'1 but that's not actually what matters in my opinion. What matters is arm length to keep distance between the DE and the OT. Simon's arm length at the combine was 33 1/4", 6'5 Joey Bosa's was 33 3/8" last year..

Simon is quick and relentless and would be a really nice addition to the pass rush. 10.5 sacks the past 2 years in a minimum role (about 1200 snaps). Even if he's not an every down player I would be all for it if we would get him in the $4-$6M range.

Here's a highlight video of him playing DE at Ohio State

jday

Reaction score
I'm confused; are you saying this should happen or has happened? Your title suggests it has; your content suggest it should.

tm1119

Reaction score
Hmm. Veerrthee interesting. But... Is he the RKG?

Big time. From his draft profile on NFL.com

"Simon has a well-deserved reputation as a workout warrior, putting up big numbers and going through tough endurance skills in the weight room ever since high school. He?s also a two-time team captain at Ohio State, presenting just about everything an NFL team wants in a prospect in terms of strength and leadership."

tm1119

Reaction score
I'm confused; are you saying this should happen or has happened? Your title suggests it has; your content suggest it should.

No unrestricted free agent can be signed until the 9th. So no, we haven't signed him. Was just bringing up a name in free agency I haven't seen discussed much

vicjagger

Reaction score
Big time. From his draft profile on NFL.com

"Simon has a well-deserved reputation as a workout warrior, putting up big numbers and going through tough endurance skills in the weight room ever since high school. He?s also a two-time team captain at Ohio State, presenting just about everything an NFL team wants in a prospect in terms of strength and leadership."

Awesome! Thank you.

negativecreep

Reaction score
Has been playing in Houston's 3-4 D since his rookie year, but played as a pure 4-3 DE for Ohio State so the position wouldn't be new to him. Everyone will say that he's too short at 6'1 but that's not actually what matters in my opinion. What matters is arm length to keep distance between the DE and the OT. Simon's arm length at the combine was 33 1/4", 6'5 Joey Bosa's was 33 3/8" last year..

Simon is quick and relentless and would be a really nice addition to the pass rush. 10.5 sacks the past 2 years in a minimum role (about 1200 snaps). Even if he's not an every down player I would be all for it if we would get him in the $4-$6M range.

Here's a highlight video of him playing DE at Ohio State
I'd be ok with this.

fredp22

Reaction score
I like the idea of taking a look at him. Any idea why Houston isnt trying to resign? Hes cheap, good depth, and they have the cap room.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I'd be okay with his addition to the team but I just don't think we'll test the free agency waters.

thisiscowboyscountry

Reaction score
We need less rotation projects and more players that can produce regularly. I don't mind a short term fix with an aging proven veteran but we need to find a longer term option at DE that can play atleast 70 percent of the defensive snaps at a high level. Last year the de that played the most was Jack Crawford at 50 percent of the snaps. He is a high effort player, a decent backup, but for him to play the most time shows the true need at the position.

With no free agent splash likely we'll need to turn to players like Ware and Peppers, as well as a high draft pick to help try to improve the position.

jrumann59

Reaction score
We need less rotation projects and more players that can produce regularly. I don't mind a short term fix with an aging proven veteran but we need to find a longer term option at DE that can play atleast 70 percent of the defensive snaps at a high level. Last year the de that played the most was Jack Crawford at 50 percent of the snaps. He is a high effort player, a decent backup, but for him to play the most time shows the true need at the position.

With no free agent splash likely we'll need to turn to players like Ware and Peppers, as well as a high draft pick to help try to improve the position.
We all would like that but the true talents even marginal ones make it to FA. All that is in FA when it comes to DE is over the hill types that may or may not have tread, or guys that are rotational at best.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
wheres the Mickey "if hes so good, why is he avaliable" picture. Idk either way. Hes not going to put us over the hump, and if he sucks, well, he ll fit in.

haleyrules

Reaction score
Maybe the Cowboys will sign a couple of younger plyers with " some" potential like Carl Klug or Jacquies Smith. I know its not sexy like a Nick Perry but probably more realistic at this point in time.

tm1119

Reaction score

Both of those guys would also be rotational...You're not signing a 35 year old Ware coming off of back surgery to play starter snaps

Nick Perry is about the only starting caliber DE left. Maybe Sheard but he's more of a LDE. We're going to have to dive deep into free agency and hope a guy works out, like it or not.