USA Today CowboysWire: Two FAs Dallas should consider adding to the trenches

_sturt_

Reaction score
https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/lists/cowboys-free-agency-bakhtiari-mone-2024-training-camp/

USATSI_19170308.jpg
USATSI_17483442.jpg

The logic the author presents for adding Bakhtiari is solid.

That said, the somewhat greater need, by virtue of the thinness at the position, is at 1-Tech.

He makes the case for Mone from SEA, but I'd argue that you really need someone who may be a bit older yet has been a starter even last season and significantly more snaps, Lawrence Guy, ex-Patriot. Only reason for prioritizing a guy like Mone would be if you were looking for a longer term option (ie, since he's about 5 yrs younger), but that's almost never the case when DAL goes free agent shopping, and shouldn't be here either. It's been pointed out before that Guy wasn't NE's NG in their 3-4, but he has the body frame to fill the 1-tech role in the 4-3. Former Man of the Year on that roster, and has such a story, having overcome dyslexia... would, like Bakhtiari, be a super addition both on the field and in the locker room.

_sturt_

Reaction score
If it makes people feel better, think of it this way...

Edoga is currently the most likely default if Guyton hasn't earned the starting job yet in Oxnard.

And.

Bakhtiari represents a potential upgrade over Edoga.

Me, I've not forgotten that we were told before the draft, and then again after the draft that Guyton has a huge upside, but that he's not yet ready... he's got some learning to do, and it might be a lot to expect that he'd just need training camp to get there.

Seems that some, if not many, seem to have just tossed that earlier objective report aside, intent on imagining the best case scenario as a virtual lock.

Edoga took every snap in OTAs and minicamp... as expected. That's all I've got to say about that.

So sign Bakhitiari, go to Oxnard, and may the best man win the starting job... and may the best man win the backup.

Reaction score
If it makes people feel better, think of it this way...

Edoga is currently the most likely default if Guyton hasn't earned the starting job yet in Oxnard.

And.

Bakhtiari represents a potential upgrade over Edoga.

Me, I've not forgotten that we were told before the draft, and then again after the draft that Guyton has a huge upside, but that he's not yet ready... he's got some learning to do, and it might be a lot to expect that he'd just need training camp to get there.

Seems that some, if not many, seem to have just tossed that earlier objective report aside, intent on imagining the best case scenario as a virtual lock.

Edoga took every snap in OTAs and minicamp... as expected. That's all I've got to say about that.

So sign Bakhitiari, go to Oxnard, and may the best man win the starting job... and may the best man win the backup.
I agree, counting on Guyton to exceed expectations like Tyler would be foolish, if they're actually planning on trying to contend of course,,, I'm not sure that's what they're doing though.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
I agree, counting on Guyton to exceed expectations like Tyler would be foolish, if they're actually planning on trying to contend of course,,, I'm not sure that's what they're doing though.
Bakhtiari has played 13 games in the past three years. If Guyton isn't ready they will just have Smith play LT which makes way more sense than signing a guy that can't stay healthy.

_sturt_

Reaction score
Bakhtiari has played 13 games in the past three years. If Guyton isn't ready they will just have Smith play LT which makes way more sense than signing a guy that can't stay healthy.
True, he played all of 2022 and very little of the season before and the season after.

It's a risk, insomuch as you're paying the guy what he's worth when he's completely healthy.

It's not a risk, insomuch as you're paying the guy what he's worth coming off his second significant injury in 3 seasons.

Seems to me the latter, not the former, probably would apply.

I mean, it's a legit debate... the younger guy with lesser talent but who has been generally available versus the older guy (still, 32 isn't that old for that position) who has a history of pro bowls but who has been generally unavailable of-late. Can't get upset with the rationale of Edoga, but if your docs assess Bakhtiari as all-systems-go, I much prefer the veteran who has been playoff tested.

Where I will strongly disagree with you is that they're at all inclined to play Smith at LT at this point. There is every signal so far that that is regarded as an emergency option at this point.

HungryLion

Reaction score
This makes sense. As I think it’s very possible they view Bass as the 6th best OL. So starting him at LG makes more sense than Edoga at LT.

_sturt_

Reaction score
This makes sense. As I think it’s very possible they view Bass as the 6th best OL. So starting him at LG makes more sense than Edoga at LT.
If they end up thinking Guyton's not going to be their starter at any point in the 2024 season, I agree.

But if they leave Oxnard persuaded he eventually will be, then hard to sell me that they're sudden so much more impressed with Bass over Edoga that they're going to make Smith move back and forth.

Chasing6

Reaction score
https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/lists/cowboys-free-agency-bakhtiari-mone-2024-training-camp/

USATSI_19170308.jpg
USATSI_17483442.jpg

The logic the author presents for adding Bakhtiari is solid.

That said, the somewhat greater need, by virtue of the thinness at the position, is at 1-Tech.

He makes the case for Mone from SEA, but I'd argue that you really need someone who may be a bit older yet has been a starter even last season and significantly more snaps, Lawrence Guy, ex-Patriot. Only reason for prioritizing a guy like Mone would be if you were looking for a longer term option (ie, since he's about 5 yrs younger), but that's almost never the case when DAL goes free agent shopping, and shouldn't be here either. It's been pointed out before that Guy wasn't NE's NG in their 3-4, but he has the body frame to fill the 1-tech role in the 4-3. Former Man of the Year on that roster, and has such a story, having overcome dyslexia... would, like Bakhtiari, be a super addition both on the field and in the locker room.
I would love for USA Today or anyone for that matter to make a list of GM's the Cowboys should consider.