Using a ‘93 game plan in 2019

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
One of the after shocks of the rams loss for me was what I saw when I went back and watched the game again. I usually record all the Cowboys games so I can go back and look at the game when I’m not just into the moment live.

My impression after watching that game again after a couple of weeks of letting it stew, was how badly our team got outcoached. The effort was there. Our guys played hard for a full 60 minutes. Effort wasn’t the problem at all.

DEFENSE
Here’s the obvious kicker- on defense everyone was constantly out of position. They simply used our aggression from our front 7 against us. They DID NOT physically whip us. They just hatched a game plan that took advantage of our tendencies on defense. They came up with a great game plan that didn’t require physical dominance. Let’s call it a “modern” game plan. A 2019 game plan. Lots of deception and finesse.

OFFENSE
Us on offense, it was the exact opposite. Garrett and Linehan offer no wrinkles other than an occasional three TE formation or using Noah Brown as a blocker in short yardage situations. Our offensive game plan was simple- run the ball, physically dominate them. Pass when you’re behind the chains.

Problem is what are you gonna do when Connor Williams and Joe Looney can’t block Aaron Donald? Garret’s Answer: Keep doing it anyway. In fact our game plan looked it was devised for a game in ‘93 when our Cowboys could physically dominate anyone. But it’s 2019 and no team in this league can physically dominate anyone else.

CONCLUSION
We have a lot of talent now on this roster. We aren’t that far away from anyone in this league in the talent dept. But we are way behind in the coaching dept but Jerry apparently isn’t bothered enough by that. We got beat in the film room and rams coaches offices- not on the turf. We rolled out a ‘93 game plan against the best game planner in 2019.

And If we’re ever going to compete for a championship in my lifetime again our 76 year old owner has to understand that Garrett isn’t going to get us to the promised land without a major offensive philosophy change. I’m not holding my breath. His only coaching move appears to hinge on our ability to physically dominate everyone.

SMDH.

Red Dragon

Reaction score
The Rams did to us what we did to the Seahawks.

Seattle came into town with the No. 1 rushing attack in the league. It was stifled by Dallas. Seattle lost mainly because its OC foolishly insisted on sticking with the run even when it was obvious it wasn't working.

Then a week later, in LA.......

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Seattle came into town with the No. 1 rushing attack in the league. It was stifled by Dallas. Seattle lost mainly because its OC foolishly insisted on sticking with the run even when it was obvious it wasn't working.

The only difference is the rams didn’t break a sweat doing it. They treated us like judo master. Use your opponents aggression to turn the tables.

Mr_437

Reaction score
The only difference is the rams didn’t break a sweat doing it. They treated us like judo master. Use your opponents aggression to turn the tables.
So the Rams Wing Chun-ed the Cowboys arse up n down the field. The biggest disappointment is there were no adjustments made to combat LA's approach.

Still need that additional NT, but these coaches need more than one trick.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
One of the after shocks of the rams loss for me was what I saw when I went back and watched the game again. I usually record all the Cowboys games so I can go back and look at the game when I’m not just into the moment live.

My impression after watching that game again after a couple of weeks of letting it stew, was how badly our team got outcoached. The effort was there. Our guys played hard for a full 60 minutes. Effort wasn’t the problem at all.

DEFENSE
Here’s the obvious kicker- on defense everyone was constantly out of position. They simply used our aggression from our front 7 against us. They DID NOT physically whip us. They just hatched a game plan that took advantage of our tendencies on defense. They came up with a great game plan that didn’t require physical dominance. Let’s call it a “modern” game plan. A 2019 game plan. Lots of deception and finesse.

OFFENSE
Us on offense, it was the exact opposite. Garrett and Linehan offer no wrinkles other than an occasional three TE formation or using Noah Brown as a blocker in short yardage situations. Our offensive game plan was simple- run the ball, physically dominate them. Pass when you’re behind the chains.

Problem is what are you gonna do when Connor Williams and Joe Looney can’t block Aaron Donald? Garret’s Answer: Keep doing it anyway. In fact our game plan looked it was devised for a game in ‘93 when our Cowboys could physically dominate anyone. But it’s 2019 and no team in this league can physically dominate anyone else.

CONCLUSION
We have a lot of talent now on this roster. We aren’t that far away from anyone in this league in the talent dept. But we are way behind in the coaching dept but Jerry apparently isn’t bothered enough by that. We got beat in the film room and rams coaches offices- not on the turf. We rolled out a ‘93 game plan against the best game planner in 2019.

And If we’re ever going to compete for a championship in my lifetime again our 76 year old owner has to understand that Garrett isn’t going to get us to the promised land without a major offensive philosophy change. I’m not holding my breath. His only coaching move appears to hinge on our ability to physically dominate everyone.

SMDH.
I appreciate what you do for this site, friend.
You and several others who contribute good and soluble content here. I'm just a day-tripper having fun along this existence, but you guys offer things that are truly what makes this site what it is.

The stuff that makes this site a playground for goobers like myself and a joy to the many obsessed fanatics who can't go a day without logging on.

Thank you @Bobhaze
Pray... continue.

Last edited:

Afigueroa22

Reaction score

I feel like they did to us what we did to the Saints.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
DEFENSE
Here’s the obvious kicker- on defense everyone was constantly out of position. They simply used our aggression from our front 7 against us.

That's exactly what it's going to look like when a team reads your tells and knows what you're going to do. They'll call a play exactly where you are not, and where the direction you're going naturally takes you out of the play, and they can just give you a helping hand in the direction you're trying to go.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So the Rams Wing Chun-ed the Cowboys arse up n down the field. The biggest disappointment is there were no adjustments made to combat LA's approach.

Still need that additional NT, but these coaches need more than one trick.
It’s interesting how the rams use formations. They almost always use the same formation but they flip sides of the field, who they put in the slot, and how they use motion. We do almost none of that.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
OFFENSE
Problem is what are you gonna do when Connor Williams and Joe Looney can’t block Aaron Donald? Garret’s Answer: Keep doing it anyway. In fact our game plan looked it was devised for a game in ‘93 when our Cowboys could physically dominate anyone.

"We do what we do"
"Next man up"

Our coaching philosophy is that our coaching philosophy is perfect, and it's up to the players to play their parts in that perfection.

Batman1980

Reaction score
"We do what we do"
"Next man up"

Our coaching philosophy is that our coaching philosophy is perfect, and it's up to the players to play their parts in that perfection.

Which has led to how many divisional round wins in the 12 years Garrett has been here? Exactly.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
"We do what we do"
"Next man up"

Well said. It goes back to Garrett’s mantra about “finish the fight” as if physically whipping your opponent is the only way to beat them.

Tom Landry was the master of finesse in an era where most NFL teams just tried to whip you into submission. Landry was ahead of his time regarding how to beat teams you may not match up with as well. I think our defense was physically superior to the rams but their HC knew that and just devised a way to use our physicality against us.

Daktozekecoop

Reaction score
I thought we WERE physically out played, and badly in the Rams game. I saw many missed tackles etc. I came away feeling we were tired. That having to dig out of a 3 and 5 hole meant every game from there, was virtually a must win. And at the end, we really could have benefited from a bye. We were gassed. Having Cooper the whole year would have likely meant 3 or 4 more wins and a bye. That said, I would love better less predictable coaching, of course. The thing about the 90's team is, it was a simple game plan, but it was not predictable. We threw the other team off balance and them punched them in the mouth. Over and over and over again.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I thought we WERE physically out played, and badly in the Rams game. I saw many missed tackles etc. I came away feeling we were tired. That having to dig out of a 3 and 5 hole meant every game from there, was virtually a must win. And at the end, we really could have benefited from a bye. We were gassed. Having Cooper the whole year would have likely meant 3 or 4 more wins and a bye. That said, I would love better less predictable coaching, of course. The thing about the 90's team is, it was a simple game plan, but it was not predictable. We threw the other team off balance and them punched them in the mouth. Over and over and over again.
Yep. Jason Garrett and Scott Linehan < Jimmy Johnson and Norv Turner.

Batman1980

Reaction score
Well said. It goes back to Garrett’s mantra about “finish the fight” as if physically whipping your opponent is the only way to beat them.

Tom Landry was the master of finesse in an era where most NFL teams just tried to whip you into submission. Landry was ahead of his time regarding how to beat teams you may not match up with as well. I think our defense was physically superior to the rams but their HC knew that and just devised a way to use our physicality against us.

I hate his mantra of fighting for 60 minutes. Fighting for 60 minutes is nice at the pee wee or high school level but this is the NFL. The objective should be do to whatever it takes to win every single game, period.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I appreciate what you do for this site, friend.
You and several others who contribute good and soluble content here. I'm just a day-tripper having fun along this existence, but you guys offer things that are truly what makes this site what it is.

The stuff that makes this site a playground for goobers like myself and a joy to the many obsessed fanatics who can't go a day without logging on.

Thank you @Bobhaze
Pray... continue.
Thank you my friend. You’re one of “the good guys” that make this place fun to loiter around!

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Garrett's philosophy and choices are all about "don't blame me".
He manages games instead of leading them. He plays “not to lose” instead of playing to win. He seems more worried about losing than determined to win. He looks at crossroads situations more like “how can we safely manage this situation?” instead of “how can we take advantage of this situation?”

In short, Garrett is a manager, not a leader.

ESisback

Reaction score

DEFENSE

OFFENSE

CONCLUSION

SMDH.

Well said Hazey! Nice read.