Update on Michael Gallup

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't think it hurts him, there is 3 years worth of film and Gallup is a pretty know commodity these day. I would agree if the injury was serious in terms of a long term injury.

I do.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I don't like 12 personnel. Telegraphs the run. 21 with Zeke/Pollard or McGovern and a back in the backfield is superior.
I said this before the season that we should see a lot more 12 personnel, its a deadly formation for dallas. because it forces the defense to take your poison and puts them in a lose lose situation. the offense, then can run or pass depending on defensive line up. specially that both of the TEs can catch and they are ok in run blocking, minimally getting in the way allowing zeke or pollard to pick their hole.

if the defense counters with LBs (run defense), then either or both TEs can go in routes and put pressure on pass defense. zeke is a great pass blocker and can be the release valve for a dump off. I take Jarwin and Schultz against a LB in pass coverage.
if the defense counters with a extra saftey, then we can run, since its a smaller front.

it would be hard to stop this formation for any defense against dallas.

MichiganCowboyFan

Reaction score
I said this before the season that we should see a lot more 12 personnel, its a deadly formation for dallas. because it forces the defense to take your poison and puts them in a lose lose situation. the offense, then can run or pass depending on defensive line up. specially that both of the TEs can catch and they are ok in run blocking, minimally getting in the way allowing zeke or pollard to pick their hole.

if the defense counters with LBs (run defense), then either or both TEs can go in routes and put pressure on pass defense. zeke is a great pass blocker and can be the release valve for a dump off. I take Jarwin and Schultz against a LB in pass coverage.
if the defense counters with a extra saftey, then we can run, since its a smaller front.

it would be hard to stop this formation for any defense against dallas.
so you're letting Gallup walk next year because of this?

nyc-cowboy

Reaction score
Unfortunately Gallop is gonna be a luxury that we simply cant afford - even if he did give a "discount rate".

Kearse, Kazee, Hooker and Neal, are all on 1 year deals...might need to sign a couple right there, not to mention Gregory who if he continues to ball out is gonna want a few dollars.

One thing in common all those have?.........all on D. And we all know we need all the help we can get on that side on the ball.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I agree and with the next two games against the Giants and Patriots before the bye week with how the offense is looking with Cedric Wilson filling in for Gallup, there's no need to rush him back risking reinjuring himself...
alternate view,

AC is straight beat up, barely making it through a game , we are missing Gallup and AC at 50% is a concern. WE managed to cover it up but that could change,

We need Gallup back asap.

Don't think for a minute that the offensive GP the last 3 games being more balanced and some more run heavy is because of the 2 wrs being banged up..

also concerning,

anyone notice Lamb not getting all the 1-1 because of this, looks rather pedestrian..

having all 3 of our starting WR matters..

We will need them to keep the threat of a 400 yard passing game alive. if not they will stack the boxes more..bet on this, these NeXT two teams will in fact do all they can to sell out to stop the run.

Lamb IMO is being exposed a bit, he's not beating double converge like AC can or beating the best cb following him all around.. if he cant, is he a future #1 ?

yup controversy thrown down;

Lamb is underperforming in my opinion. How about Punt Returns, hes definitely no dez at this point and that fact, when dez was our #1 and healthy, the dudes had 3 straight stats seasons in row that were ridiculous. not bad for 50- 50 ball guy who cant run routes , note sarcasm..:rolleyes:

Isn't the measure of a true #1 WR is being able to keep the big stats when you are the focus of the offense and get more DTs or have the best cb on you all game??

What if our run is completely shut down and we have to pass and become one dimensional without Gallup and healthy AC, will we get exposed?

We might...:huh::popcorn:

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
so you're letting Gallup walk next year because of this?
not sure how you came to that conclusion from what I said.
and I didn't say run 12 exclusively. I clearly said, see more of it since given our current personnel, its hard to defend.
I think we run a lot of 11 personnel as well. I think 11 personnel also helps put our best recieving group out there too and it pressures a defense as well. but again, not exclusively.
we have sprinkled in some 21 formations as well, some with McGovern at FB and some with pollard and zeke in at the same time
we probably will see some 10 personnel groupings since zeke is such a good pass blocker that pressures a defense differently
utilizing all the tools in your tool bag, makes it hard for a defense to key on anything.

and gallups is going to be expensive. wilson is doing the job. so gallup will probably walk because we have wilson on the team....is wilson as good as gallup? no. but we have enough offensive power and the money needs to be spent elsewhere.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Unfortunately Gallop is gonna be a luxury that we simply cant afford - even if he did give a "discount rate".

Kearse, Kazee, Hooker and Neal, are all on 1 year deals...might need to sign a couple right there, not to mention Gregory who if he continues to ball out is gonna want a few dollars.

One thing in common all those have?.........all on D. And we all know we need all the help we can get on that side on the ball.
I agree. I think considering the impact of keeping some of the defensive players, vs. the drop off from gallup to wilson, we need to invest on the defensive side this off season. its clear the difference between this year and last year and wins and losses. 2020 and 21, we are averaging 31.5 offensively in first 4 games. last year after 4 games, 1-3, this year 3-1. so we need to invest on defense a little

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
alternate view,

AC is straight beat up, barely making it through a game , we are missing Gallup and AC at 50% is a concern. WE managed to cover it up but that could change,

We need Gallup back asap.

Don't think for a minute that the offensive GP the last 3 games being more balanced and some more run heavy is because of the 2 wrs being banged up..

also concerning,

anyone notice Lamb not getting all the 1-1 because of this, looks rather pedestrian..

having all 3 of our starting WR matters..

We will need them to keep the threat of a 400 yard passing game alive. if not they will stack the boxes more..bet on this, these NeXT two teams will in fact do all they can to sell out to stop the run.

Lamb IMO is being exposed a bit, he's not beating double converge like AC can or beating the best cb following him all around.. if he cant, is he a future #1 ?

yup controversy thrown down;

Lamb is underperforming in my opinion. How about Punt Returns, hes definitely no dez at this point and that fact, when dez was our #1 and healthy, the dudes had 3 straight stats seasons in row that were ridiculous. not bad for 50- 50 ball guy who cant run routes , note sarcasm..:rolleyes:

Isn't the measure of a true #1 WR is being able to keep the big stats when you are the focus of the offense and get more DTs or have the best cb on you all game??

What if our run is completely shut down and we have to pass and become one dimensional without Gallup and healthy AC, will we get exposed?

We might...:huh::popcorn:
usually takes WRs three years to really get it. he is producing, but also our expectations are higher too. he is defintley a player you don't want to ignore and his YAC ability is what makes him good. he has AC as a mentor who is teaching him route running and that's a good thing.

yes, having all 3 WRs is key, but I do expect us to throw a lot of looks at opposing defenses, one it makes it difficult to defend, secondly it makes it harder for them to prepare. we are truly an offense right now that says, take your poison. we are telling them you can take, one or two of the weapons out, but you can't take all of them out. we take what you give us....given our big play ability, I expect to see a lot more deep zone coverage to limit the big play, their only chance is to force us to dink and dunk our way down, hoping we make mistakes.

blueblood70

Reaction score
usually takes WRs three years to really get it. he is producing, but also our expectations are higher too. he is defintley a player you don't want to ignore and his YAC ability is what makes him good. he has AC as a mentor who is teaching him route running and that's a good thing.

yes, having all 3 WRs is key, but I do expect us to throw a lot of looks at opposing defenses, one it makes it difficult to defend, secondly it makes it harder for them to prepare. we are truly an offense right now that says, take your poison. we are telling them you can take, one or two of the weapons out, but you can't take all of them out. we take what you give us....given our big play ability, I expect to see a lot more deep zone coverage to limit the big play, their only chance is to force us to dink and dunk our way down, hoping we make mistakes.
a lot of drops last year IMO and this year seems to not be taking that step so far..Id like some bigger splash plays on PRs as well

like i said Dez gets a lot of flack around here as one trick pony dont realize what he meant to this offense and his PR were great early on.. Dez > Lamb early in his career..stats dont lie..

im curious as a true #1 with all the focus on him, can lamb even be dez..not sure..

EX: I watched JUJU smith have early hype and once Brown/ Bell left just never became the guy..he dropped a bit still very good 2 but not Brown and not the same player once brown left..

It can happen..i dont care how much he wipes his nose lol

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
a lot of drops last year IMO and this year seems to not be taking that step so far..Id like some bigger splash plays on PRs as well

like i said Dez gets a lot of flack around here as one trick pony dont realize what he meant to this offense and his PR were great early on.. Dez > Lamb early in his career..stats dont lie..

im curious as a true #1 with all the focus on him, can lamb even be dez..not sure..

EX: I watched JUJU smith have early hype and once Brown/ Bell left just never became the guy..he dropped a bit still very good 2 but not Brown and not the same player once brown left..

Dez was good for a while, very physical. route running and speed weren't his forte....and because of his physicallity, he started getting injured and missing games.....that's what did him in.

Lamb is a different type of WR. but I think he can be as good or better, specially after the catch, where he is very dangerous....like I said, it takes time for WRs, usually by 3rd year and it was the same for Dez as well.

Doomsday101

Reaction score

Dez has not played on this team since 2017 so really who cares. Lamb is out doing his job, all the passes Dez caught means nothing we did not win. Lamb is part of a group of WR and they are doing the job. I really do not care about this individual stats I want win, I want these players doing their jobs and making plays when they come without the clown on the sideline hollering get me the ball. I have had enough of the individual stats especially if the end results are not leading to success.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Dez has not played on this team since 2017 so really who cares. Lamb is out doing his job, all the passes Dez caught means nothing we did not win. Lamb is part of a group of WR and they are doing the job. I really do not care about this individual stats I want win, I want these players doing their jobs and making plays when they come without the clown on the sideline hollering get me the ball. I have had enough of the individual stats especially if the end results are not leading to success.
i do he was harshly criticized, yet Lamb getting a pass so far..

I luv the passion TO, dez, and yes even MI brought to the sideline. Sorry wanst a distraction to me ala gimme the dang ball guy KJ, didn't they all play for us at some point? lOL

we need passion to go along with the lunch pail guys who shy away from drams..

the X is better then the nose swipe :) just sayin..

Doomsday101

Reaction score
i do he was harshly criticized, yet Lamb getting a pass so far..

I luv the passion TO, dez, and yes even MI brought to the sideline. Sorry wanst a distraction to me ala gimme the dang ball guy KJ, didn't they all play for us at some point? lOL

we need passion to go along with the lunch pail guys who shy away from drams..

the X is better then the nose swipe :) just sayin..

I love the passion by Irvin because he knew how to handle it, Dez not so much, often times he played worse. Fact is Lamb hold the Cowboys record for reception in their rookie year. There is nothing to come down on Lamb about he is out there as a member of this team doing his job. I'm tired of the ME guys I don't care about the ME I'm interested in winning game not prima donna who can't control their own emotions

Rayman70

Reaction score
What is his availability? Status? Lastly, where does he fit into the team the way Wilson has played in his absence? Wilson is smooth. Who is odd man out at wr?

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What is his availability? Status? Lastly, where does he fit into the team the way Wilson has played in his absence? Wilson is smooth. Who is odd man out at wr?
Wilson is the odd man out when Gallup comes back, provided that Coop is healthy.