News: USAToday: Amari Cooper's play, peer comparisons dictate projection for new Cowboys deal

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Amari Cooper's play, peer comparisons dictate projection for new Cowboys deal

usatsi_118193101.jpg

When ol' boy starts to fly, like a blur speeding by, that's Amari.... When the world sees you shine and make Eagles DBs whine, that's Amari... Is Amari Cooper one of the b...

Read Full Story

Eanwen

Reaction score
I'm really not gonna care what Amari gets in his new contract.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Another good player that we will be forced to pay like a GREAT player.
That sums it up right there, what you said is what Ive been thinking all off season.
We have pending contracts on good to really good players, but I cant say that any are worthy of "great" status.
Maybe Zeke, probably Zeke, ya Zeke is great, but he is but a lowly RB on the proper team cap build process scale, RBs despite talent, should be considered replaceable.
Coop.. gonna get payed, we didn't give up a first to let him walk.
Dak will get payed top QB money.
Tank will get payed top DE money
Byron will get payed top DB money.
At some point we end up with a "Good" team, we already have one, but we are what we are, a good team that cant get past the great teams, but we did beat seattle.
Is that going to be good enough?
These are tough FO decisions that are looming.
Everybody says just pay them.

Sydla

Reaction score
Seems like a pretty fair deal.

I am assuming that by $32MM guaranteed they mean that's the total guaranteed money and not just initial guarantees. If $32MM guaranteed is the total money, it's a pretty good contract.

It would rank him 8th in the NFL amongst WRs in guaranteed cash with AJ Green, who signed his deal a few years ago. For comparison, Mike Evans has over $55MM in total potential guarantees.

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
That sums it up right there, what you said is what Ive been thinking all off season.
We have pending contracts on good to really good players, but I cant say that any are worthy of "great" status.
Maybe Zeke, probably Zeke, ya Zeke is great, but he is but a lowly RB on the proper team cap build process scale, RBs despite talent, should be considered replaceable.
Coop.. gonna get payed, we didn't give up a first to let him walk.
Dak will get payed top QB money.
Tank will get payed top DE money
Byron will get payed top DB money.
At some point we end up with a "Good" team, we already have one, but we are what we are, a good team that cant get past the great teams, but we did beat seattle.
Is that going to be good enough?
These are tough FO decisions that are looming.
Everybody says just pay them.

Exactly. I hope to keep them all but even if you sign every one of them you aren't getting better. You are just staying the same. We need to be able to afford to not only re-sign our good players but need to be able to sign a couple of great Free agents. If you pay your good players as if they are all great then you can't afford to.

GenoT

Reaction score
Unless they’re willing to roll the dice that Gallup is ready to take over as the #1 WR, Amari’s what we have.

The FO didn’t wanna pay Dez, so we wasted part of 2018 figuring out that a committee of JAGs wasn’t gonna get it done.

Considering that Dak was looking like hot garbage and the team was going nowhere before Cooper arrived, he deserves a good payday.

nobody

Reaction score
Unless they’re willing to roll the dice that Gallup is ready to take over as the #1 WR, Amari’s what we have.

The FO didn’t wanna pay Dez, so we wasted part of 2018 figuring out that a committee of JAGs wasn’t gonna get it done.

Considering that Dak was looking like hot garbage and the team was going nowhere before Cooper arrived, he deserves a good payday.

Given an off-season for Dak and Amari to work together, I think we'll see Amari do even better this season. If Gallup gets better, we'll actually have a good receiver tandem again. My question is, what are they going to do about a slot receiver?

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
The question most seem to miss is this.

Is he a playmaker?

Teams are built around playmakers. With good players.

Elliott
Prescott
FredBeard
T Smith
Martin

J Smith
Vander Esch
Lawrence
Jones (maybe)

So is Cooper a play maker or just a good player?

But for sure it seems like every this part of the off season people are so quick to jettison the players that performed last season. He switched teams 7 games into the season and still posted 725 yards. That is 80 per game. Without a training camp or the coaching staff not fully utilizing this player.

He can post 1400 yards or better with a full season and training camp.

The grass is always green with some people.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
USA Today is saying Our Projection: 5 years (total), $76.5 million with $32 million guaranteed.

What do yall think ?

According to the article the Cowboys were willing to give Sammy Watkins $15 million/yr to Sammy Watkins, so I don't know why they wouldn't be willing to do the same with Amari. This deal averages out to $15.3 million/yr.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
It seems absolutely fair to put him (and pay him) in the second
The question most seem to miss is this.

Is he a playmaker?

Teams are built around playmakers. With good players.

Elliott
Prescott
FredBeard
T Smith
Martin

J Smith
Vander Esch
Lawrence
Jones (maybe)

So is Cooper a play maker or just a good player?

But for sure it seems like every this part of the off season people are so quick to jettison the players that performed last season. He switched teams 7 games into the season and still posted 725 yards. That is 80 per game. Without a training camp or the coaching staff not fully utilizing this player.

He can post 1400 yards or better with a full season and training camp.

The grass is always green with some people.
Historically he has not been a playmaker but in Dallas he did show the ability. He created long touchdowns and even broke tackles in the open field. I would not ignore the entire data set though...

ShiningStar

Reaction score
heres where it counts, Will Kellen Moore use our weapons properly?

You have to still remind the players..."this is still the Dallas Cowboys, they arent takig winning seriously, so if you sign, its about the money"

After that, i dont care how good or great you think the player is, our bad coaches will not play to win. JJ sent a clear message, he doesnt care if you are here to be winners, Kellen is the OC now, good luck with that.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
My guess is 5 years, $85 million, $51 million guaranteed.

Allen Robinson, Sammy Watkins, and Brandin Cooks all signed $16 mil/year AAV contracts this offseason (the first two only took 3 year deals because they want to renegotiate after the upcoming CBA). As far as guarantees, Robinson has 57% of his contract guaranteed, Watkins has 62%, and Cooks has 60%, so 60% looks to be the norm.

Factor in cap inflation to push that $16 mil AAV closer to $17 mil, give him the going rate for guarantees, and I think those numbers above look fair.

Last edited: