USA Today: 'Marion the Barbarian'

Jon

Reaction score
By Any Name, 'Marion The Barbarian' A Vital Part Of Cowboys Offense,

IRVING, Texas — The moniker "MB3" served Marion Barber III pretty well for most of his life, at least through his rookie season with the Dallas Cowboys. Then Bill Parcells suggested Barber be known as "The Closer" because of his ability to end drives with touchdown runs.

Now teammate Terrell Owens has bestowed Barber with perhaps the most-fitting nickname: "Marion the Barbarian."

Anyone who has seen him run, and certainly anyone who has tried tackling him, understands the reference.

The 6-foot, 221-pound Barber is what coaches call a downhill runner, someone who picks up steam as he chugs along. He lowers his shoulders and runs over defenders instead of going around them - unless he first shoves them out of the way with a stiff arm.

But Barber is at his best in tight spaces, when he needs to bash open his own holes. Like near the goal line.

Barber led the NFC with 14 rushing touchdowns last season. Nine came from 3 yards or less. Only one covered more than nine yards.

"He kind of challenges people and dares not to be stopped," Owens said. "It's sort of barbaric. That's how I came up with the nickname."

Barber is tied for the NFL lead with three TDs this season. He had a pair Sunday in a victory over Miami: a typical 1-yarder burrowing through the line and a 40-yarder that was a career best by 12 yards.

Yet the play that sums up Barber's style was his very first carry against the Dolphins. It was only a five-yard gain around the right end, but it ended with his helmet being ripped off by trash-talking linebacker Joey Porter, drawing a personal foul.

Earlier in the week, Porter had said, "Barber thinks he's a tough guy sometimes. ... That's my type of fight, so I'm going to be looking for him." If this opening salvo was meant as further intimidation, it didn't work. Barber finished with 89 yards, his most in 26 games and the third-best of his career.

Asked this week if his opinion of Barber had changed, Porter said: "It doesn't matter."

Barber is no trash-talker. In fact, he's not much of a talker at all, at least not to reporters.

He's also not much of a complainer about splitting time with Julius Jones. Jones is the starter and Barber is, well, the closer.

Their combination is a classic blend of speed (Jones) and power (Barber). Jones gets more carries but Barber gets more out of his, averaging more yards per carry and, of course, piling up more TDs.

"It's a team," Jones said. "He's doing a good job. He breaks tackles well and he's productive. It's a good combination. If I'm having a tough day, where defenses are sticking me like they were (in Miami) that's when he breaks loose. I'm sure the same will go the other way. That's the way it is."

Fans have been wanting Barber to get the ball more since he was a rookie in 2005. Alas, this may be the one area where new coach Wade Phillips and Parcells agree the most: Why mess with a good thing? It's also worth noting that Barber was at his best in college when he shared the load at Minnesota with Laurence Maroney, now the starter in New England.

"I see everybody's point that Marion's doing some great things for us and that's what we hoped he'll do but the other guy is doing some good things for us too," Phillips said. "I think it's working the way we're doing it."

Even with Jones off to a slow start, the Cowboys have scored 82 points, most in the NFL. Their 47 points from inside the opponents' 20-yard line is more than 21 teams have scored overall.

That trend is likely to slow when Dallas goes to Chicago on Sunday night.

The Bears' ferocious defense is based on stopping the run. They've already slowed LaDainian Tomlinson and Larry Johnson and now will be ready for Barber and Jones.

"I think the main thing is they've got fresh legs in there all the time," Chicago linebacker Brian Urlacher said. "Jones is the straight-ahead speed guy. Barber is more of the cutback, patient guy."

Urlacher made no bring-it-on challenge, a la Porter.

He even seemed to take offense at the idea a Barbarian was headed his way.

"Is that what he is?" Urlacher said in a testy voice. "A smashmouth guy?"

He'll find out soon enough.

---

AP Sports Writer Steve Wine in Miami contributed.
The Associated Press

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/2007-09-20-3527483531_x.htm

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
Jon;1657979 said:
"Is that what he is?" Urlacher said in a testy voice. "A smashmouth guy?"

Oh Crap ..... I would take anything Urlacher says very seriously.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
I liked that article.

Didn't someone here dub him Marion the Barbarian before TO?

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
I guess I lost out, I wanted his nickname to stick as ... "Marion Barberian" or "Marion the Barberian"

So it would be unique. There may be many barbarians, but only one Barberian!

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Good read. I really do like Jones getting carries, but I just want Barber to start off with the carries first, so our offense can get an early spark instead of starting in the 2nd half.

Meat-O-Rama

Vegetarians are so stupid.
Reaction score
WV Cowboy;1658010 said:
I guess I lost out, I wanted his nickname to stick as ... "Marion Barberian" or "Marion the Barberian"

So it would be unique. There may be many barbarians, but only one Barberian!

Does not sound as vicious though....

No ones quakes in their boots at the thought of "Marion the guy who does a nice job giving haircuts"

ethiostar

Reaction score
c0wb0y_m0nkey;1658026 said:
Does not sound as vicious though....

No ones quakes in their boots at the thought of "Marion the guy who does a nice job giving haircuts"

:lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2:

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
I'm surprised the artists around here have yet to create a "Marion the Barbarian" sig pic yet.. Come on guys, get moving! :D

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
Clove;1658024 said:
Good read. I really do like Jones getting carries, but I just want Barber to start off with the carries first, so our offense can get an early spark instead of starting in the 2nd half.
Have to agree, love the way that Marion plays and want to see him get more carries. However you can't argue with 45 points and 37 points. I agree with Wade, not sure that I want this thing "tweaked".

actual29

Reaction score
Clove;1658063 said:
I'm surprised the artists around here have yet to create a "Marion the Barbarian" sig pic yet.. Come on guys, get moving! :D

hows this??
http://i94.***BLOCKED***/albums/l85/fasheikh/marionthebarbarion.jpg

its my first time doing one... :D

JimRome

Reaction score
Hostile;1658003 said:
I liked that article.

Didn't someone here dub him Marion the Barbarian before TO?
Spectacular. Marion the Barbarion. What a crappy nickname. This just in, "2" has also come up with the following ridiculous nicknames: Columbo the Rotundo, Julius Jones the RB Drone, and Coco D-Ware.

Fantastic.

LeonDixson

Illegitimi non carborundum
Reaction score
actual29;1658646 said:
hows this??
http://i94.***BLOCKED***/albums/l85/fasheikh/marionthebarbarion.jpg

its my first time doing one... :D
Not bad at all!:bow: