News: USAToday: Jason Witten feeling like Cowboys 'rookie tight end' at age of 37

NewsBot

Reaction score
After an abrupt retirement that turned out to be only a temporary hiatus, the return of Jason Witten is one of the major storylines of the Dallas Cowboys 2019 season. This is essentially uncharted territory for the 37-year-old, soon to be 16-year NFL veteran, and future Hall of Famer.

He’s rejoining the only team he’s ever known, albeit one with many new faces, on a vastly different trajectory since the end of the 2017 season, and with more questions than ever about what exactly he can provide the Dallas offense. But as Witten recently revealed to DallasCowboys.com, he’s well-aware why he’s here. Witten knows he’s uniquely qualified to show this current iteration of the team the Cowboys way, even if he feels like a “rookie tight end.”

“Fitting in with teammates has never been an issue for me. It’s always been something that came very natural. It was important for me to reiterate to them early on that this is their team, it’s their time. It’s an opportunity for me to be a part of it.​

I’m still going to be myself. I think that’s what we all want, is for me to come back and approach it that way. But even early on with those guys, I constantly – whether it was Sean (Lee), Dak (Prescott), different players along the way, Zeke (Elliott) – I always tried to empower, even though I was the elder statesman on the team.”​

In mid-May, Witten is just another guy putting in time during the team’s voluntary spring workouts, eager to get going. He may be the all-time franchise leader in receptions and receiving yards, but he’s here to help build a team.

” . . . you want to go through these times together – offseason training . . . . when you build a team, you want to be a part of that. The role and all those different things, they work themselves out. I had a lot of fun, I got a new perspective on the game, I think I learned a lot during that year away. I’m excited to show what I’ve got.”​

Whatever that role may be, whether it’s taking a backseat to the other TEs on the roster, assisting first-year OC Kellen Moore with the week-to-week gameplan, or serving as Dak Prescott’s not-so-secret red zone weapon, Witten will be ready.

Per usual, the upcoming Cowboys season figures to be a rollercoaster, given the opportunities in front of them. Witten’s just along for the ride.

Witten is our No. 22 ranked Cowboy in the Offseason Player Power Rankings.

Gallery

Cowboys 2019 Offseason Player Power Rankings

Continue reading...