US Gold Medalist Kelly Catlin Found Dead At 23/Suicide

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
I'm sure there are a myriad of reasons, but I tend to think that unrealistic expectations play a big part in many people's unhappiness with their life.
So true. Unfortunately, the list of reasons are innumerable.

Last edited:

SlammedZero

Reaction score
Don't know this person's circumstances to be able render a judgement in her case specifically, but given the amount of unhappiness that's prevalent among young people, I wonder if the ubiquity of media (social and otherwise) is creating unrealistic expectations about life.

They're inundated with imagery of other people living in wealth, excitement and happiness; and, in their minds, their lives may not measure up. What many young people don't understand is that they're only seeing what other people want them to see. Most of what they see is an illusion, because its either a complete fabrication or its only the "highlights" of other peoples' lives.

Fantastic post!!

nobody

Reaction score
Not everyone with depression (treated or untreated) attempts suicide. Maybe the numbers haven't gone up, but awareness has. After all, families used to do anything to hide the fact that a person in the family committed suicide, as it was a stigma (like depression has been thought of for so long)

rags747

Reaction score
It could be numerous of reasons. IMO, the key reason for the continuing rise in depressive illness is that drugs do not necessarily cure the patient, and other therapies that can make the crucial difference are usually not in sufficient supply.

Other reasons for the continuing rise is an aging population of 60 to 74 year olds who are more likely to suffer than other age groups, with rising stress and isolation.

What are your thoughts on why folks are more depressed today than 20 years ago?
So so many factors are different today than 25 years ago, probably a whole concoction of reasons why. Fortunately I am an individual that has never been depressed or if I have it has been extremely short lived as in maybe a couple of hours if that. I had a wonderful fantastic girl that I dated strong for 3 years, she was 22 and I was 27. Unfortunately she had many “issues”, depression being one of them...Sadly she never got over it as she passed when she was 53. I do not envy anyone that has to live with depression on a regular basis.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
So so many factors are different today than 25 years ago, probably a whole concoction of reasons why. Fortunately I am an individual that has never been depressed or if I have it has been extremely short lived as in maybe a couple of hours if that. I had a wonderful fantastic girl that I dated strong for 3 years, she was 22 and I was 27. Unfortunately she had many “issues”, depression being one of them...Sadly she never got over it as she passed when she was 53. I do not envy anyone that has to live with depression on a regular basis.
I'm so very sorry for your loss. :(

408Cowboy

Reaction score
Ok so if you believe it is primarily based on depression why are people more depressed today than 20 years ago?
We have a over medicated society. There are pills for everything these days. Doctors are more than happy to prescribe whatever the pharmaceutical rep is pushing to get that nice bonus. Plenty of people that I know who have taken any kind of antidepressant have nothing positive to say about the experience. They feel emotionless most of the time if they're lucky. If they're not they feel more like dying. So many people on those things without counseling to address the source of their depression because they can't afford it. My best friend overdosed himself on them because he couldn't take it anymore. I had gone to counseling sessions with him whenever he asked me to. And I clearly remember him saying he never thought about suicide until after he started taking those damn things. So they prescribed him a different type. Then another. Then it was too late. Not everyone has a problem pills can fix.

I'm sure there are many more reasons but that's my experience.

rags747

Reaction score
Nothing better than hitting the gym on a daily basis, the body is the temple of the mind. Pushing/Pulling metal weights every day is a very worthwhile endeavor and it feels fantastic! Would most definitely help with all of the Fat people in todays society.