Undrafted? So What?

Gryphon

Merge Ahead
Reaction score
I was taught this adage when I was kid, before I ever applied it to the great game of football: "Everything has a way of evening out."

Cowboys head coach Bill Parcells is in the talent acquisition business. That's not restricted to the NFL Draft.

Sure, high-round picks like Jacob Rogers and Stephen Peterman didn't work out. But here's a few undrafted guys acquired by the Cowboys for next to nothing:

Tony Romo; Lousaka Polite; Cory Procter; Ryan Fowler; Jamaica Rector.

Not bad, considering Romo is your only backup to Drew Bledsoe; Polite could carve a niche as a utility guy; Procter is your backup guard; Ryan Fowler would step in if Bradie James (groin) can't play Sunday and Rector will play against Jacksonville.

Now here's four more from this season:

Austin Miles; Sam Hurd; Abram Elam; Oliver Hoyte. All four made this roster by impressing the coaching staff in training camp and preseason. All four probably wouldn't have sniffed the practice squad if the Cowboys had attempted to put them through waivers.

That's talent acquisiton. Doesn't mean any of the aforementioned nine will start in the future (though Romo is a possibility down the line), and no doubt guys like Rogers and Peterman were drafted to eventually start. But while some high picks don't pan out, other low-risk additions can help fortify the bottom of your roster.

Things even out.

Published Tuesday, September 05, 2006 5:12 PM by rphillips