Upgrade to XP Help.

Encore

Never Enough
Reaction score
Hello,

My GF gave me her Laptop to upgrade from Windows 2000(Yuck) to XP Pro.

She gave me the upgrade disc and told me to install it. Well, I did, but now when I boot up it's asking me to choose which OS I want. Win 2000 or XP. How can I delete Win2000 Off.

Also, How can I do so where I do a clean re-install cause I'd like nothing on there and re-install XP Pro if it's possible with this upgrade disc.

THANKS

Encore

Never Enough
Reaction score
If Possible, Could some please help. Need to know ASAP.

Thanks

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
You cant install a full version of XP with an upgrade disk.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
win2k IS off your machine. it's not likely you put both OS's on the laptop. what you're seeing is a file called the BOOT.INI file that's a hidden/system file in your root directory. this file tells the boot process what's up on the system and sometimes for whatever reason an upgrade will not modify the ini file to remove the reference to the old OS.

it's a hidden system file you really don't want to mess with unless you know *exactly* what you're doing (tell folders to show hidden files, remove the attributes from the boot.ini file, edit it in notepad, look for reference to 2000 file and the XP OS, note they're both the same - delete ONLY 2k reference - there, if you can do that, you're safe. if you have to ask how to do ANY of this - get help)

KEEP IN MIND this is just a boot option. the OS isn't there and it's not hurting anything now except making you hit enter or wait the what, 24 seconds?

help?

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Dallas said:
You cant install a full version of XP with an upgrade disk.

yes you can.

the only difference between an upgrade and a full copy of XP is the need to validate a previous version of the OS before "upgrading".

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
So when the upgrade CD scans for a prior version of Windows (like it does) how do you fool it if you dont have this prior version?

P.S.

When I said full install of XP. I just thought folks would take it as a CLEAN install. Which you cannot do.

Encore

Never Enough
Reaction score
It worked.

What I did was set the bios to load up the cdrom first.

I was able to delete partition and create one and put the OS in.

All is working.

Thanks

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
Encore said:
It worked.

What I did was set the bios to load up the cdrom first.

I was able to delete partition and create one and put the OS in.

All is working.

Thanks

Good to hear - sucks working on PC's and Windows.

Go Penguin or Sun. :D

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
so, instead of editing a read only file to remove a line, you reformatted and reinstalled?

heh, at times when i've done this to some drives, the OS would *still* put both references in the boot.ini - it was wild but about 30 seconds to fix. i usually ignore it till i have other things to do and get many things done at once.

glad the problem is taken care of, though!

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Dallas said:
So when the upgrade CD scans for a prior version of Windows (like it does) how do you fool it if you dont have this prior version?

P.S.

When I said full install of XP. I just thought folks would take it as a CLEAN install. Which you cannot do.

um...yes you can.

full install cd. if there's a previous version of windows on the machine it will tell you to start over and reformat the drive. the full install cd won't install over a previous version of the OS.

upgrade cd. same cd/code as full install, but will validate your OS either by looking on the drive and going "THERE IT IS!" or by asking you to put in a win98 or higher cd to show previous ownership. once done, you can install clean, or upgrade - the cd doesn't care. i fdisk and reformat all the time with upgrade disks for clean installs.

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
iceberg said:
um...yes you can.

full install cd. if there's a previous version of windows on the machine it will tell you to start over and reformat the drive. the full install cd won't install over a previous version of the OS.

upgrade cd. same cd/code as full install, but will validate your OS either by looking on the drive and going "THERE IT IS!" or by asking you to put in a win98 or higher cd to show previous ownership. once done, you can install clean, or upgrade - the cd doesn't care. i fdisk and reformat all the time with upgrade disks for clean installs.

You windows people crack me up. Leave it to MS to allow folks to do full installs from an UPGRADE CD. Ha!!

Talk about losing $$. Thats far to easy to bypass.

Ill stick to my Solaris and Linux thank you very much.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
You can do a full install from an upgrade cd on a clean hard drive. When you boot up with the upgrade cd the install will ask for your old os cd and once it reads it you can do a full install. MS isn't losing money. You still have to pay for the upgrade and have a full copy of the old os. As for linux been there done that and you can keep it....jmo

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Dallas said:
You windows people crack me up. Leave it to MS to allow folks to do full installs from an UPGRADE CD. Ha!!

Talk about losing $$. Thats far to easy to bypass.

Ill stick to my Solaris and Linux thank you very much.

you do that. this is for LICENSING FEES.

and it's smart to do it this way or you'd have to support (2) code trees. now consider the hotfixes and services packs and security patches - you wanna test 2 code trees?

chill out man. it's a computer, not religion.

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
iceberg said:
you do that. this is for LICENSING FEES.

and it's smart to do it this way or you'd have to support (2) code trees. now consider the hotfixes and services packs and security patches - you wanna test 2 code trees?

chill out man. it's a computer, not religion.

ZZZZZZz

Relax Icefart!

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Dallas said:
ZZZZZZz

Relax Icefart!

icefart? look man, i just came in to try and help people out, why do you have to make that a bad thing?

Dawgs0916

Will the Thrill
Reaction score
Is this the same guy who was making fun of someones ethniticity? Something like ying yang or somethin? I dunno i may be wrong here.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
daboysin06 said:
Is this the same guy who was making fun of someones ethniticity? Something like ying yang or somethin? I dunno i may be wrong here.

good god. all i wanted to do was try to help people with computer problems and now this crap comes along.

ya'll can keep it then.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Arguing over how to install windows....what is the world coming to these days. :(

Encore

Never Enough
Reaction score
Sorry to see this thread turn into this.

Thanks for the help everyone.

It worked and she's happy.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
ain't nothing on you man. i just had a bad night and let someone get to me.