USC's skill position players better then any NFL group?

like a dog

Panamanian Cowboy
Reaction score
I mentioned this in another thread but I'd like to know what you guys think. I believe that, if I were to start an NFL team from scratch (so age is a concern), I would take the USC skill position players over any NFL group. Here they are:

QB - Matt Leinart, 6'5''/225 (Sr.) - Would have been the #1 pick this year. Cerebral southpaw can make all the throws and is a good athlete. Should be a star.

HB - Reggie Bush, 6'0''/205 (Jr.) - The best player in college football has the potential to be a more explosive version of Marshall Faulk in his prime. Has as much pure athletic skill as anybody since Bo Jackson.

HB - Lendale White, 6'2''/225 (Jr.) - The thunder to Bush's lightning, big powerful back has suprising burst and elusivness for such a big man. Finishes off runs as well as anybody in the college game with his fantastic body lean. Should be a star.

TE - Dominique Bird, 6'4''/255 (Sr.) - Superb athlete has the speed to strech the middle of the field and attack the seams. Also is a good in-line blocker. Could be a first round pick in 2006 with a good season.

WR - Dwayne Jarret, 6'5''/195 (So.) - The total package. Creates mismatches with his elite of size, speed, and athleticism. Very polished receiver for his age. Will be a top 10 pick when he comes out.

WR - Steve Smith, 6'2''/195 (Jr.) - Another supremely talented wideout. Had injury problems last year but dominated when healthy. Tremendous combination of size, speed, and athleticism to go with well polished game. Likely top 10 pick.

WR - Chris McFoy, 6'1''/195 (Jr.) - Good athlete played very well in Smith's absence. Not as talented as Smith or Jarret, but projects as a first day pick.

Right now I think most would agree that the Colts group of...

QB - Petyon Manning
HB - Edgerin James
HB - Dominick Rhodes
TE - Dallas Clark
WR - Marvin Harrison
WR - Reggie Wayne
WR - Brandon Stokely

...is better. But if you are starting a team from scratch and you are thinking playoffs in 2-3 years, I think that you take USC's group.

Anyways, it is pretty ridicolous the talent they have assembled in LA this year. Don't look for a dropoff next year either as a lot of people think that John David Booty will be better then Leinart.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Talk about a USC homer. NONE of these guys has done a thing in the NFL. College means nothing in the NFL. Ryan Leaf was supposed to be all pro. How about all the highly REGARDED COLLEGE RB's that have stunk up the NFL. Rogers was a can't miss WR- now he can't stay healthy for more than a game or two.
WHAT a joke.

HardHittin'Witten

This ain't Madden
Reaction score
this is just like asking if the best college team could beat the worst NFL team. THe answer to that is NO.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
HardHittin'Witten said:
this is just like asking if the best college team could beat the worst NFL team. THe answer to that is NO.
might give the 49ers a run for their money, tho...:p:

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
burmafrd said:
Talk about a USC homer. NONE of these guys has done a thing in the NFL. College means nothing in the NFL. Ryan Leaf was supposed to be all pro. How about all the highly REGARDED COLLEGE RB's that have stunk up the NFL. Rogers was a can't miss WR- now he can't stay healthy for more than a game or two.
WHAT a joke.

Dont beat up the guy, you never know as bad as dan fran played last year, i bet they'd blow them out:D

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
I think many fail to understand this concept: The best CF player = Average NFL player while they are still in college. The NFL is a whole 'nother level of football, this explains why most Heisman winners bomb. Great in CF does not equal great in the NFL. If you put Patrick Ramsey, a very average NFL QB, back in college after his time in the NFL, he would DOMINATE, possibly be the best QB in college. On the flip side, put Matt Leinart in the NFL right now and he would be average at best in his first year. There are a few VERY RARE exceptions to this, such as Big Ben and Randy Moss, but normally its the case.

USC would get beat like a rented mule by even the worse NFL teams.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
HardHittin'Witten said:
awww...I miss the old HOF game when the college all stars played the super bowl champs, and sometimes gave them all they could handle...lol

Chuck 54

Reaction score
I won't disagree that the worst NFL team should beat the best college team, but in today's watered down league, I think there are Sundays when some NFL teams are playing with injuries to their super stars that a top college team could give them all they wanted every now and then, especially if they played by the college coverage rules.

There were Sundays when we were playing with Chad Henson at QB and no WR's or RB's but Hambrick that I think the National Champions would have had a great chance to beat us...we weren't just bad; we didn't have any top quality players on the field.

Smashmouth24

Reaction score
The 49ers MIGHT lose to a college all-star team, but only due to apathy towards playing a team they should murder.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
like a dog said:
I mentioned this in another thread but I'd like to know what you guys think. I believe that, if I were to start an NFL team from scratch (so age is a concern), I would take the USC skill position players over any NFL group. Here they are:

QB - Matt Leinart, 6'5''/225 (Sr.) - Would have been the #1 pick this year. Cerebral southpaw can make all the throws and is a good athlete. Should be a star.

HB - Reggie Bush, 6'0''/205 (Jr.) - The best player in college football has the potential to be a more explosive version of Marshall Faulk in his prime. Has as much pure athletic skill as anybody since Bo Jackson.

HB - Lendale White, 6'2''/225 (Jr.) - The thunder to Bush's lightning, big powerful back has suprising burst and elusivness for such a big man. Finishes off runs as well as anybody in the college game with his fantastic body lean. Should be a star.

TE - Dominique Bird, 6'4''/255 (Sr.) - Superb athlete has the speed to strech the middle of the field and attack the seams. Also is a good in-line blocker. Could be a first round pick in 2006 with a good season.

WR - Dwayne Jarret, 6'5''/195 (So.) - The total package. Creates mismatches with his elite of size, speed, and athleticism. Very polished receiver for his age. Will be a top 10 pick when he comes out.

WR - Steve Smith, 6'2''/195 (Jr.) - Another supremely talented wideout. Had injury problems last year but dominated when healthy. Tremendous combination of size, speed, and athleticism to go with well polished game. Likely top 10 pick.

WR - Chris McFoy, 6'1''/195 (Jr.) - Good athlete played very well in Smith's absence. Not as talented as Smith or Jarret, but projects as a first day pick.

QB - Petyon Manning
HB - Edgerin James
HB - Dominick Rhodes
TE - Dallas Clark
WR - Marvin Harrison
WR - Reggie Wayne
WR - Brandon Stokely

...is better. But if you are starting a team from scratch and you are thinking playoffs in 2-3 years, I think that you take USC's group.

Anyways, it is pretty ridicolous the talent they have assembled in LA this year. Don't look for a dropoff next year either as a lot of people think that John David Booty will be better then Leinart.
I think Miami will win the Matt Leinart sweepstakes as the worst team.

Some team will love Reggie Bush. What a weapon.

I am interested in Steve Smith for the Cowboys.

Some very good weapons but they wouldn't beat the NFL guys unless it was sandlot rules.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
like a dog said:

QB - Petyon Manning
HB - Edgerin James
HB - Dominick Rhodes
TE - Dallas Clark
WR - Marvin Harrison
WR - Reggie Wayne
WR - Brandon Stokely

If you use the Colts comparison the only one I could give ya is Reggie Bush over Dominic Rhodes.

High pick does not equal star NFL'er.
There is a ton of potential on that USC club but it has to be realized.

So lets take it local and go to the Boys because all life revolves arounf the Cowboys.

QB: Bledsoe or Lienart. Bledsoe has been to a Super Bowl and has passed for 4k yards 3 times. He's also older and holds the ball too long. Right now Bledsoe is better but we would all rather have the potnetial of Lienart. Both sould be 1st overall picks.

RB: JuJo vs LenDale/Reggie. Ironically Julius is a mix of those 2. He has between the tackles power and on the edge speed. JuJo over either solo. Bush will go round 1 but may be more Brian Westbrook than Marshall Faulk. Reggie is prolly 180 at most. Reminds me of Dante Hall a great deal. LenDale should be a round 2 guy like Julius.

WR: KJ vs. Jarret. Similar players with KJ having lost a lot of speed but gained a ton of experience. Right now KJ is gonna perform better but Jarret has the youth and upside edge. KJ was a 1st overall. Jarret should be a top 10 guy if he stays healthy.

WR2: Smith vs. Terry Glenn. Similar type player with Smith being bigger but Glenn having better hands. Glenn went 8th I believe. Smith should go 15 to 20. Similar prospect to Ashley Lelie.

WR3: Edge USC because Quincy is painfully inconsistent.

TE: Edge Dallas by a long shot. Witten has Hall of Fame type potential.

But the big difference is on the OL. USC doesn't have one guy that could start on the Dallas OL. Their best OL 2 years ago couldn't even get on the field for us last year. That is where USC would get slaughtered by pro teams; in the trenches. Those quick Wrs would need to put on about 15 pounds to get off the line of scrimmage as well.

Cowboy Junkie

leonargized
Reaction score
There is No way they could compete with any NFL team .They just wouldn't be developed enough , but as for another push at a title they seem to be loaded.

Mkyle

Benched
Reaction score
Did you know that many, many years ago, that the College Allstars teams (if I remember this right) actually played against some NFL teams at the end of the season? I'm not really certain how that worked, I don't know if the NFL team was the SB winner, or loser, or something else, but, yes, on some occasions the College team did win against the NFL team. Maybe someone else here can remember that and explain it....

However, that was way back, and I don't think in todays game that the best College players could beat an NFL team. Well, maybe the Commanders....

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
Mkyle said:
Did you know that many, many years ago, that the College Allstars teams (if I remember this right) actually played against some NFL teams at the end of the season? I'm not really certain how that worked, I don't know if the NFL team was the SB winner, or loser, or something else, but, yes, on some occasions the College team did win against the NFL team. Maybe someone else here can remember that and explain it....

However, that was way back, and I don't think in todays game that the best College players could beat an NFL team. Well, maybe the Commanders....
Not all that many years ago.....

In the seventies there were games between the college All-stars and the SB champs. I think I recall they held them in preseason. I can't recall if the SB champs actually tried to win..my feeling is, in retrospect, they were the epitome of the "exhibition game".

Cowboy Junkie

leonargized
Reaction score
Mkyle said:

NFL is a full time job now and these guys work out full time most of the year long.
Back in the day NFL players often had jobs in the off season and went to training camp out of shape. Not in the present NFL.
College players just can't put the time in.
Plus as another poster stated take the best players in college and some do not even make the nfl.
Defense's are so complex now Lienhart may not be prepared for what he would be getting. Another thing these players are doing it against alot of non calibar NFL players. Kind of like the hitter in baseball that puts all his stats up against middle relief.

Mkyle

Benched
Reaction score
Yeah, that was it...I just couldn't remember how it went down...

Well, that might explain how some of the AllStars were able to win against the NFL, because if it was a pre-season game, then most likely only the NFL players trying to make the team were the ones playing....

YOU ARE JUST A BUNDLE OF KNOWLEDGE!

Mkyle

Benched
Reaction score
Good observation (can I just call you leon)? I can't spell the rest! But, yeah, oh how the NFL has changed...

I always remember how Charlie Waters got a WHOPPING 15 grand for a signing bonus (well minus a few hundred dollars for some Alligator shoes that Gil Brandt sent him) LMAO

Cowboy Junkie

leonargized
Reaction score
Mkyle said:
Good observation (can I just call you leon)? I can't spell the rest! But, yeah, oh how the NFL has changed...

I always remember how Charlie Waters got a WHOPPING 15 grand for a signing bonus (well minus a few hundred dollars for some Alligator shoes that Gil Brandt sent him) LMAO
Leon would be fine

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
I believe the last time the college all-star team beat the NFL champs was in 1963 with University of Wisconsin QB Ron Vander Kelen. They beat the Chicago Bears under George Halas. Don't remember the score but I do remember that Halas was livid that his team lost to the college players. I don't think the game continued long after that and the college all-stars never came close to winning another one.

I will see what I can find on it tomorrow, I just remembered Vander Kelen's name from that game. He went on to be a player for the Vikings and Falcons in the NFL. He is most remembered for the 1963 Rose Bowl game when USC had a HUGE lead (like 42-14 or something) and Vander Kelen brought the Badgers back and almost won the game.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
leonargized said:
There is No way they could compete with any NFL team .They just wouldn't be developed enough , but as for another push at a title they seem to be loaded.

..................BINGO