Video: Urban, Payton, McCarthy as next coach

yimyammer

Reaction score
I think you clearly have. Jones and Payton have actually maintained a close relationship while he's coached the Saints. Make no mistake that Jones would hire him in a heartbeat if it were possible.

I'm not trying to argue with you but how do you know this?

Do you have any direct evidence, like jeri talking about it himself you can post vs reporters/fan conjecture?

please don't mistake my tone, I'm just trying to get a handle on where this is coming from and if its so obvious, surely jeri is on record in multiple places that can be linked here

thx

Reaction score
I think Meyer is waiting for an offer as soon as Dallas is eliminated this season. I’d say he’s hired within two days of the end of our season.
The Rooney Rule will slow down this process significantly.

Meyer may very well be the guy in the end. But there is a process mandated by the NFL that has to be met. Rubber stamps are not allowed unless the hire is a minority candidate.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm not trying to argue with you but how do you know this?

Do you have any direct evidence, like jeri talking about it himself you can post vs reporters/fan conjecture?

please don't mistake my tone, I'm just trying to get a handle on where this is coming from and if its so obvious, surely jeri is on record in multiple places that can be linked here

thx

google sean payton jerry jones cowboys.

There's a ton of stuff out there to read about it. And plenty just last year. I firmly believe that Jones and the Cowboys looked into it and would have replaced Garrett then if they could have gotten Payton.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Why does anyone think Payton would leave the Saints or want to go into a situation where he has significantly less control than in his current job?

Not to mention the 4 year, $45 million extension he just got this season.

Reaction score
they’ll interview Richard real quick
So they are going to fire Richard, then interview him? Or interview him first, then fire him?

The interview has to appear legit. Rivera might be the guy to meet the rule. But even if you interview him on Monday and hire Meyer on Tuesday, I'm not sure that would pass the smell test according to the NFL.

I perfectly fine with Meyer being hired. But I don't want the team to lose draft picks because the process was deemed illegitimite by Goodell and his minions.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Again.. Coaches are ego maniacs and this is the most valuable franchise in all of sports.

Dallas can get anyone they want. The problem is Jerry wants a guy he can control and that is thankful to him for having this job like Jason Garrett.
And, egomaniacs want to control things. And egomaniacs want to be revered. And egomaniacs want to win to further affirm their value. Those things are all more available to Payton by staying in New Orleans. On the other hand, working for an owner that blatantly undermines his authority does nothing for the ego.

As for the Cowboys being able to get anyone they want, that's not true of an NFL head coach that is currently under contract with another team - at least not without working out something with that other team. What do you think that would take? The Cowboys giving up their next two 1st round draft picks? Maybe a few other early to middle round picks thrown in? Do we really think Jerry would do that?

Last edited:

quickccc

Reaction score
Some team is going to hire Mike McCarthy on as a HC very soon.
I think He’s just awaiting right team right situation, (and right QB?)

Great offensive mind and Xo’s and O’s mind pass designer, but is it more directed to a pocket pass game, would he be too much of a pass happy frenzy, would
his type of game best utilize Dak's occasional run skills (ala RPO) .. and I’d wonder about how much emphasis he would put in the zeke run game.

Plus I thought McCarthy was way too late and too lackadaisal in responding and addressing the defense - being too long content with awful DC's such as Don Capers for years, years.

A really good HC cannot just be content on focusing one area of his team, and relying on one person (coordinator) to finally fix the defense.
He has to oversee the entire team and make all those areas accountable.

Sandyf

Reaction score
The simple fact is, the next coach will be a guy that does what Jerry Jones wants and not question Jerry Jones, i.e. a puppet. So I would say forget any potential good coach as in Lincoln Riley, Urban Myers, OC from Clemson, McCarthy or a Sean Payton (as if that would happen). Until Jerry lets the team have a real GM and a head coach that makes his own decisions then we will be in the same rut. Remember Jimmy Johnson, he did it his way and kept Jerry out of the locker room. Whether Jerry likes it or not, that is the best way to run a team.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
So they are going to fire Richard, then interview him? Or interview him first, then fire him?

The interview has to appear legit. Rivera might be the guy to meet the rule. But even if you interview him on Monday and hire Meyer on Tuesday, I'm not sure that would pass the smell test according to the NFL.

I perfectly fine with Meyer being hired. But I don't want the team to lose draft picks because the process was deemed illegitimite by Goodell and his minions.

I think you Interview, you make a decision, you announce the decision and then it's up to the new HC to conduct interviews for staff and make decisions.

Reaction score
I think you Interview, you make a decision, you announce the decision and then it's up to the new HC to conduct interviews for staff and make decisions.
In a perfect world that's how it should be done.

But we are not in a perfect world. This is Jerry's world.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
In a perfect world that's how it should be done.

But we are not in a perfect world. This is Jerry's world.

Jerry's world, perfect world, doesn't matter cause it doesn't change anything. Candidates will be interviewed. A decision will be made and announced. Regardless of who actually is picked as new HC and who is actually picking the staff, this is exactly what will be said and so there is no issue with the NFL or Richard. He has a contract so he will either be extended, allowed to depart or be bought out. No issue with NFL.

IslandCowboy

Reaction score
Sean Payton will never leave the Saints. Especially not to be Jerry's puppet.