USC's Right Tackle

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Tyron Smith. He's a Junior, 6'5" and supposedly bulked up to 280. I know they wanted him to get bigger but he hasn't been able to maintain it. Back-up left tackle as a freshman and he has started at right tackle since the beginning of last year.

If the Cowboys are going to start getting away from big, mauler-type linemen and go with more athletic guys like Doug Free, he would be in that mold.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Chris in Arizona;3527567 said:
Tyron Smith. He's a Junior, 6'5" and supposedly bulked up to 280. I know they wanted him to get bigger but he hasn't been able to maintain it. Back-up left tackle as a freshman and he has started at right tackle since the beginning of last year.

If the Cowboys are going to start getting away from big, mauler-type linemen and go with more athletic guys like Doug Free, he would be in that mold.

He jumps off the screen. Looks like he has a high motor too.

Long arms as well and absolutely great feet.

He needs to get up about 30 more LbS though.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I gotta bump my thread. I really should be a NFL scout. It's getting ridiculous.

burmafrd

Reaction score
He cannot make it in the NFL at 280. He is supposedly only 20 so maybe he can put on some weight, but you have to wonder since it s come out recently that they try to put weight on him but he burns it off.

jblaze2004

Reaction score
burmafrd;3787138 said:
He cannot make it in the NFL at 280. He is supposedly only 20 so maybe he can put on some weight, but you have to wonder since it s come out recently that they try to put weight on him but he burns it off.

he is a work a holic thats why. He Bust butt in practice and doesn't slack off maybe..idk

burmafrd

Reaction score
Bottom line is that if he cannot get to near 300, he will not be able to play Tackle in the pros; the strongest DEs will basically be able to toss him aside. That is one reason you need to be up to at least 300, and I am not sure that there are any good starting tackles under 310.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
I think he's gonna go to a zone block team, unrealistic to expect him to get much higher than 300, and even that is a bit light.

burmafrd

Reaction score
So you gained 20 lbs. whoopie. Or did you not catch the part where he has had trouble keeping weight on?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I'm not going to waive my pom poms for us to get this guy but his footwork for a Tackle is magical.

It wouldn't surprise me if he shows up in Indy weighing close to 300.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
CATCH17;3787366 said:
I'm not going to waive my pom poms for us to get this guy but his footwork for a Tackle is magical.

It wouldn't surprise me if he shows up in Indy weighing close to 300.

He could loan up to help his draft stock, but he's naturally not that weight. He's young though, I certainly wouldn't mind him as a RT or even depth LT, but as it stands, he's gonna have some trouble with bull rushers.

locked&loaded

Reaction score
MarionBarberThe4th;3787341 said:
Ive gained 20 lbs. since I was 20 and Im 6 feet tall and white.

Tyron is one of the juicier prospects in years

fat:moon:

Cover 2

Pessimists Unite!!!
Reaction score
Only tackle that's worth a 1st IMO besides maybe Sherrod.

Reaction score
he could EASILY bulk up. I went from 160 pounds in the 10th grade to around 215 in the 12th, and thats with no personal trainer, and the best stuff, which this kid will have. He should have no problem bulking up.

Cover 2

Pessimists Unite!!!
Reaction score
CATCH17;3787609 said:
Carimi is worth a 1 man.
Most people feel so, but I don't. He doesn't have the athleticism of a 1st round tackle IMO. But I'm definitely in the minority with that opinion.

I haven't seen a lot of Tyron Smith, but his athleticism and feet just jump out at you. I consider him to be a legit blue chip prospect. He'll need a few years on the bench, but it will be well worth it.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Cover 2;3787651 said:
Most people feel so, but I don't. He doesn't have the athleticism of a 1st round tackle IMO. But I'm definitely in the minority with that opinion.

I haven't seen a lot of Tyron Smith, but his athleticism and feet just jump out at you. I consider him to be a legit blue chip prospect. He'll need a few years on the bench, but it will be well worth it.

See I was actually surprised with his athletic ability and once he gets his hands on you he basically does the sled drill.

He's my kind of offensive tackle and a guy I wouldnt want to play against for 4 quarters.

hsfolk

Reaction score
Tyron Smith reminds me of the guy out of USC who came out last year and was projected to go in the first, but fell to the Saints at the end of the 2nd. I think his name is Charles Brown? He was about the same weight as Smith