Updated 09 Mock

cowboysfan31

Reaction score
2. B.J. Raji NT Boston College- He has the size and strength that we've been needing to plug up the middle, and he's also quick enough to add his own pass rush. This guy can be a difference maker in the middle for us.

3. Derek Pegues FS Miss. St- He has 4 years of experience playing in the fierce competition of the SEC. He is currently playing FS and doing quite well, but he has also played at CB, and he is a key special teams performer. I think he might be able to be the centerfield type of S we've been looking for that can tackle and isn't afraid to come up against the run either.

4a. Eric Wood OC Louisville- Size and speed fits right in on our line, and his experience in the pass-happy Cardinal offense will be welcomed.

4b. Jasper Brinkley ILB South Carolina- He might be the best 3-4 ILB in the draft, but a knee injury drags him down a little bit. A huge steal here.

5a. Demonte Bolden DT Tennessee- At 6'5" 290lbs he is a DT for Tennessee, but will be a perfect fit at DE for us. He's got 6TFL, 4 QBH, and 1 breakup so far from his DT spot. His large wingspan and impressive quickness should cause problems for OTs in this league for a long time.

5b. Ramses Barden WR Cal Poly- Intriguing size and speed with the production to match, but his level of competition leaves many questions unanswered about his true talent level. Definitely a project pick here.

6. Graham Harrell QB Texas Tech- I think this is the perfect backup for Romo. Harrell is very intelligent and is able to read defenses very well. He is not extremely mobile, but his is able to move around enough in the pocket to extend plays. Probably won't ever be a starter in this league, but I think he has the skills to keep this team afloat if we needed him for a few games.

7a. Kenny Mainor DE Troy- A huge risk here, but I think he's gonna be worth it. This is the guy that took Ware's spot and he kept up the level of production. He was only able to play in 3 games this season before a knee injury ended his season, but in those 3 games he had 14 tackles, 3 TFL, and 6 QBHs. I think he will be a better fit at ILB for us where he has the size to take on blockers and fill the gaps, but he is also quick enough to drop into coverage over the middle when he is needed.

7b. Antonio Dixon DT Miami (FL)- Just another big body for the middle of our defense. Built like a true NT, but really hasn't played up to his potential. He often plays too high and he is able to be turned. He needs to get stronger at the point of attack and learn to player lower. Could be a pleasant surprise or atleast a decent PS candidate.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
2. B.J. Raji NT Boston College- He has the size and strength that we've been needing to plug up the middle, and he's also quick enough to add his own pass rush. This guy can be a difference maker in the middle for us.

I like this pick I think he is really good however the DT on the other side of him is no slouch either and is a little bigger we could go either or IMO.

3. Derek Pegues FS Miss. St- He has 4 years of experience playing in the fierce competition of the SEC. He is currently playing FS and doing quite well, but he has also played at CB, and he is a key special teams performer. I think he might be able to be the centerfield type of S we've been looking for that can tackle and isn't afraid to come up against the run either.

This is an alright pick. I think everyone is on the Rashard Johnson bandwagon right now however a safety is needed.

4a. Eric Wood OC Louisville- Size and speed fits right in on our line, and his experience in the pass-happy Cardinal offense will be welcomed.

Why center when we have Gurode? I'd rather see a different position on OLine if we go Oline in the fourth.

4b. Jasper Brinkley ILB South Carolina- He might be the best 3-4 ILB in the draft, but a knee injury drags him down a little bit. A huge steal here.

IDK if he's a huge steal here with the knee injury we may be able to wait a little later and get him however inside LB is a position of need I like the way you're thinking.

5a. Demonte Bolden DT Tennessee- At 6'5" 290lbs he is a DT for Tennessee, but will be a perfect fit at DE for us. He's got 6TFL, 4 QBH, and 1 breakup so far from his DT spot. His large wingspan and impressive quickness should cause problems for OTs in this league for a long time.

To early for him and I think I'll pass on anyone on the Tennese defense thats not a DB.

5b. Ramses Barden WR Cal Poly- Intriguing size and speed with the production to match, but his level of competition leaves many questions unanswered about his true talent level. Definitely a project pick here.

He is an amazing talent....if he runs anything under a 4.5 he won't go this late.

6. Graham Harrell QB Texas Tech- I think this is the perfect backup for Romo. Harrell is very intelligent and is able to read defenses very well. He is not extremely mobile, but his is able to move around enough in the pocket to extend plays. Probably won't ever be a starter in this league, but I think he has the skills to keep this team afloat if we needed him for a few games.

If he falls this far I'd be estatic however this may be to late for him.

7a. Kenny Mainor DE Troy- A huge risk here, but I think he's gonna be worth it. This is the guy that took Ware's spot and he kept up the level of production. He was only able to play in 3 games this season before a knee injury ended his season, but in those 3 games he had 14 tackles, 3 TFL, and 6 QBHs. I think he will be a better fit at ILB for us where he has the size to take on blockers and fill the gaps, but he is also quick enough to drop into coverage over the middle when he is needed.

Injury + Red Flag issues this guy will be lucky to be drafted.

7b. Antonio Dixon DT Miami (FL)- Just another big body for the middle of our defense. Built like a true NT, but really hasn't played up to his potential. He often plays too high and he is able to be turned. He needs to get stronger at the point of attack and learn to player lower. Could be a pleasant surprise or atleast a decent PS candidate.

Would love for a Miami play to come to Dallas but I'll pass on this guy.

You only think we need a back up center along the OLine ?

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
we need depth across the board on our OL and all u draft is a C?

no offense, but your mock makes me want to puke.

Brinkley is slow and often injured.

Harrell is too small and a total system QB. I do not feel he will be a valuable NFL QB. TT QBs just don't make it in the NFL. But, he sure is a great college QB.

WR? we dont need a WR in this draft.....We have TO, Roy, Crayton, Hurd, Austin, Stanback, Amendola, etc. We can actually wait until 2010 to draft a WR. The only way I draft WR is if we are getting Crabtree, Maclin, Dez Bryant, or Heyward-Bey.......but since all of them are basically 1st and early 2nd round picks....no thank you to the rest of the WR class.

12 picks.....
OL - 4 (2 G, 1 T, 1 C)
LB - 3 (2 OLB, 1 ILB)
DB - 3 (2 S, 1 CB)
NT - 1
QB or DE - 1

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
Biggems;2414156 said:
we need depth across the board on our OL and all u draft is a C?

no offense, but your mock makes me want to puke.

Brinkley is slow and often injured.

Harrell is too small and a total system QB. I do not feel he will be a valuable NFL QB. TT QBs just don't make it in the NFL. But, he sure is a great college QB.

WR? we dont need a WR in this draft.....We have TO, Roy, Crayton, Hurd, Austin, Stanback, Amendola, etc. We can actually wait until 2010 to draft a WR. The only way I draft WR is if we are getting Crabtree, Maclin, Dez Bryant, or Heyward-Bey.......but since all of them are basically 1st and early 2nd round picks....no thank you to the rest of the WR class.

12 picks.....
OL - 4 (2 G, 1 T, 1 C)
LB - 3 (2 OLB, 1 ILB)
DB - 3 (2 S, 1 CB)
NT - 1
QB or DE - 1

:muttley:

I think we can cut Hurd and Stanback have Danny sit on the PS again and bring in another WR. I think rotating the bottom of the roster is the most important thing. We have to bring in new project and get something out of these players. Ramses Burden is putting up sick numbers and his metrics aren't bad either.

ThatsmyQB

Benched
Reaction score
cowboysfan31;2414023 said:

Definate need, and I like the pick, alllows us to move Ratliff to D.E.!

I like this pick also, gives us a good safety who has great cover skills.

I don't know about using a 4th round pick on a BACKUP CENTER, unless he's versatille enough to play guard also.

I like this pick!

How many SACKS does he have?
I want PREESSURE from our D.E.'s, enough of the Spears type players, I see onyl 4 Q.B. hurries, tha'ts not what I want from our D.E.'s, I want a 290 pond D.T. who gets pressure like a La'Roi Glover type then move him to our 3-4 D.E. spot.

Dont' want to draft any W.R. in this draft, there's no point IMO, we got our top 4 locked up, and I dont' mind sticking with Stanback as our #5 guy to see him develop one more year.

don't like him.

sounds good, I like taking risks on players in late rounds since the probability of making our current roster is slim.

I LOVE THIS PICK, Bigf body for us to backup raji if we move Ratliff to D.E. and cut Tank.

Overall not bad, I think if you replace the Center with a versatile lineman who can play all 4 line positions it would be better, maybe a guard like Lois Vasquez instead of your center and maybe switch your W.R. to O.T. Dallas Reynolds and you'd have a great draft IMO.
We think alike, check out my mock,basically the same positions and most of the smae players just tweaked a bit.
http://cowboyszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134950

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
ThatsmyQB;2414460 said:
Definate need, and I like the pick, alllows us to move Ratliff to D.E.!

I like this pick also, gives us a good safety who has great cover skills.

I don't know about using a 4th round pick on a BACKUP CENTER, unless he's versatille enough to play guard also.

I like this pick!

How many SACKS does he have?
I want PREESSURE from our D.E.'s, enough of the Spears type players, I see onyl 4 Q.B. hurries, tha'ts not what I want from our D.E.'s, I want a 290 pond D.T. who gets pressure like a La'Roi Glover type then move him to our 3-4 D.E. spot.

Dont' want to draft any W.R. in this draft, there's no point IMO, we got our top 4 locked up, and I dont' mind sticking with Stanback as our #5 guy to see him develop one more year.

don't like him.

sounds good, I like taking risks on players in late rounds since the probability of making our current roster is slim.

I LOVE THIS PICK, Bigf body for us to backup raji if we move Ratliff to D.E. and cut Tank.

Overall not bad, I think if you replace the Center with a versatile lineman who can play all 4 line positions it would be better, maybe a guard like Lois Vasquez instead of your center and maybe switch your W.R. to O.T. Dallas Reynolds and you'd have a great draft IMO.
We think alike, check out my mock,basically the same positions and most of the smae players just tweaked a bit.
http://cowboyszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134950
how come you don't like graham harrell ?

ThatsmyQB

Benched
Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2414874 said:
how come you don't like graham harrell ?

I just dont' think he's gonna be a good enough pro with as much upside as I like, if I'm picking a player late in the draft, I want someone with huge upside instead of just someone who I see as a career backup AT BEST.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
ThatsmyQB;2415044 said:
I just dont' think he's gonna be a good enough pro with as much upside as I like, if I'm picking a player late in the draft, I want someone with huge upside instead of just someone who I see as a career backup AT BEST.

we have our franchise QB wouldn't any QB we bring in be a career back up?

ThatsmyQB

Benched
Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2415086 said:

DaBoys4Life;2415086 said:

Being our backup and being a career backup Q.B. prospect are 2 different things.
I wanted Byron Leftwich instead of Brad Johnosn this off season, Leftwich isnt' a career backup, he's someone who Could start for some team and do O.K., not great, but O.K. as a starter, but he'd be VERY VALUABLE to your team as a backup, where as someone else is a career backup only like a Brooks bollinger, or that fat guy the Giants used to have, you get the point I think, I don't want to draft someone whose UPSIDE is tapped out as best possible scenario he's a good backup, I know what you mean, he'll be our backup and if he's a good backup isn't that what you want, but I think you get my point that I want a Q.B. that could be our backup but if he came in and played for us, his potential could be that of a starter and even get trade bait for him or at worst case scenario, have a top backup who could potentially start for other teams.

Basically, I want someone with more POTENTIAL to be a starter in this league to be our backup, if that makes any sense.

I'd want a John Kitna, Leftwich, Culpepper type Vet to be our backup to Romo while grooming a 3rd Q.B., and if that's the course we're going to be going, why groom a 3rd Q.B. to be AT BEST our backup?
Why not groom a Romo type Q.B. who needs a few years of seasoning, but if he pans out, we got ourselves a gem instead of a guy like say Ken dorsey, a guy who you know that no matter how much he progresses, he just will never be a starter in this league.

So, I would like someone to be our backup (3rd string behind a good vet) who can one day groom into a good starter, not draft someone who we can groom to someday be our BACKUP, make sense?

cowboysfan31

Reaction score
Looks like everybody likes Raji and Pegues for the most part.

As far as Eric Wood goes, he is not just a pure C. He is athletic enough to play pretty much anywhere on the line. He played TE as a Junior in HS, before switching to OL where he played both G and T. He was recruited to Louisville as a T, but ended up moving to to C. From reading different opinions and watching him play, he's got pretty much everything you could want. He loves to watch film and is always well prepared for games, he's got great feet, and he's mean.

Always injured is an unfair characterization of Brinkley IMO. He started his first 17 games with South Carolina (he has only been there since 2006) before tearing his ACL in 2007. He has started all 10 of his team's games this season. He isn't going to win any foot races, but at 6'2" 275lbs he is an excellent athlete and a rock in the middle of the defense. He is playing a little heavy IMO, and if he could play around 260-265 for us I think he could be a freak in our D.

The 5th round is probably about right for Demonte Bolden. When the combine rolls around, he will probably run the 40 in the high 4.8's or low 4.9's which is pretty good for a guy that is 290lbs. The whole Tennessee program is a mess, but Bolden has really come on the last few games. I think he could be a real sleeper in the draft that could explode.

Anytime there is a WR that is 6'6" 227lbs with production like he has is there in the 5th round, I think it's worth a flier. If he runs under a 4.5 40 and he's there, it's a steal. Even if he runs a 4.55 or 4.6, I think he's worth a flier. Stanback is fast, but he doesn't really look like a receiver out there IMO. Amendola is on the practice squad for a reason. He has to come to training camp like everybody else and try to earn a spot. T.O. is aging, Crayton's hands used to be gold but here lately they aren't as reliable and his mouth is a liability at times too, another young WR wouldn't be a bad thing IMO.

With Graham Harrell, I drafted him knowing that there really isn't much upside there. That isn't a bad thing though because I think that with Harrell you know what you're getting and you and getting someone that could be our backup tomorrow. He is very intelligent and would always be prepared to enter a game. He is also able to read defenses and put the ball where it needs to be, which is valuable for a backup. Size isn't an issue because Romo is 6'2" 224lbs and Harrell is 6'3" 205lbs. Harrell doesn't have the strongest arm around, but it is strong enough to get the ball to the sidelines and work all of the crossing routes in our offense. He also doesn't turn the balll over very much. Don't really know what else you could ask for from a backup.

Mainor in the 7th round was drafted because he plays at a position where it is probably easiest to make this team. If he can come back from his injury in time for the minicamps and training camp to his pre-injury form, he can be a beast on special teams and on defense. Before his injury he was on a real hot streak and he was projected as high as the 2nd-3rd round, so getting him here could be like striking gold.

Our defensive line really lacks those massive bodies that teams have to run around because they can't move them. Ratliff is a heck of a player, but his explosiveness belongs at DE where he can truely shine. Tank is a FA, and I don't want him back. He plays to high and gets turned right out of plays and his conditioning leaves alot to be desired. He pretty much follows the philosophy of my last pick in the sense that he was drafted because I feel he is the best player at a position that I feel could possibly have the quickest impact for us.

I didn't draft more backup OL because I don't feel anybody in this draft could come in and beat any backups that we currently have. Adams, Gurode, and Davis just got their contracts, and Columbo should be getting his this year. Between Kosier and Holland, one of them should provide a quality LG and the other will be a veteran backup for both G spots. Wood can backup the C spot and is flexible enough to play either G spot as well. Free has looked good in the preseason though he hasn't gotten a chance to show what he can do in the regular season. Marten sounds like he could be a backup at RT or inside at G too if need be. I don't really see a need for any more young projects here. If we were to take another player to camp with us on the OL, I would like it to be a proven veteran who maybe isn't good enough to be a full time starter anymore but someone who could be good for short periods of time for us. Our track record with young OL doesn't exactly lead me to rely on anything we draft.