News: Updates on changes in DFW Sports Radio taking place

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Per Richie Whitt

*I've written a couple times that it'd make sense for Cumulus to just buy out the contract of Randy Galloway and, sure enough, the legendary media icon's days are numbered. His last day on the radio will be the day The Ticket officially takes over 103.3 FM ESPN. That could be as soon as Friday or as far out as a month from now, as the FCC has initially rejected The Ticket's selling of its 104.1 FM signal. Galloway's contract runs through Dec. 31, but the company that now owns The Ticket and runs ESPN has decided it's time to put him out to pasture. And certainly Galloway - who has been a print fixture in the Metroplex since 1966 - won't mind getting paid three months for not doing radio for bosses he's battled against for three decades. Though the station is upticking in the ratings, the expected cuts at ESPN are now beginning. Out as of last week - but also not official until the switch is approved - are program director Tom Lee, general manager Pete Dits and on-air talent like Kelly Webster and Landry Locker. Filling Galloway's big boots won't be easy. I'm told names being kicked around to take his chair include The Ticket's Norm Hitzges, Channel 8's Dale Hansen and Channel 11's Steve Dennis. Also told that Galloway sidekick Matt Mosley's job is safe, awaiting a new partner. Not that Dennis - or anyone else - can come in and dent The Hardline's dynasty, but he's opinionated, educated and not afraid to ask a tough question nor shy away from offering a unique view. I worked alongside Galloway at the Star-Telegram, competed against him at 105.3 The Fan and played with him at various horse tracks around the country. Personally, I'll miss him.

http://www.dfwsportatorium.com/2013/09/whitts-end-92313.html

erod

Reaction score
The Fan is going through a complete upheaval, getting rid of no-talent airbags like Richie Whitt, Greg Williams, Mark Elfenbein, Jane Slater, and others. Unfortunately for them, the new blood has no talent either, and they're trying to force the Ticket imposters knows as Ben and Skin, and that will fail, too. Having the Cowboys games is the only thing keeping that joke afloat.

The Ticket just won the Marconi award for best sports station in the nation, which is amazing considering they are an AM station. I suspect they'll swap signals with ESPN, now that they run it, and use the more powerful signal to expand their range. They already get a huge internet audience, too.

Galloway is a local treasure, but he's been mailing in the same show for years now. He puts almost nothing into it. Hitzges is the one left that actually tries to do a good job, which he does.

A name that should be considered WAY over Hansen in Mike Doocy, who is good on the radio. As TV news sports continues to dwindle to nothing, I'd bet he'd like to make the full jump over eventually anyway. Hanson is a cartoon anymore, not to be taken seriously.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Oh gosh. Are they tottally trying to tank the station?

Norm? Dale Hansen? Steve Dennis? hahahaha seriously?

I would take a risk on Landry Locker before I went to those guys.

Why don't we just get Norm and Gosselin on there.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Hopefully the competition brings positive change.
The Ticket mails in as many shows as Galloway.
And none of those guys work as hard as Ben and Skin but those guys are struggling for a foothold until basketball season. .

Love BaDD radio and wish they would have moved if only to open up the airwaves for more talent.
They need a prime slot not lunch time.

I hope someone brings in another Bob Sturm from parts unknown.
The locals have been bad and the Ticket 2nd tier talent getting promoted has largely been awful.

Wonder if Galloway ends up on the Fan. KC Masterpiece is certainly not a long term solution.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Oh gosh. Are they tottally trying to tank the station?

Norm? Dale Hansen? Steve Dennis? hahahaha seriously?

I would take a risk on Landry Locker before I went to those guys.

Why don't we just get Norm and Gosselin on there.

Exactly. Don't they remember when Dennis was on with JFE in the morning? That show did terrible ratings.

Why would they take Galloway off the air when he's the only one on that station people listen to? Especially when he only has a few more months before his contract runs out anyway? Strange.