News: USA Today: Cowboys' new 7-OL package shows big creativity, offers jumbo versatility

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
“A lot of beef on the field,” guard Zack Martin commented after the Cowboys’ 20-16 win before revealing the grouping’s instant-hit code name. “‘Hulk package’ is what we call it. It’s great to get those big guys on the field, and we had some good plays out of it tonight.”

“We have a ton of talent on the offensive line,” Moore told reporters on Monday. “Like all the other positions, you’re trying to find opportunities to get guys involved in the game plan. L.C. was coming back: obviously, he hadn’t been a part of it for a number of weeks. So we felt like if he wasn’t going to be the right tackle, that’s a guy you still want on the field. So it kind of turned into a brainstorm opportunity there. Mac’s been doing a phenomenal job in the backfield- McGovern, that is; why not throw another guy back there?”

Read the rest: https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/20...hows-big-creativity-offers-jumbo-versatility/

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
The potential for the Hulk formation is fairly deep. Just the idea of motioning one of them to get essentially a running start at the point of attack, with the other following him is exciting. But a Moore offshoot might be motion to the outside of the tackle and set. Then motion the other, who slips off the DE and heads into an open spot during the goal
line as the receivers run a crossing away from the opening. (If that is clear)

Or the Refrigerator Perry dive play with a 300+ pound lead blocker.

This seems kind of sand lot, but how cool is this potential?

nalam

The realist
Reaction score

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
About 2000 lbs of beef blocking for you, I love it.

Reactions: BAT

glimmerman

Reaction score
Sure, but they'll just double-cover your 3 remaining eligible receivers until you prove you're willing to throw to one of these guys.
Lol. They chase them down field and slip McGovern out for a toss or screen or dump off. Let him get a head of steam and try to tackle him if your a corner. Or Collins. Lol. May not work but would love to see the faces.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
Why not use it on the goal line or 4th and 1?

I gots the feeling that they will practice more plays off of this formation and that it will be used sometimes in those situations. Two linemen leading a back with a five yard head of steam into the hole would be awesome. KM will come up with other creative plays off this i am sure. Remember these guys could also be eligible receivers and at the goal line especially.

rags747

Reaction score
Next up Parsons in the backfield as part of the Hulk pkg!

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
“A lot of beef on the field,” guard Zack Martin commented after the Cowboys’ 20-16 win before revealing the grouping’s instant-hit code name. “‘Hulk package’ is what we call it. It’s great to get those big guys on the field, and we had some good plays out of it tonight.”

“We have a ton of talent on the offensive line,” Moore told reporters on Monday. “Like all the other positions, you’re trying to find opportunities to get guys involved in the game plan. L.C. was coming back: obviously, he hadn’t been a part of it for a number of weeks. So we felt like if he wasn’t going to be the right tackle, that’s a guy you still want on the field. So it kind of turned into a brainstorm opportunity there. Mac’s been doing a phenomenal job in the backfield- McGovern, that is; why not throw another guy back there?”

Read the rest: https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/20...hows-big-creativity-offers-jumbo-versatility/

I love the “Hulk package”. Every time I see it on the field I’m reminded once again how glad I am that Jason Garrett doesn’t coach this team. Because his extreme caution would have never allowed it.

NotForLong

Reaction score
Sure, but they'll just double-cover your 3 remaining eligible receivers until you prove you're willing to throw to one of these guys.
Except the defense will be expecting a run . . . Play action could result in a huge play. . . especially on a 4th and 1

Reactions: BAT

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Except the defense will be expecting a run . . . Play action could result in a huge play. . . especially on a 4th and 1
Yeah, but you only have two guys out running routes in that case (the RB is back there for the play-action). The linebackers are free to bite on the run fake because there's nobody for them to cover anyway. Again, unless you're actually willing to throw to one of those extra linemen.