USFL 23 Season , anyone watching the games?

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I checked the standings, and north division has all 4 teams with winning record.
South div has 4 teams with losing record.
This means 2 of the winning record teams in north, will not make the playoffs, while 2 losing teams will make playoffs from the south div.

they should have gone with 1 division and top 4 go to playoffs instead of using the stupid nfl format.

Saw some of the phil vs birmingham game and it is fun to watch.

The other thing is at the usfl site, on standings they dont say the city names lol which is kinda stupid for a new league.
Games are on 4-5 different networks, which again is not good for attracting fans to a new league.

When afl started they were on free network tv, and they also had the $ to get some college stars to play in afl.
Easy to follow, and the college stars made a huge difference.

bones / fassel, was at the game I was watching, scouting for future ST players for cowboys. Said he loved the usfl, and him and several others
said the nfl just got rid of kickoffs with the new rule.

But the usfl owners have made a bunch of mistakes, when it comes to running a new league.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I checked the standings, and north division has all 4 teams with winning record.
South div has 4 teams with losing record.
This means 2 of the winning record teams in north, will not make the playoffs, while 2 losing teams will make playoffs from the south div.

they should have gone with 1 division and top 4 go to playoffs instead of using the stupid nfl format.

Saw some of the phil vs birmingham game and it is fun to watch.

The other thing is at the usfl site, on standings they dont say the city names lol which is kinda stupid for a new league.
Games are on 4-5 different networks, which again is not good for attracting fans to a new league.

When afl started they were on free network tv, and they also had the $ to get some college stars to play in afl.
Easy to follow, and the college stars made a huge difference.

bones / fassel, was at the game I was watching, scouting for future ST players for cowboys. Said he loved the usfl, and him and several others
said the nfl just got rid of kickoffs with the new rule.

But the usfl owners have made a bunch of mistakes, when it comes to running a new league.

Been to a couple of the games in Canton. It's fun.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
What do they charge for tickets? If they ever play any games near DFW, Oklahoma City, or Tulsa I'd go.
yeah they are pretty cheap esp compared to nfl. Most games are close and well played. both xfl and usfl.

The bummer is ( and a flaw for these new leagues) is that if they build a good team say win a champ, or one of the top teams,
then the nfl swoops in and takes their best players, and then maybe does not even use them.

I watched the seattle team in xfl, but now nfl, Denver came in and grabbed dinucci ! So that team cant be the same next season.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They are decent games. If you are like me and just love to watch football they are entertaining.

On a side note - this is opening weekend of CFL which I love to watch. Completely different strategy.

calicowboy54

Reaction score
yeah they are pretty cheap esp compared to nfl. Most games are close and well played. both xfl and usfl.

The bummer is ( and a flaw for these new leagues) is that if they build a good team say win a champ, or one of the top teams,
then the nfl swoops in and takes their best players, and then maybe does not even use them.

I watched the seattle team in xfl, but now nfl, Denver came in and grabbed dinucci ! So that team cant be the same next season.
i think there needs to be some clause that the player can return to the xfl if they don’t get playing time in NFL

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
yeah their talent pool in XFL just seemed better as well the coaching. i was rooting for moose to do well as commissioner but sadly i think they fold or get merged with XFL
I hope that if the USFL cannot continue that at least a few teams merge into the XFL. Teams like the Stallions, Stars and Generals.

I'd even like to see the Sacramento Surge/Gold Miners come back as an XFL team.

calicowboy54

Reaction score
I hope that if the USFL cannot continue that at least a few teams merge into the XFL. Teams like the Stallions, Stars and Generals.

I'd even like to see the Sacramento Surge/Gold Miners come back as an XFL team.
yeah. id like to see a couple of the teams move over to XFL and have a longer season.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
yeah. id like to see a couple of the teams move over to XFL and have a longer season.
Well how about a xfl/usfl merger ?? then they would have 4 divisions, or maybe play each other during the season, then have a champ from each league
play in their own SB?
If they worked together they would be better off.

But they need to compete for college players, They should be able to compete with the rookie salarys of the nfl.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Well how about a xfl/usfl merger ?? then they would have 4 divisions, or maybe play each other during the season, then have a champ from each league
play in their own SB?
If they worked together they would be better off.

But they need to compete for college players, They should be able to compete with the rookie salarys of the nfl.

As long as they play some games in Canton lol.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
ok this is after week 9 standings, this is really bad !
2 of the north teams get in playoffs, all losers!
Only 2 of the south get in and they are all winners lol !
With just 2 div, it is stupid to follow the nfl system where they have 8 div. ( even in nfl it is stupid now days)

They should just take the best 4, and if a tie breaker game is needed , you have a extra week of playoffs.
This coming weekend games, only 1 of interest, new orleans has to win to lock up their playoff spot.
Playoffs start sat june 24th, by the time they finish up, nfl ps games will start.

NORTH​

W-L-T PCT PF PA HOME AWAY DIV STRK

Philadelphia Stars Stars 4-5 .444 200 235 2-3 2-2 2-3 L2

New Jersey Generals Generals 3-6 .333 181 186 1-3 2-3 3-2 W1

Pittsburgh Maulers Maulers 3-6 .333 151 172 1-4 2-2 3-2 W1

Michigan Panthers Panthers 3-6 .333 148 195 0-4 3-2 2-3 L2

SOUTH​

W-L-T PCT PF PA HOME AWAY DIV STRK

Birmingham Stallions Stallions X 7-2 .778 260 176 3-2 4-0 3-2 W4

New Orleans Breakers Breakers 6-3 .667 220 174 3-2 3-1 3-2 W2

Houston Gamblers Gamblers 5-4 .556 213 219 2-2 3-2 2-3 L1

Memphis Showboats Showboats 5-4 .556 170 186 2-2 3-2 2-3 L1

DandyDon52

Reaction score
well this had a flat ending lol.
2 teams with losing records made playoffs for the north, and winner of that made the SB ! and lost badly.

The only good playoff game was stallions vs breakers, and stallions won, they were just the best team all season.
But then playing a team with losing record in their SB is just silly.
The people running this league are not very smart. They also copy some of the bad stuff from the nfl.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I was at the championship game. I had a great time. So much fun! I know it may not be the best run league, but its fun. The crowd was amazing, and, well, it's worth watching live.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I'd like for them to expand some teams, including getting a Canton team. I was thinking cities like Dallas, Kansas City, Canton, and NY should get teams. I even thought of names for them. The Dallas Desperados (after the Dallas Arena team years ago), Kansas City Wolves (the mascot for the Chiefs is a wolf, and they have a radio station called "The Wolf"), Canton Tigers (sort of an homage to the Canton Bulldogs vs the Massillon Tigers), and the New York Dragons (after the defunct arena team by that name).

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
The Stallions tie the Stars for winning 2 championships in a row. This was also the first season in USFL history to not have the Stars in the title game.