News: USAToday: 4 positions Cowboys will need to attack in 2019 NFL free agency

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
4 positions Cowboys will need to attack in 2019 NFL free agency

usatsi_11723974.jpg

The Dallas Cowboys are well underway in their process of self-scouting, preparing for the activity phases of the 2019 NFL offseason. What does this team need to get over the proverbial hump? We kno...

Read Full Story

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ben Grimaldi said:
The Cowboys could use a mammoth run-stuffer in the middle, in addition to more bodies. The defense was gashed by the run in the playoffs and at certain points during the season (Colts game anyone?). Dallas’ need for a big bodied interior lineman continues, but the people running the team continue to dismiss the idea. It’s time to address the defensive tackle position and there will be help in free agency.
Jerry, Stephen and Garrett should stop dismissing the idea if true. Consistently pressuring the quarterback and stuffing the run should go hand-in-hand. The defense needs a guy who can step in, attract double teams, and hold his ground on run plays, In my opinion, Dallas is this specific player away from fielding an elite defense despite continued reservations at safety.

NEODOG

44cowboys22
Reaction score
Jerry, Stephen and Garrett should stop dismissing the idea if true. Consistently pressuring the quarterback and stuffing the run should go hand-in-hand. The defense needs a guy who can step in, attract double teams, and hold his ground on run plays, In my opinion, Dallas is this specific player away from fielding an elite defense despite continued reservations at safety.

Yup we get gashed up front, our D play was solid out back

eromeopolk

Reaction score
4 positions Cowboys will need to attack in 2019 NFL free agency

usatsi_11723974.jpg

The Dallas Cowboys are well underway in their process of self-scouting, preparing for the activity phases of the 2019 NFL offseason. What does this team need to get over the proverbial hump? We kno...

Read Full Story
Don't need a WR. We got the Bosie St. WR from last year that will be available. Spent our no.1 pick on Cooper and drafted Gallop last year. You can find a slot WR just like you found Beasley...in the UDFA slot WR dump pile.

Needs - FS/SS, DT/DL, OL, TE, CB, LB, back up RB.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Safety, DL, WR, TE :facepalm:

When has Stephen Jones ever been aggressive in FA? Our Safety corps did a fine job last season and was not a point of weakness last season. The only reason Saftey is on this list is because some folks want to see the Cowboys pick up ET. Both sides of the trenches should be a point of emphasis every pre-season so DL is no surprise on this list. We have our bonafide 1WR and Gallup's maturation as a solid 2WR is on pace. The absence of Beas will leave a void but I don't think it should be filled in FA. We have young talent already onboard that should be given the opportunity to be our slot WR. We often seem to forget Cedrick Wilson is still on this team... I anticipate a productive 2019 season for him. Last but not least, TE. I'm more than content with allowing Jarwain, Swaim, and Dalton to compete for playing time at that position. Rico is still just a project. I once again don't see Stephen Jones being very aggressive in FA, mainly because there isn't a great need to do so. Maybe go after a DT or DE but that's it.

conner01

Reaction score
They’ve never dismissed a big body in the middle. They’ve dismissed they idea of a one demetional player. They don’t want a pure run stuffer who does nothing in the passing game
The problem is there are few DT’s who do both

GMO415

Reaction score
If we could get the Aggie TE in the draft then we could probably save money on TE. Otherwise, Cook will be wearing the Star.

Bluefin

Reaction score
Best tackle options: Grady Jarrett, Sheldon Richardson, Muhammad Wilkerson, Ndamukong Suh
The biggest off-season priority not involving a player currently on our roster is securing a 3 Tech.

Be it paying a free agent or by trade, the team needs to find someone to play the most important role in Rod Marinelli's defensive scheme.

Grady Jarrett will probably get Tagged if he doesn't sign before the deadline.

I want to draft a 3T, too, but getting immediate help would mean adding a veteran who has already done it at this level.

I'd also love to add a veteran Nose to pair with Antwaun Woods.

Strengthening the interior DL needs to be line one this off-season.

They’ve never dismissed a big body in the middle. They’ve dismissed they idea of a one demetional player. They don’t want a pure run stuffer who does nothing in the passing game The problem is there are few DT’s who do both
Agreed.

Drafting one dimensional run defenders is not a DT priority for Marinelli, he feels such players are easy to find late in the draft.

DTs must bring pass rush abilities to the table in order to secure an early round grade with the Dallas Cowboys.

millennial_legend

Reaction score
Tyler Eifert and a bada$$ slot receiver, a quality receiving back (Duke Johnson?) and an upgrade on the OL. And I'm good. Let Lawrence walk.

visionary

Reaction score
They’ve never dismissed a big body in the middle. They’ve dismissed they idea of a one demetional player. They don’t want a pure run stuffer who does nothing in the passing game
The problem is there are few DT’s who do both

I love it when people defend stupidity and mediocrity

Just love it

Little Jr

Reaction score
It's not about a big fat DT. It's about scheme and the quality of the player, especially in today's NFL.

Teams will just spread you out in a pass formation to get your fat run stuffer out and run the ball. You need players who fit your scheme and can actually play.

We won 3 super bowls in the 90s when running the ball was popular and we did it with a small defense. We did it with scheme and quality of players.

If you can get a fat run stuffer who can also play on passing downs and get to the qb, great. That's why we don't draft one in the first round and don't spend money on getting one.

People look at the rams game and think that would've helped but it wouldn't have. A fat guy wouldn't have been in on a lot of the downs. Plus it was our WHOLE front 7 that didn't perform that game, DEs, DTs and LBs played poor that game.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
Dumb article just names the top FAs and not realistic signings. We have a lot of our own to resign in the immediate future and I am pretty sure we are bringing ET aboard so that leaves us with mid to lower tier FAs. I would like Eifert, bring back Austin and go after a run stuffing NT like Jordan Phillips.