Updated: Niners fire Nolan per Mort (Singeltary taking over)

JBS

Reaction score
Barring a dramatic change of course, the San Francisco 49ers plan to fire head coach Mike Nolan after the team's game against Seattle on Sunday, a source told ESPN's Michael Smith on Monday.

Next week is the 49ers' bye week. Nolan is expected to be replaced by assistant head coach Mike Singletary. When reached by ESPN, a 49ers spokesman said: "We don't respond to speculation. We are focused on Seattle."

Nolan, 49, is in his fourth season with the Niners, posting an 18-37 record. San Francisco is 2-5 this season and has lost four in a row. The 49ers are 23rd in both offense and defense in the league.

The 49ers have had five straight losing seasons and are 4-12, 7-9 and 5-11 in three full seasons under Nolan, who was retained after last season, which saw Scot McCloughan, their top personnel executive, formally annointed as general manager with a contract extension and a raise.

Nolan previously had the final say on all football decisions. He and McCloughan have made joint decisions on personnel issues, but McCloughan has had the final say.

"I will remain the one voice in this organization, and the face," Nolan said at the conclusion of the 2007 season. "I don't believe it will change at all. The important thing is that we will maintain the relationship."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3654269

Main reason why I posted this was because Singeltary is rumored to be taking over and he was a name I did not see mentioned that I think could be a good fit here. He could probably get this defense in gear.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
That's weird. If you've already decided, why not fire him now?

Too bad Greg Manusky couldn't get fired from there.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2360153 said:
That's weird. If you've already decided, why not fire him now?

It is b/c they have a bye after that and want to make the move then.

I've said it before -- Singletary is a guy I really like as a HC - he's never going to be the X and 0 guy -- he didn't cut his teeth as an assistant long enough - but he's a good motivational guy. With Martz and Manusky as coordinators, he'll have good support

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
so much for dressing for success by wearing a suit on the sideline.

way to honour your dad, getting your butt canned.

juck

Reaction score
Hostile;2360638 said:

Maybe this should go in the nflzone since u moved my legit thread about a cowboy player.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
juckie;2360650 said:
Maybe this should go in the nflzone since u moved my legit thread about a cowboy player.
What are you talking about?

ddh33

Reaction score
I hate to say this because I think there is a lot of season left, but if things don't turn around in Dallas soon, this is a guy who might be the D Coordinator next year.

Joe Realist

No Kool-Aid here!
Reaction score
This means we will lose to them too as they will be better, ala Rams, with the new coach!

RESIN8

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure after the smoke settles the York's will once again make an attempt at Pete Carroll. He was the first choice ahead of Mike Nolan after Erickson got fired. Now that they are somewhat competitive and have a possible stadium deal in the works. Not to mention the York's are finally spending money and would end up giving Pete complete control. I could see Pete giving this some serious thought.

Carroll has ties to the organization and the SF Bay Area. Unlike any of the other jobs that were offered before.

VThokie7

Reaction score
Mike Nolan was a good DC in Baltimore while they ran the 3-4.

If we are lucky maybe Nolan, Crennel, and even Lewis enter the Defensive coordinator market for our next head coach.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
VThokie7;2360803 said:
Mike Nolan was a good DC in Baltimore while they ran the 3-4.

If we are lucky maybe Nolan, Crennel, and even Lewis enter the Defensive coordinator market for our next head coach.

not sure any of those really peel my banana