News: USAToday: DeMarcus Lawrence may return but Cowboys need more pass rush help

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
DeMarcus Lawrence may return but Cowboys need more pass rush help

usatsi_11135742.jpg

One of the most pressing needs for the 2019 Dallas Cowboys is to re-sign defensive end DeMarcus Lawrence. The team's leading sack master for the last two seasons, totally 25, is once again a ...

Read Full Story

Batman1980

Reaction score
We know. As even the numbers would tell you, Randy Gregory and a bunch of guys are not enough. Get Everson Griffen for cheap, re-sign Tank and upgrade at DE and 1T in the draft.

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
We know. As even the numbers would tell you, Randy Gregory and a bunch of guys are not enough. Get Everson Griffen for cheap, re-sign Tank and upgrade at DE and 1T in the draft.
With the loss of Irving, DT is our top need IMO.

Woods is on the upswing. Heath isn't great, but he isn't terrible. Fixture in the 14 - 20 at his position range.

I would be supportive of signing Suh (sounds expensive, but he's coming off a one-year deal, he's 32)... Suh for 2 years @ 20mn sounds great to me.

Gregory / Taco / Armstrong / Woods + keeping Lawrence, etc;... Add a reliable top 10 guy at DT (Suh - who is closer to top 7 than top 10) and a rookie in the 2nd / 3rd and you're in pretty good shape.

Tangle_Foot

Reaction score
I think we can expect more of a pass-rush from our late bloomers going forward. Randy Gregory has his first full season under his belt and Taco who was quite raw as a prospect could very well take that second-year jump in year 3.
Not getting anything from David Irving last season really hurt, it would have been nice if he had disrupted the opposition as much as he did the Cowboys. I wonder if Rod has any ideas about kicking Taco inside? Interesting days ahead to say the least.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
DeMarcus Lawrence may return but Cowboys need more pass rush help

One of the most pressing needs for the 2019 Dallas Cowboys is to re-sign defensive end DeMarcus Lawrence. The team's leading sack master for the last two seasons, totally 25, is once again a ...

Read Full Story

Meh. Too negative.

Gregory on schedule for 9 sacks if all we do is bump his snap counts to around 70%.
Crawford gives production.
Daniel Ross produced significantly on 25% snaps.
Collins finally healthy. As of today.
Taco. Armstrong.

Jaylon had 4 sacks, and one of the highest sacks per snap productivity in the league.

Even without Lawrence, we've gone into seasons with a lot less on the dline.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

Woods is on the upswing. Heath isn't great, but he isn't terrible. Fixture in the 14 - 20 at his position range.

I would be supportive of signing Suh (sounds expensive, but he's coming off a one-year deal, he's 32)... Suh for 2 years @ 20mn sounds great to me.

Gregory / Taco / Armstrong / Woods + keeping Lawrence, etc;... Add a reliable top 10 guy at DT (Suh - who is closer to top 7 than top 10) and a rookie in the 2nd / 3rd and you're in pretty good shape.

Ross was pretty productive at 25% of snaps. We've actually got a lot at 3T, between Crawford, Collins, and Ross.

Good chance we go 3T, but good chance that's a redshirt Simmons.

Maybe 1 yr rental on a vet. Anyone decent coming back from a mostly missed for injury 2018?

I wonder if they'll think about extending Collins, figuring we could get him cheap, and expecting him to be better, now that he has the right size shoes on. (Coaching matters yet again.)

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

Heath is horrid. More like 32-55 at his position.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
"Tyrone Crawford helps as a jack-of-all-trades, but it’s hard to classify him as a pass rusher"

And yet some people want to continue to waste time "starting" him at RDE and continuing grossly overpaying on his contract?

conner01

Reaction score
Meh. Too negative.

Gregory on schedule for 9 sacks if all we do is bump his snap counts to around 70%.
Taco. Armstrong.

Jaylon had 4 sacks, and one of the highest sacks per snap productivity in the league.

Every team wants more pass rush
If we get Dlaw done and Gregory can continue to grow we have a couple of pass rushers
We need inside pressure but with no 1st I don’t see that really improving
In the end it wasn’t our pass rush that sent us home,

ondaedg

Reaction score
Heh haven't we been investing draft picks into DE? Cant miss on these picks in today's NFL. Hurry someone go tell Garrett and Jones that.

slick325

Reaction score
Upgrading the 3Tech plus Gregory continuing to wipe the rust off, will do wonders for the pass rush after getting Lawrence back in the fold.

Evaluate an impact 3Tech and don't be afraid to move up in the 2nd to get him.

Sydla

Reaction score
Yes, they do need more pass rush help. Even with Lawrence, we were an average team at getting pressure.

jrumann59

Reaction score
Meh. Too negative.

Taco. Armstrong.

Without Lawrence, Gregory does not sniff 9 sacks. Matter of fact I think without Lawrence the DL totals will shrink by a large margin, not counting the 10-12 sacks Lawrence would get you.

glimmerman

Reaction score
A real shame about Irving. Would have really helped the rotation. With Collins and Crawford. We are gonna have to draft a DT. We have another DE that should come along in TC. Would like to get us a DT in FA that would make a immediate impact.

sbark

Reaction score
We need the push to start coming up the middle....that is what makes the Rams and Igles tough
F.cox, a.donald
It gets there immediatly

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Isn't Griffen still under contract with the Vikings, and doesn't he have some behavioral issues?

Flamma

Reaction score
Although I agree with a lot of stuff said here, the Patriots haven't been known to have a monster pass rush yet the Bill/Tom era got them to 9 Super Bowls.

sbark

Reaction score
Although I agree with a lot of stuff said here, the Patriots haven't been known to have a monster pass rush yet the Bill/Tom era got them to 9 Super Bowls.
Pressures....from all directions, but enough up the middle