Updated FOX mock draft

AmishCowboy

if you ain't first, you're last
Reaction score
masomenos85;2038406 said:
I'd be more upset about Jenkins at 22 than Manningham at 28.
Why, Jenkins is one of the top rated CB's and I heard Mayock say he's the one whose most ready to start right now.

masomenos

Less is more
Reaction score
AmishCowboy;2038427 said:
Why, Jenkins is one of the top rated CB's and I heard Mayock say he's the one whose most ready to start right now.

I actually have Jenkins rated pretty low. He gave up a large percentage of catches this past season and is noted on a number of draft sites as lacking in ball skills, sometimes locates the ball too late, being inconsistent, and lacking instincts. Those are all huge things for me when I look at a CB. I wish I had all my numbers on Jenkins so I could give a more statistical basis for this, but my laptop got stolen and I never backed up my spreadsheets with all the data and I just don't have the numbers anymore. I think with Jenkins you have a player who's stock has risen so highly because of his athleticism while his actual production and ability may be getting overlooked.

A lot of people like him, but that's just how I evaluate him.

AmishCowboy

if you ain't first, you're last
Reaction score
The one who looks a bit overated is DRC, I just saw the TSN Draft Pub that Compares him to Andre Woolfolk from a Couple of years ago, saying that People overlook his Flaws because of his Combine numbers and a good Senior Bowl.

masomenos

Less is more
Reaction score
AmishCowboy;2038501 said:
The one who looks a bit overated is DRC, I just saw the TSN Draft Pub that Compares him to Andre Woolfolk from a Couple of years ago, saying that People overlook his Flaws because of his Combine numbers and a good Senior Bowl.

The difference I see in Cromartie and Jenkins is that Cromartie was actually pretty reliable in college. Yes he did play against some lower competition but Jenkins wasn't constantly going against top notch talent either. I don't think that the Senior Bowl performance completely justifies all the hype around Cromartie, but I do think he's a better prospect than Jenkins. Better ball skills, instincts and production give Cromartie an edge in my book. I think a lot of the CBs in this class are overrated, but the ones I would bank on in the first would be Cromartie, Talib and Cason, and I'd be willing to put a strong bet on Terrence Wheatley as a sleeper pick.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
masomenos85;2038531 said:
The difference I see in Cromartie and Jenkins is that Cromartie was actually pretty reliable in college. Yes he did play against some lower competition but Jenkins wasn't constantly going against top notch talent either. I don't think that the Senior Bowl performance completely justifies all the hype around Cromartie, but I do think he's a better prospect than Jenkins. Better ball skills, instincts and production give Cromartie an edge in my book. I think a lot of the CBs in this class are overrated, but the ones I would bank on in the first would be Cromartie, Talib and Cason, and I'd be willing to put a strong bet on Terrence Wheatley as a sleeper pick.

I agree with Wheatley, but Talib is a donkey.

While I don't think Jenkins will be an all-pro, he is going to be better than average and should be a good corner for a long time....as long as he keeps his head on straight and focuses on getting better. The skill set is defintely there.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
sago1;2037779 said:
I know Chris Johnson has speed and at one point thought he would be our "Wow" player but he's got more flaws then I'd like. Besides he's doesn't block so he'd see lot less playing time. No way we leave him in on passing plays, cause he couldn't block for Romo -- something MBIII does well & so did Julius Jones. In fact MBIII didn't play much his rookie year because he couldn't block well enough/pick up the blitz.

[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2]"Right away, your kickoff return guy is in place. He makes a team on that alone. ... He's a guy that's physical enough to take on a tackler, but when he gets into the open field he can take it to the house. He's probably not an everydown guy yet. ... He's caught touchdown passes down the middle. He's caught swing passes and beat guys one-on-one. He's caught option routes. He's done a lot of things that most running backs have not. He can go out and play in the slot or line up in the backfield. ... You talk about a good marriage [with Barber]. He could spell him, but you could put them both in the game at the same time. ... We never used him back there [on punt returns]. I don't think it's because he couldn't do it. It's just because we were asking him to do so much. ... Because of his size, he's not going to be a masher [as a blocker]. But in terms of assignments and recognizing blitzes, he's one of the brightest kids that I've ever been around that's a top-line running back. In three years, I think he only had two blown assignments. And he'll stick his nose in there. What would be something he'd have to work on? It would probably be the physical side of blocking. He's got the mental part down. ... His senior year, he was a different running back. Early on in his career, he did not make people miss like you'd think he would. But he's on tape his senior year making a lot of real good players miss. ... He'll hit and spin. He's not a truck. - ECU CO-OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR STEVE SHANKWEILER on Chris Johnson, Tim MacMahon, Dallas Morning News

thats his coach talking about him you seem to be a little mis informed about CJ but it's cool a lot of ppl are.

[/SIZE][/FONT]

masomenos

Less is more
Reaction score
Oh_Canada;2038618 said:
I agree with Wheatley, but Talib is a donkey.

While I don't think Jenkins will be an all-pro, he is going to be better than average and should be a good corner for a long time....as long as he keeps his head on straight and focuses on getting better. The skill set is defintely there.

See I'm not sure that the skill set really is there for Jenkins beyond general athleticism. As someone who didn't have good recognition skills in college I think he'll face a very steep learning curve in the NFL and will not be able to rely simply on his athletic ability to bail him out. Personally I wouldn't expect him to make a real impact for about 4 years or so, and even at that point I don't think he'll be anything beyond an above average player.

Talib is kind of the opposite of Jenkins in my eyes. A player who does have terrific instincts and ball skills and was very productive against top competition. All Talib needs to do is learn to play within his abilities and he can be just as much of a defensive force in the NFL as he was in college.

DFWJC

Reaction score
sago1;2037779 said:
I know Chris Johnson has speed and at one point thought he would be our "Wow" player but he's got more flaws then I'd like. Besides he's doesn't block so he'd see lot less playing time. No way we leave him in on passing plays, cause he couldn't block for Romo -- something MBIII does well & so did Julius Jones. In fact MBIII didn't play much his rookie year because he couldn't block well enough/pick up the blitz.

You may want to re-think that. For sure you would have Johnson in on passing downs, but he would attacking the defense 5 (10?) times more than blocking. You don't pick an RB with pass catching skills like that and not use him. Plus...and this is important...his coach said he missed only TWO blocking assignments in 3 years in college. He will stick his nose in there, he's just not someone you would ever use as a lead blocker.

However, I probably would not take CJ in Rd 1...just seems too high to me.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Hostile;2037608 said:
I wouldn't be if we got him at 61, but at 28, I don't care for it.

I'd go with that too...although I may prefer one of the other WRs if possible. I mostly only saw Manningham catching the deep ball and not much else. I think a guy with his size and with only average or below average speed needs to be more of a technition. It does say something for Chad Henning at QB though.