News: USAToday: Heath, Awuzie cited among biggest holes for NFC East teams in 2019

NewsBot

Reaction score
The Dallas Cowboys saw a resurgent defense lead the team to the NFC divisional round of the playoffs in 2018. However, there is still room for improvement. Rod Marinelli and Kris Richard will look to retain priority defenders such as Demarcus Lawrence in free agency, while adding talent to take the next step forward. Despite the breakout of Byron Jones and Xavier Woods, the secondary looks like it could use some changes.

Football Outsiders previews the top need for each of the NFC East teams entering free agency and the draft. While improved, the secondary was graded as the biggest deficiency for the Cowboys. There were lapses in play by Jeff Heath and Chidobe Awuzie that were targeted by opposing teams.

Jeff Heath can not tackle. We noted last year in this space that Heath had more missed tackles (11) than defeats (six). The problem got worse in 2018, as Heath’s 22 broken tackles were the second-most allowed in the league. Heath just isn’t a starting-caliber strong safety; he’s a quality special teams player who has been promoted beyond his skill set. Bringing in a new safety — either strong or free, as Woods would do just fine moving into the strong safety position — would help a defense that ranked 19th or worse when covering tight ends, running backs, or third wideouts. In addition, cornerback Chidobe Awuzie finished 81st out of 85 qualified cornerbacks in success rate. Replacing either Heath or Awuzie, or preferably both, would help a defense that hasn’t finished in the top 10 against the pass since 2007.

This echoes constant refrains from here at Cowboys Wire. From K.D. Drummond’s who-to-release article in January:

Heath is a fan favorite, as during more lean years of defensive talent he led the club in forced turnovers three seasons in a row. Once those are stripped away, all that’s left is a very athletic player who misses a boatload of tackles in every game. Heath missed 13 tackles in the run game per Pro Football Focus, the most among any safety, then chipped in another six misses in the passing game.​

His tackling efficiency among those who played at least 535 defensive snaps was the second-worst in all of football, 63rd out of 64 eligible players.​

And as for Awuzie…

10 targets, 9 receptions for 117 yards and a 115 passer rating against for Awuzie through 2 games.

Again, I don't know where this narrative is coming from. He's been decent, but not good.

It will come, surely, but it's not right now. Look today so far. https://t.co/SGJl8FmZLb

— KD Drummond (@KDDrummondNFL) September 23, 2018

Julio turns to look for the ball at the 11-yard line.

Awuzie reacts at the 5-yd line, when he honestly pass interferes by trying to hold down Jones' inside arm.

He still doesn't turn, and then tries to knock the ball loose after Jones has it. pic.twitter.com/EHaLs8aHny

— KD Drummond (@KDDrummondNFL) November 20, 2018

Chido Awuzie returned to his starting position last night.

Gave up 5 receptions on 5 targets, again, no PBUs.

I was the first to say it, but people are coming around. He's not who they claim he is. #PlayJourdanLewis

— KD Drummond (@KDDrummondNFL) November 6, 2018

It's so frustrating and I'm giving Awuzie such a hard time because he's not garbage. He has the tools to be great, he just never, ever sees the clues that the ball is coming.

If he ever gets that he'll be good, but until he does he has a bulls eye on his back. https://t.co/f4a3WARyVr

— KD Drummond (@KDDrummondNFL) November 19, 2018

The Cowboys have spent plenty of draft resources in an attempt to fix the secondary. Byron Jones (1st round), Chidobe Awuzie (2nd round) and Jourdan Lewis (3rd round) have been selected with premium draft capital, while Xavier Woods (6th round) and Anthony Brown (6th round) have been excellent finds in the later rounds of the draft.

As noted above, Woods and Jones have solidified their roles in the defensive backfield for the Cowboys. However, Awuzie and Heath struggled last year. Furthermore, Jourdan Lewis isn’t seen as an ideal fit for Kris Richards’ defense. Richard prefers taller cornerbacks, which Lewis (listed at 5-feet-10) is not.

Richard’s defenses in Seattle were littered with tall, long secondary players. Dallas didn’t acquire a single one last season, through the draft or free agency, seemingly giving their coordinator a chance to evaluate what was already in-house, mostly to see if they could still reap rewards from bombarding the previous year’s draft.

Now he will have a chance to truly mold the unit in his image, and that will likely mean a heavy influence on the unit.

The team will target players that can make plays to change the ball game. Corners with good ball skills and a safety that can tackle well would provide a big boost to the Cowboys’ title hopes in 2019.

As for the other NFC East teams, Football Outsiders identified quarterback as the biggest hole in the rosters of Washington and New York, and felt like the Eagles need to focus on the secondary as well, specifically cornerback.

You can follow Jared on Twitter at @Wingate_Jared.

Continue reading...

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Jeff Heath can not tackle.

So if he can't tackle, but is 3rd on the team in tackles, I guess B. Jones and every other secondary player can't tackle, either.

Somebody help the Cowboys, please!

The coaches stick Heath in the middle of the field, then when a pass is thrown to the sideline and the cornerback can't cover him, and Heath has to come in and try to tackle a moving receiver, he's expected to make every one?

Receivers do have the ability to break tackles, you know.

Heath does need to improve, but it's not like he has to just walk up to a stationary receiver and take his flag, lol. As is often the case, there's more to the story than stats...

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
So if he can't tackle, but is 3rd on the team in tackles, I guess B. Jones and every other secondary player can't tackle, either.

Somebody help the Cowboys, please!

He's 3rd due to his role, but he doesn't take bad angles and sometimes takes bad form. I think Byron Jones lead the team in tackles once and he isn't a good tackler from the safety position. Seems much improved as a CB where he isn't in the open field as much.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
IMO, which isn't worth much, Awuzei was a better CB the last few games of the regular season than Jones. As far as Heath, always over rated by Cowboy fans. We love the underdog and he's a'ight for an UDFA and a good ST player but I remember when Heath was anointed as the SS 2 or 3 years ago. I wonder out loud if Richard was the DB coach back then if the same decision would have been made. As fans we make our own players seem better than they really are. As I said not bad for an UDFA but we can do much better in the upcoming draft or FA. Again my opinion only